stevew1

Robinson’s caravans business sold !

Heard about this a couple of months ago , but now it’s official , Robinson’s have sold up & been taken over by a private equity fund , the fund managers are also looking to acquire more caravan dealerships this year ?.

https://www.saalbachequities.com/post/saalbach-equities-acquire-22m-revenue-robinsons-caravans

reading the article it seems that revenue is first on their agenda , hope customer service is also there 😟😟

Posted (edited)

Carpet baggers is at it again, remember Discover when they bought some good caravan dealership then having to close all of them. one of the company was Barrons caravan which had a few dealership across the country.

Edited by oldboy
  • +1 2

4 hours ago, oldboy said:

Carpet baggers is at it again, remember Discover when they bought some good caravan dealership then having to close all of them. one of the company was Barrons caravan which had a few dealership across the country.

Hi oldboy.  You beat me to it.

Could it be that they are some of bunch that were involved in the demise of  all of the little companies that eventually made-up Discovery ?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi oldboy.  You beat me to it.

Could it be that they are some of bunch that were involved in the demise of  all of the little companies that eventually made-up Discovery ?

I don't think David Morrow is still in the trade in any way.

geoff

Like a rising Phoenix, Newport Caravans did make a resurrection after Discover. Well done Newport Caravans. I have no connection with Newport Caravans only as customer and it's my nearest dealers, for anything to do with caravans?

I hope this new takeover wont go down the Discover route! 

There are not too many caravan dealerships around so if this new group start buying, ruining them and closing them it will be bad news, all to possibly make a quick buck.

Discover caused the loss of our 3 local caravan dealers, Barrons at Culcheth where we bought our first caravan, Barrons at Coppull were we then had to go for servicing after they closed Culcheth and Harringtons at Delamere which had a good accessory shop. We nearly bought our second caravan at Coppull but fortunately they did not have the model we wanted on show at the time and Glossop caravans did so we bought it there. Discover had gone a few months after getting the second caravan so we were lucky going to Glossop.

2 hours ago, shipbroker said:

I don't think David Morrow is still in the trade in any way.

geoff

Hi Geoff. Who said anything about David Morrow,I asked/suggested :--

Thought he was the man that bought all the smaller companies up to create Discovery....?

Must be wrong,often am!

Geoff

31 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Thought he was the man that bought all the smaller companies up to create Discovery....?

Must be wrong,often am!

Geoff

I seem to recall that a bunch of former car salesmen hoovered up established, and often family owned,  caravan dealers set up Discovery. They proclaimed that they would make the caravan dealer sector much more efficient and more like the motor vehicle sales sector.

I was very disappointed with the service which was carried out by the Discovery owned former Harringtons family business at Delamere and I exchanged correspondence with Morrow wihout success. I did not continue with the correspondence when it became evident to me that they were asset stripping the Delamere site.

Discovery group seemed to be operating from a site in the north east.

According to the Companies House register the two new, or more recent, directors of Robinsons Caravans Limited as of 20 May 2019, are named as the partners who seem to be running Saalbach Equities. :rolleyes:

Furthermore a limited liability partnership named Robinsons Caravans Partnership LLP was set up with the same partners as above in June 2019

Edited by DeeTee
Added link and sentence

52 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

According to the Companies House register the two new, or more recent, directors of Robinsons Caravans Limited as of 20 May 2019, are named as the partners who seem to be running Saalbach Equities. :rolleyes:

Furthermore a limited liability partnership named Robinsons Caravans Partnership LLP was set up with the same partners as above in June 2019

Saaalbach Equities website talks about building a portfolio of caravan dealers [7?] and invites expressions of interest from existing Dealerships. Other general text in the 'About Us' seems to suggest that the limited liability partners act as facilitators [drawing in interested investors?] but it could be the 'chatty style of wording' that creates a warm, fuzzy feeling, but leaves little hard information rather than a more formal, semi-legal wording that would, perhaps, provide firmer information.

The Mission Statement talks about acquiring, growing and transforming businesses and there is a mention of 'if you have taken you business as far as you can, or if you want to retire' invitation to contact the Partners. They do stress the longer term commitment, and refer to the portfolio [of businesses], and they make specific comment about avoiding the mistakes made by an earlier would-be 'caravan empire builder', so they seem pretty confident that there is a business/profit potential in acquiring caravan dealerships.

It will be interesting to see how their plans develop.

Steve

31 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Saaalbach Equities website talks about building a portfolio of caravan dealers [7?] and invites expressions of interest from existing Dealerships. Other general text in the 'About Us' seems to suggest that the limited liability partners act as facilitators [drawing in interested investors?] but it could be the 'chatty style of wording' that creates a warm, fuzzy feeling, but leaves little hard information rather than a more formal, semi-legal wording that would, perhaps, provide firmer information.

The Mission Statement talks about acquiring, growing and transforming businesses and there is a mention of 'if you have taken you business as far as you can, or if you want to retire' invitation to contact the Partners. They do stress the longer term commitment, and refer to the portfolio [of businesses], and they make specific comment about avoiding the mistakes made by an earlier would-be 'caravan empire builder', so they seem pretty confident that there is a business/profit potential in acquiring caravan dealerships.

It will be interesting to see how their plans develop.

Steve

They certainly Talk the Talk but not sure that they can walk the walk.

The current Aquisitions pipeline shows a number of UK revenue producing companies with a total revenue of £722,000,000 . There is no indication of how these acquisitions are financed. Despite this the only LLP which has been created created is the Robinsons.

4 hours ago, DeeTee said:

They certainly Talk the Talk but not sure that they can walk the walk.

The current Aquisitions pipeline shows a number of UK revenue producing companies with a total revenue of £722,000,000 . There is no indication of how these acquisitions are financed. Despite this the only LLP which has been created created is the Robinsons.

That's why I queried whether the partners' role was drawing in other investors, I couldn't see any information of how things are 'stacked up', and for self-protection purposes, I kept clear of posting anything which I could not substantiate. Just emptied my Bank Account to pay for my cruise; don't want to have to do so to hire defence lawyers ... As far as I am aware, my comments are confined to 'what the website states'. I think it will be an interesting business project to follow in development, and the partners seem very positive about the potential.

Steve

Ways to make more money out of something include selling more, cutting costs, higher prices but any money borrowed to buy the businesses gives higher costs to existing businesses. The new company will also want a good return so possible results of all this may not benefit caravan owners but I hope to be wrong and look forward to caravan prices and accessories reducing in price and a growth in the number of dealers.

The reason the business was sold was told to me a couple of months ago , don’t know how accurate it is but basically 3 of the 4 siblings of the original owner wanted their share of the money out of the pot , the guy who has been running the show was forced to sell against his wishes to pay them all off & he is remaining in charge for two years to affect a smooth changeover .

Hope everything runs ok , especially for the staff .