flikerfred

Clipsal Screwless Sockets

Hi,

does anyone know how you remove black, screwless clipsal fittings? They fit almost flush with the wallboard, no screws or screw covers. The back box has what look like fold up tabs, 2 top, 2 bottom, but the type that once in that's it. Any help would be appreciated thanks. The van is a 2004 Elddis Avante 505.

A picture might help please?

Posted (edited)

Clipsall invariably have little plastic plugs that cover the screw heads... in my experience.

They need a small screwdriver to lever out, usually damaging them.  A You Tube video of the 2006 caravan show that style in black.  Unless a previous owner has fitted something else as a modification?

A Clipsall catalogue from RS website

https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/002c/0900766b8002cc1d.pdf

So a photo is definitely needed.  But the cover will lever off somehow and just clip onto a frame beneath it.

Edited by Rodders53
last para

Posted (edited)

They can be removed with care.

I used a small penknife with a thin but wide blade, inserted lengthwise (i.e. not using the point)  with gentle leverage at each side, working around the socket top, bottom, left then right a little at a time until those little tabs let go.

Warming the socket with a hairdrier or similar first should help if the plastics have become brittle with age.

You'll probably need to be brave when you want to re-assemble without breaking the tabs but it is possible.

Why do you need to remove?

Edited by CJ1149
typo

Thanks for the replies. I tried to post photos but keep getting message basically saying file is too large, even for 1 photo! Oh I think it's worked!!!!!! See Photos

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

Can you see a maker's name anywhere?

1 hour ago, flikerfred said:

Thanks for the replies. I tried to post photos but keep getting message basically saying file is too large, even for 1 photo! Oh I think it's worked!!!!!! See Photos

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

The clips on the back hold the box to the wall board, similar to the way wall board boxes do for stud wall use at home.

You have to prise off the front surround to expose the screws that hold the face to the box. Insert tool between box outer frame and faceplate and prise off. You have to be careful not to damage it with metal tool (screwdriver). Pliastic is better, like car trim removal tools.

Thanks everyone, AndyK159, I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on, Cheers

Hi, well it worked, finally got them off. Why is it so difficult?

Anyway, loads of wires now. Does anyone know what each fused switch feeds? I mistakenly thought they were aligned with the appliance, i.e. the one on the left was below the Truma water control, and the one on the right below the Truma heater control, but upon inspection they are not connected at all. Also there is a three core wire linking both fused spurs. Why would this be? Again any information would be a great help, thanks in anticipation.

Sorry the fused switches are not linked. Forget that bit!!!!!!

13 hours ago, flikerfred said:

Also there is a three core wire linking both fused spurs. Why would this be?

One 3-core (Live=brown, Neutral=blue, Earth= green/yellow) will be mains incoming to one switched spur box from elsewhere (likely the consumer unit).  Another 3-core will 'loop on' to the next fused spur input.  Another cable may then loop on to supply another mains switch or even a socket?

The output from each fused switch will feed the appliance.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but - in asking these most basic questions - you don't seem competent to be doing it.  Safer to employ an electrician (preferably a mobile caravan technician with electrical qualifications) to do it properly.

• +1 1

I agree with Rodders.  You risk yourself and family if you do mains work when you are not qualified.