paulthomas

Portugal- tanker drivers' strike

As from today tanker drivers are on strike in Portugal. Fuel is being rationed and not all fuel stations will have fuel available.

Details available on various Portuguese websites.

Their Govt has now rationed drivers to 25 litres each.

It was only 15 litres on Friday, have you got the right number or is it “fat finger syndrome”?

Andy

Hope it does not spread to France and Spain, we had enough trouble in France two years ago getting fuel to see us through from Spain to Calais

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Hope it does not spread to France and Spain, we had enough trouble in France two years ago getting fuel to see us through from Spain to Calais

Do not think the French will strike yet, most of them are on holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MGBGTV8 said:

Do not think the French will strike yet, most of them are on holiday.

The French prefer a strike rather than a holiday  ;) 

15 litres limit in "designated" fuel stations.

25 litres in others ...if available.

On 13/08/2019 at 09:08, paulthomas said:

15 litres limit in "designated" fuel stations.

25 litres in others ...if available.

We are in Portugal at present you correct we have not found it to difficult to find fuel, to our understanding the strikes will be over by Monday but who knows it's a strike.

The strike has now been "postponed" until Friday to allow for talks.

7 hours ago, paulthomas said:

The strike has now been "postponed" until Friday to allow for talks.

We have not seen anything about a postponement. On the upside the roads are a lot quieter, we managed to get our 25 litres yesterday without queuing.

I have just seen this posted this morning.

OK People, after all night negotiations broke down this morning without agreement, the strike/greve industrial action by the unions of tanker (fuel) drivers is set to continue as it has during the past 6 days...!! THE FUEL STRIKE CONTINUES and certain areas may experience short supplies of fuel.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for this.

Yup.

Just checked.

Bit depressing as we travel down from Bilbao on Wednesday. I think we will now drive further South, to Seville, fill up there and then travel West to Lagos. Longer than our usual route which is via Casares and directly into Portugal from there.

Edited by paulthomas

10 hours ago, paulthomas said:

Thanks for this.

Yup.

Just checked.

Bit depressing as we travel down from Bilbao on Wednesday. I think we will now drive further South, to Seville, fill up there and then travel West to Lagos. Longer than our usual route which is via Casares and directly into Portugal from there.

We are just east of Lagos you can find fuel fairly easy at the moment it's limited to 25 litres per fill. I would not get depressed and take your best route. Enjoy your holiday.

I'll be crossing into Portugal from Seville on 12th September for 3 weeks so I hope the dispute is settled by then.

Reuters now report that the strike has been called off for further talks (again).

On 18/08/2019 at 11:42, paulthomas said:

Which route do you take from Caceres and are there any decent overnight campsites on the way ?

For me the journey from Caceres to Touriscampo at Luz is just too much for one day so I've decided to overnight at an ACSI site at Hinojos just to the west of Seville. It's further but we have the time and it will allow us to get the awning set up at Touriscampo before happy hour B)

Posted (edited)

We are heading for Turiscampo too.

From Carcares we head west to Evora and then use the toll roads down to Algarve and then West to Lagos.

Can't remember the road designations but will check.

310 miles approx but easy driving on major roads and motorways (tolls).

If you want to split the journey there is a caravan site in Evora ( Camping Obitur Evora). Don't know what it's like as the Obitur chain sites are variable. Should be OK for one nighter though.

The journey from Seville to Lagos, on the other hand is approx 175 miles.

(By the time we arrive at Turiscampo all I want is a drink...or two!

The awning and subsequent divorce can wait until the next day :) ).

Edited by paulthomas

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, paulthomas said:

From Carcares we head west to Evora and then use the toll roads down to Algarve and then West to Lagos.

If you want to split the journey there is a caravan site in Evora ( Camping Obitur Evora). Don't know what it's like as the Obitur chain sites are variable. Should be OK for one nighter though.

We used this route to Turiscampo 3 years ago , we stopped at Salamanca  (Regio ) &  Caceres  for an easy trip down & some lovely sightseeing then carried on into Portugal to Evora , we stayed at Camping Orbitur which is quite easy to find & after setting up we drove into town & parked near the Municipal gardens which allowed us to walk in & explore the lovely centre ,

the campsite is perfectly ok , nice friendly staff & everything was clean , we visited in May so I don’t know what it will be like in August .

After leaving Evora we used the ring road to head to the Algarve , I don’t know what the Toll system is like now but back then you had to register your numberplate to use East - West motorways, I did mine at the first services on the A22 , both the services staff & the Toll people were very helpful & spoke perfect English .I travelled North after the Algarve to spend some time in the Serra da Estrella national park & the registered toll card covered the trip back to Salamanca on the A25 also East/West  Mway.

Edited by stevew1

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

We used this route to Turiscampo 3 years ago , we stopped at Salamanca  (Regio ) &  Caceres  for an easy trip down & some lovely sightseeing then carried on into Portugal to Evora , we stayed at Camping Orbitur which is quite easy to find & after setting up we drove into town & parked near the Municipal gardens which allowed us to walk in & explore the lovely centre ,

the campsite is perfectly ok , nice friendly staff & everything was clean , we visited in May so I don’t know what it will be like in August .

After leaving Evora we used the ring road to head to the Algarve , I don’t know what the Toll system is like now but back then you had to register your numberplate to use East - West motorways, I did mine at the first services on the A22 , both the services staff & the Toll people were very helpful & spoke perfect English .I travelled North after the Algarve to spend some time in the Serra da Estrella national park & the registered toll card covered the trip back to Salamanca on the A25 also East/West  Mway.

Thanks for that helpful info.

We now have an "E Movis"tag for Spain and Portugal. It makes tolls much easier as you can just drive straight through them using a dedicated lane. The tag bleeps to let you know it has registered, and the toll is deducted from your bank account. We used it last year and it made the toll booths effortless.

1 hour ago, paulthomas said:

Thanks for that helpful info.

We now have an "E Movis"tag for Spain and Portugal. It makes tolls much easier as you can just drive straight through them using a dedicated lane. The tag bleeps to let you know it has registered, and the toll is deducted from your bank account. We used it last year and it made the toll booths effortless.

I’ll look into one of those once I get my van back on the road 🥺🥺.

Thanks for the info 👍

Portuguese tolls are eye watering.  We drove from the Algarve to Porto for a couple of days, and the tolls there and back over £100 (about 1100 miles)

19 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Portuguese tolls are eye watering.  We drove from the Algarve to Porto for a couple of days, and the tolls there and back over £100 (about 1100 miles)

Ouch!!

I prefer to NOT use a “toll tag” in France, because at least by going through the pay lane you get to SEE how much you are being charged, so you can then make the decision not to return the same way if it’s too expensive.

£100 makes our VED for the year, with unlimited free motorway access, look cheap doesn’t it.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ouch!!

I prefer to NOT use a “toll tag” in France, because at least by going through the pay lane you get to SEE how much you are being charged, so you can then make the decision not to return the same way if it’s too expensive.

£100 makes our VED for the year, with unlimited free motorway access, look cheap doesn’t it.

Andy

Yep, and their Motorways are deserted!

23 hours ago, paulthomas said:

20 hours ago, stevew1 said:

Thanks both for that useful info.

To minimise the tolls and effects of any possible fuel disruption we'll continue with plan A and stay overnight with the flies in the forest at Doñarrayan-Park near Hinojos.

We use the APRR toll tag which is valid in France, Spain, Italy, and Portugal.

I don't believe I need to register this tag for Portugal ?

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Yep, and their Motorways are deserted!

The reason isn’t TOO hard to work out is it.

The trouble is that for some routes they have you pretty much over a barrel!  We left it a “bit” late to leave Frejus on the south coast to get our ferry out of Cherbourg  (the weather was so nice!) so had to bite the bullet and peage  it all the way. I think it was something like €84 in tolls. That’s a tank full of diesel!!! To take the non peage route would have been another days travelling at least (plus more diesel but not a tankful eh?) 

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Andy