hawkaye

Fantasy caravan salesperson training school

Posted (edited)

I imagine nearly all of us have been subjected to the foibles, whims and downright lies of caravan salespeople. We are looking for only our fourth caravan in nearly 40 years of caravan use so we're living it right now.

Here's the challenge; your career has taken a bit of a downturn and you are now a trainer for caravan sales staff. What 2 rules would you drum into your class?

Your salespeople should have 3 simple objectives; 1) profitable sales, 2) a happy customer likely to give you repeat business and 3) your more sensitive trainees' conscience should remain untroubled after a day's work.

I'll start off.

1) Have caravans on site unlocked for easy viewing. We've had to walk because the salespeople were with punters and there was no-one to give us a key for vans we wanted to look inside.

2) Don't make stuff up when the easily accessible brochure in the sales office can prove a salesperson wrong.

Any takers?

Edited by hawkaye

I just want the vans unlocked and the dealer leaving me alone for a good look around. Prices I get later by email from many dealers anyway.

My 2 local dealers both have all their caravans and motorhomes unlooked and you can just go in and sit in them all day if you want.  They just say ‘give me a shout if you need any help’ and they leave you to it.

• Like 1
  • +1 3

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My 2 local dealers both have all their caravans and motorhomes unlooked and you can just go in and sit in them all day if you want.  They just say ‘give me a shout if you need any help’ and they leave you to it.

+1 for exactly the same for our local dealer in S. Cumbria.

Plus another 1, our dealer will also provide a cup of coffee whilst you are sat in a van, I am sure if I asked they could provide us with a pair of slippers.

Our main criteria for Dealers is Honesty 

A full and conscientious PDI goes a long way!

Actually, if you look at the dealers who consistently get awards for customer service from magazine customer satisfaction surveys you will find that you have some pretty good examples to learn from.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Our main criteria for Dealers is Honesty 

Agreed, 100%. Honesty is the number one requirement. I also appreciate a non-pushy salesman/woman who is a caravan owner (and regular user) who can discuss our hobby with confidence and a degree of knowledge based authority.

Gordon.

• Like 2

As well as that stated above , I like to see a sales person with a good knowledge of the product they are selling, it's annoying to ask a question and they either tell you anything or have to go and see someone else each time for the answer. 

Posted (edited)

And I'd offer an excellent aftersales service as invariably things will need fixing. If you bought from me and lived within ?? miles away, I'd come and get your 'van when it needed an annual service. Hmmm, that's what my current dealer does :).

Edited by Pebble

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

Agreed, 100%. Honesty is the number one requirement. I also appreciate a non-pushy salesman/woman who is a caravan owner (and regular user) who can discuss our hobby with confidence and a degree of knowledge based authority.

Gordon.

However even more important is after sales service.  :D

When I bought my caravan a couple of years ago from Golden Castle Gloucester the salesman said ,after we agreed a price and said yes we wanted the caravan he said ah slight problem, some damp underneath one of the windows we will need to fix that before you can take it away.I mean he did not have to say that we would have bought it and found out later it had slight damp.So thankyou Golden Castle, we will be back when we are looking to replace ( hopefully the same salesman )

29 minutes ago, Malc Edge said:

When I bought my caravan a couple of years ago from Golden Castle Gloucester the salesman said ,after we agreed a price and said yes we wanted the caravan he said ah slight problem, some damp underneath one of the windows we will need to fix that before you can take it away.I mean he did not have to say that we would have bought it and found out later it had slight damp.So thankyou Golden Castle, we will be back when we are looking to replace ( hopefully the same salesman )

Half way honesty!

True honesty would be to have mentioned the damp before agreeing the price.

• Like 2

We once visited a dealer to look at second hand caravans.  I cannot remember whether they were unlocked or we were given keys.  What I do remember was that none of the steadies were down so we had to synchronise our movements in case a caravan tipped up.  We did not buy from them.

quite a few years ago , we were buying a brand  new caravan and the salesman showed us around and we agreed we wanted this caravan . It shocked me to see him writing the details of the one that was open  and while we were talking another family came along and looked in the same caravan. I stopped him there and then saying that no way was I buying a demo caravan. It all got sorted , but it's something to look out for. 

• +1 1

Honesty and product knowledge. And the ability to supply a fault free caravan. Thankfully, our dealer seems to have managed all three.

Posted (edited)

Ours too. Vans open and the sales people ( one is the managing director) are not pushy and know the products.

Very professional and helpful after sales service.

Excellent pdi and thorough handover on purchase.

Main reason we have stuck with Bailey (we like the vans!) plus only 10 miles from home!

Edited by 664DaveS

22 hours ago, Stevan said:

Half way honesty!

True honesty would be to have mentioned the damp before agreeing the price.

When we viewed the caravan he had a damp meter and discovered the damp as we as were in the caravan,he did not know before hand as the caravan had only just been brought in as a PX it had not even been prepared for sale.It was not even on the forecourt but in a compound away from the sales area.We were interested in this model but the one on the forecourt had a few scuffs etc so were introduced to this one.I knew right away I wanted it :rolleyes: easiest sale he had had in months :)

someone out there wouldn't consider training sales staff as downturn in their career.

though I appreciate there are plenty of poor salespeople out there, it isn't entirely fair to tarnish us all with the same brush!

7 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

someone out there wouldn't consider training sales staff as downturn in their career.

though I appreciate there are plenty of poor salespeople out there, it isn't entirely fair to tarnish us all with the same brush!

Normally is is a minority that spoil it for the majority however going by past experience we find that it is the majority that spoil it for the minority.

Edited by Durbanite

On 13/08/2019 at 09:19, Gordon said:

Gordon.

The salesman we purchased our current caravan from (Paul at Ryedale Leisure, Leicestershire) was like that. Our previous four caravans came from a large NW Midlands dealerand was a completely different experience......

While I appreciate that the legal side of towing is entirely the drivers responsibility,  a dealer mentioning licence requirements and tow car suitability would be good. Seeing the novice questions asked on various groups demonstrates that doing research beforehand isn't done by a good many.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

Seeing the novice questions asked on various groups demonstrates that doing research beforehand isn't done by a good many.

One of the reasons for that might be that many purchases are made on the spot by people who “ only popped into the dealers for a gas bottle “ or similar. I never forget the ( large ) notice in one dealers, which read “ the van you are looking at now, and will make a decision on tomorrow, was looked at by others yesterday who are making a decision today “.  Always remember that. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

I never forget the ( large ) notice in one dealers, which read “ the van you are looking at now, and will make a decision on tomorrow, was looked at by others yesterday who are making a decision today “.  Always remember that. 

The way we look at it, is if the caravan we fancy was sold in the meantime, that is life and meant to be.  We will carry on looking for what we would like as why hurry?  :D

On 15/08/2019 at 12:00, Durbanite said:

The way we look at it, is if the caravan we fancy was sold in the meantime, that is life and meant to be.  We will carry on looking for what we would like as why hurry?  :D

Very philosophical 😀. But to be human means we are sometimes impetuous and, within reason, that’s not a bad thing. 

Hi

I purchased a brand new Lunar Clubman from a large North Easter Dealer and I found the salesman to be excellent and quickly negotiated a deal which we were very happy with.

However after the excellent service from sales thing started to go wrong. The service department were an absolute joke the first service was bad as they did not carry out the work i had highlighted. They made such a mess of warranty work it had to go back to the dealers 3 times  for poor workmanship the list goes on. They even flooded my daughter's van.

My past experience has convinced me that i can put up with pushy salesmen as long as the company have a good after sales and and service department.

I now use a excellent local independent company to service the van who before Lunar went into administration did warranty work for them.

Sandy