Sign in to follow this  
Toby Jackson

Avondale Rialto 535/5 2003

Hi Just bought a 535/5 caravan. Can anyone tell me how to get the screw in adaptor to connect a hose pipe to the inlet? Is there a substitute available? Cheers. Toby

IMG_20190810_111732[1].jpg

Edited by Toby Jackson
Photo

The thread is the same as that used for garden taps. Hold the threaded section of the feed hose against the inlet and rotate the four spoke handle anticlockwise to engage with the threaded section of the hose termination.

The direct hose connection may be either brass or plastic as shown below.

image.pngimage.png

Alternatively a "Hoselock" style adaptor may be used to connect to short length of standard hose that is fed from a water container such as an Aquaroll.

image.pngimage.png

In each case the onboard diaphragm pump in your Rialto 535/5 is self priming.

Once cleaned the inlet should look like this.

image.png

Before use I would suggest a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of the water system by passing through a weak solution of Milton from the Aquaroll to the caravan taps. Allow this solution to remain in the pipes overnight before flushing through with a copious quantity of fresh clean water.

I hope this helps.

Gordon.

• Like 1

Hi Toby, 

In addition to Gordon's advice ( and he's the absolute guru when it comes to Avondales :) , helped me with loads of stuff in the past )  I'd say that the Avondale water system is excellent. You can even use a mains feed into that connector if you're on a "fully serviced" pitch.  

One other thing I found with mine is that the filter ( inside the caravan next to the pump) needed a clean now and again.

ALSO I found the pump on  my Avocet a bit noisy ( the sound travelled through the van floor a

bit) so I re-fixed it on a piece of ply with a piece of under felt twix the ply and the caravan floor.

Happy vanning

cheers

Jim 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

One other thing I found with mine is that the filter ( inside the caravan next to the pump) needed a clean now and again.

Personally Jim, while I understand the thinking, I've always felt that inline filters are only of benefit if the caravan is used regularly, and the filter replaced often. If the system is left primed for long periods of time it can be a breeding ground for all sorts of nasties. Consequently I have usually removed the water filter from our caravans, preferring to keep the system (including the Aquaroll) clean, and drained down if out of use for more than a week or two, and always when the caravan is unoccupied during winter months.

My feeling is that if chlorinated tap water is safe to drink at home, that same water when passed through a clean caravan system should be equally safe. I have used caravans all of my life (I'm now retired) and have never been ill from drinking the "caravan water". For those worried by the occasional mild chlorine taste in their tea, put the water in a jug and leave it there long enough for the chlorine to evaporate before use in a kettle - no filter is necessary. 

• Like 1

I have always felt that caravan water filters are of more benefit to the seller's profit than the user's health. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hi - many thanks to you all.  Regards  Toby