Sign in to follow this  
Benchillian

A1 North Services

We're off to Beadnell Bay in Northumberland on Thursday. I'm looking for possible stops on the way. I've checked out services on A1M.   Durham, Washington and Scotch Corner don't seem to have any caravan parking as far as I can see (on Google Streetview). Other than Wetherby, which I know is very good, does anyone have any knowledge of suitable places for a break further north?

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

The Durham Services (junction A688) has an area for lorries, motorhomes and caravans just by their fuel station, south of the main parking. Perfectly ok for caravan parking....used it several times for lunch and comfort breaks.

DE24B0B0-2345-4B6F-92BF-9739464469ED.jpeg

Edited by ericfield

That's great - appreciate the picture. Many thanks.

There are new services on the east side at Leeming Bar J52 which are off the side of the A1(M).

9 hours ago, ericfield said:

The Durham Services (junction A688) has an area for lorries, motorhomes and caravans just by their fuel station, south of the main parking. Perfectly ok for caravan parking....used it several times for lunch and comfort breaks.

DE24B0B0-2345-4B6F-92BF-9739464469ED.jpeg

there is ALOT of work going on at Durham services at the moment. most of that greenery is not there at the moment and the lanes are narrower with loads of cones. I haven't been into that part circled since I've no need to stop there  but it is something to be aware of. 

I was at leaming bar services over the weekend, there is space for caravan parking there, not much of it though. I would avoid unless your not bothered how much you pay for fuel. I had no choice, I was running on fumes and have to pay 1.45.9/L diesel.

I agree with Anthdci as it looks like a war zone at the minute.

I would stop at Washington, lots of space, Greegs too. I stopped here last year on  the way to River Breamish, and I had only been going for about 30 minutes as the wife needed the loo :rolleyes:.

All useful info here, thank you. I don' t much like using lorry parks, but needs must. You can only drive so far with your legs crossed.

I just wish the signposting for caravan parking at services generally was clearer. Even at some of the better ones, you might get a clear 'caravans' sign as you enter, then...nothing, so you have to guess which way to go and  hope you don't end up somewhere you can't get out of. 

Some cater for caravans very well, though. Why can't they all?

There always looks to be plenty of space at Washington Services travelling north, but that may be because of the exorbitant prices they charge for fuel and it is run by Moto.

John.  

Diesel at Washington on Friday was £1.53!

Geoff

23 hours ago, Benchillian said:

All useful info here, thank you. I don' t much like using lorry parks, but needs must. You can only drive so far with your legs crossed.

I just wish the signposting for caravan parking at services generally was clearer. Even at some of the better ones, you might get a clear 'caravans' sign as you enter, then...nothing, so you have to guess which way to go and  hope you don't end up somewhere you can't get out of. 

Some cater for caravans very well, though. Why can't they all?

Money, simples. 

I guess the only way to have all these extra things that people want and free at the services is to nationalise them and be run by the government at fixed price etc.

34 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Diesel at Washington on Friday was £1.53!

Geoff

Just curious, but why do they charge such high prices? Seems to me that easy access to the filling stations on motorways should make it cheaper in fuel cost for tankers rather than the local fuelling points on A roads where longer travel times are necessary.

7 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Just curious, but why do they charge such high prices? Seems to me that easy access to the filling stations on motorways should make it cheaper in fuel cost for tankers rather than the local fuelling points on A roads where longer travel times are necessary.

Because the can, they know some people will cut it fine when travelling and wait for the  low fuel warning light to come on, then dive into the nearest filling station, they then pay a premium for the privilege.

With out access to their accounts, high lease costs on the site might be a contributing factor 

4 minutes ago, Odd days said:

With out access to their accounts, high lease costs on the site might be a contributing factor 

Which makes no financial  sense as they chose to build on that location in the first place, if the costs were so high why not build just off the motorway?

• Like 1

In general terms on any motorway services do not expect there to be a caravan section just head for the HGV section.

If you do see a sign for caravans and actually find it most probably full with HGV anyway.

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Which makes no financial  sense as they chose to build on that location in the first place, if the costs were so high why not build just off the motorway?

Sorry I didn’t know you could build what you want where you want, I thought that there would be planning restrictions and permission etc but I was wrong.

23 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Sorry I didn’t know you could build what you want where you want, I thought that there would be planning restrictions and permission etc but I was wrong.

Save your sarcasm for someone that cares.

I was questioning the logic of building something where leasing rates were high, and then having to charge over the average  cost for products to re-coupe those costs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, David 38 said:

If you do see a sign for caravans and actually find it most probably full with HGV anyway.

On my recent trip through France and the UK is the same, caravan parking spots with solo cars in them!!! Drives me mad, I always park in front of them and try and block them in if I can followed by some sarcastic comment like 'nice caravan mate'.

I refuse to move until I'm ready and if they don't like it, tough!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Save your sarcasm for someone that cares.

I was questioning the logic of building something where leasing rates were high, and then having to charge over the average  cost for products to re-coupe those costs.

Some are touchy. Why would they be allowed to build X somewhere when the government has decided it’s planning zones and it’s going to charge for X to be built there. If it was a matter of building what ever you want where ever you want don’t you think that they would be doing that already.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Oh come on Steve. When do planners have or use any logic to their projects?:unsure:

Now, that could be a subject for a posting in the Social Club.:D

• +1 1

May be the service area is owned by pension funds and need to charge a lot so they can pay the pensioners a good rate so they can get away in their caravans. Who knows.

• Haha 1

We often go to Boroughbridge and have to wait for the CCC to open!

So we go to Morrisons supermarket, its easy access. Simply follow the route shown and drive to the south end of the car park, nearly always plenty of parking, fuel average price cafe cheap. Good selection of food to buy for your break.

Return to motorway on same route or turn left out of car park and left again at the next roundabout.

morrisons.jpg

Posted (edited)

Just done our weekly shop there,two motor homes and a fifth wheeler there today,plenty of room.

Geoff

Ps Filling station with LPG and bottles.

Edited by shipbroker

How do you manage for length, even in a double bay in supermarkets ?????