marchie1053

Dover & Calais Border Control Delays

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

lol,

happy holidays Steve.

Lots of Brits have this illusion that food in France is better, it’s not, in many places it’s bad language  removed. The UK has produce and restaurants to rival anywhere in Europe.

Why are you going ‘quiet’ ? them foreigners do have t’internet tha nos 

We're on a cruise with a port of call on nearly every day; just one sea day, so lots of self guided city walks, hundreds of photos, even more walking when back aboard, off to bed early , ready to start again the following day. The ports scheduled are largely new to me [but we're finishing up in Le Havre, 'cos I like France :P], so I want to see as much as possible and prepare a list for the return visit! Mrs Marchie may have other ideas; she's spotted a cruise around South America, but the price seems to indicate I'd be asking theTravel Agent for a P/Ex on the car and looking for a 48 months PCP for the balance!

Steve

Steve

14 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

We're on a cruise with a port of call on nearly every day; just one sea day, so lots of self guided city walks, hundreds of photos, even more walking when back aboard, off to bed early , ready to start again the following day. The ports scheduled are largely new to me [but we're finishing up in Le Havre, 'cos I like France :P], so I want to see as much as possible and prepare a list for the return visit! Mrs Marchie may have other ideas; she's spotted a cruise around South America, but the price seems to indicate I'd be asking theTravel Agent for a P/Ex on the car and looking for a 48 months PCP for the balance!

Steve

Steve

Nothing wrong with liking France Steve, we all like different things.

My daughter is currently on a cruise with my wife’s parents, looks nice but something that’s not on my ‘to do’ list.

17 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Did they come into the UK via a Dutch Port? Never any problems with the Dutch, it's only the French that cause dramas.

In 2016 when I wanted to go back to Germany after my holiday in Cornwall the estimated delay for my ferry at Dover was 48 to 72 hours this was caused 100% by the French. I drove up to Hull, got a Ferry to Rotterdam, no dramas with the Dutch but because of the French I was at least £700 out of pocket. Yet another reason why I don't like them.

Why would Britain give the Frenchies access to it's Fishing grounds? If they start that malarkey, they should make excellent targets for the Royal Navy to practice against.

What Navy

We do all our own cooking so what food and drink is like in restaurants is largely irrelevant to us wherever we are. It's the weather and surrounding countryside which determines where we go to. On that basis we've found some wonderful spots in most countries that we've visited, from Scandinavia down to Spain and that includes France, the UK and Ireland. I wouldn't discount any country as a holiday destination, although some years ago when I planned to tour around the Baltic Sea my wife refused to consider transiting through Russia. Anyway, we're off to the French Alps for a week or two next week.

11 minutes ago, Lutz said:

my wife refused to consider transiting through Russia.

I'd love to tour Russia. I watched that travel documentary recently with Simon Reeve, it looks like a very interesting place.

My daughter was in St Petersburg yesterday, she was very impressed and my wife's grandmother was Russian so Mrs B fancies going there too, maybe when we're retired.

16 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I wouldn't discount any country as a holiday destination

I'd give Iraq a miss

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'd love to tour Russia. I watched that travel documentary recently with Simon Reeve, it looks like a very interesting place.

My daughter was in St Petersburg yesterday, she was very impressed and my wife's grandmother was Russian so Mrs B fancies going there too, maybe when we're retired.

I'd give Iraq a miss

Maybe as a package tour I'd consider Russia, but I was talking about touring with a caravan.

I'd have my reservations with towing the caravan all the way to Iraq let alone touring the country once there.

Without the caravan I'm open to almost anything. I'm off on business to India in September, a country that was never on my bucket list. On the other hand I've visited some pretty out of the way places on holiday, like the islands of St Pierre & Miquelon, for example. Most people don't even have a clue where they are.

14 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m off on a droning weekend in a bit in my massive caravan, I won’t post about though 

Hurrah !!!

Andy

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Hurrah !!!

Andy

No dramas but as it obviously upsets fellow contributors when I mention:

France

Germany

Large German caravans and appropriate tow vehicle

Things not the 'norm' in the UK

please advise me on what I'm allowed to post about?

Posted (edited)

Your posts are great Borussia!

We like France, each to their own!

Also like Germany since we spent time there in my RAF days. We have been back in fact did a couple of river cruises.  It wa great to see the former DDR and other ex Soviet bloc countries!

We did a Baltic cruse with overnight in St Petersburg, well worth a visit.

No issue with german vans and we have a naughty 4x4 to tow our van!:D

Some folk just take offence at everything!:)

I am retired ,too laid back to get wound up very often!

Edited by 664DaveS
  • Thanks 1

Cheers DaveS

3 hours ago, Lutz said:

I'm off on business to India in September

I'd love to go just for the food, did you see Rick Stein's food series about the various parts of India and it's surprisingly varied cuisine? I like to think of myself as a bit of a foody and pretty decent cook so I'd definitely like to do a 'food tour' of India. Unfortunately Mrs B refuses to fly so it won't be happening.

I went to college in Bradford in the 60s and ignited my love of food from the Indian sub-continent.

I would love to explore India but I'd give Kashmir a miss at the moment, although I can't see a trip happening anytime soon because I too won't go in one of those aerial aluminium coffins.

We did four independent tours of India in recent years - travelling by train and staying in modest hotels. I won't bore you all, but will answer  PMs from anyone going out there.

IMG_0267.JPG

Have done a few business trips to India, not my favourite place in the world apart from the food👍,  China trips are the same and even when you ask what’s this? And get told you don’t want know, still has never put me off the food.

back on topic I use ferry and train quite a lot and 9 times out of 10 if your going to get a delay it’s on the French side. If it’s working it works well if it’s not god help you...

regarding France wherever I go in Europe I have go through FRANCE, again not my favourite place but it’s just there..

i told a estate agent once that our house comes with a kitchen, not a room we use much but it was just there when we bought the place.

not sure what that’s got to do with France but thought it might amuse.

Mr Borussia, keep it up buddy, your posts are always worth a chuckle😀

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'd love to tour Russia.

I've been to Russia 5 or 6 times, albeit only in and around and Moscow, wonderful country and people but unless you have a LOT of money, don't expect to eat well. I've certainly never eaten so many McDonald's anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

China trips are the same and even when you ask what’s this? And get told you don’t want know, still has never put me off the food.

A few years ago we went to China on our holibobs (fan-blooming-tastic) On one of the (numerous) internal flights we were served some food(?). I peeled back the tinfoil sleeve on the top of the tinfoil dish containing the hot bit of the meal. 

For the very FIRST time in my entire life I made the decision I was not prepared to even try it.  It was full of what looked like long grey/purple convoluted worms. I reckon it was chickens intestines or something equally unappealing. 

I never did find out if my suspicions on s were correct.

For the rest of the trip we had excellent Chinese food. Having said that it was many months after our return before we felt the need to visit our local Chinese takeaway though!!

Andy

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

A few years ago we went to China on our holibobs (fan-blooming-tastic

My in-laws travelled across China by train, they loved it too.

My workmate is Vietnamese and my sister-in-law is Singaporean, both of them tell me that the Chinese/Asian food you get in Europe isn't authentic.

I'd love to sample real Chinese street food, worms, insects etc wouldn't bother me, I'd try anything (maybe not dog).

Edited by Borussia 1900

I too have eaten (or refused to) some pretty weird things in countries like China and Korea. Night markets in China are great places to discover the delightful and downright disgusting. It is fairly normal to be approached by someone holding an animal or reptile of unknown species (always alive of coarse, because unlike us, the Chinese don't like to buy dead animals). I have experienced the amazing portable cooking range (mains coal gas pipe, 3 bricks and a drain pipe) which roars like a rocket while the wok is placed on top. The wriggling victim - perhaps a bird or snake,  is popped into the wok for a moment and then presented for consumption at the plastic table. Cobra a particular delicacy I remember, but I refused the Armadillo. Never experienced Dog in China, but did in Korea.

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My workmate is Vietnamese and my sister-in-law is Singaporean, both of them tell me that the Chinese/Asian food you get in Europe isn't authentic.

I'd love to sample real Chinese street food, worms, insects etc wouldn't bother me, I'd try anything (maybe not dog).

I was in China several times on business. My longest stay was for three months and that was right up north, not far from the border with Russia and North Korea. On the whole, the food at least in that part of the country was really nice. What really put me off though was their table manners. For example, they would eat shrimps whole and then spit the shell, etc. out afterwards. It was also very common to light a cigarette between courses. The only time that I capitulated was when I was served snake to eat with chopsticks. Maybe I would have given it a try with knife and fork where I could have separated the meat from the bones before putting it into my mouth.

I don't expect to see much of India when I am there. It'll be more a matter of being picked up at the airport and then shuttling every day between hotel and factory until it's time to return home a couple of weeks later.

17 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

What, more than France?? :D

Sorry, couldn’t resist !!

Well I COULD, but chose not to, bad me ;)

Andy 

My in-laws don't like France anymore than I do :P

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

What, more than France?? :D

Sorry, couldn’t resist !!

Well I COULD, but chose not to, bad me ;)

Andy 

👍😂

In fact out of my entire circle of friends and family I only know one couple who regularly holiday in France.

13 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

In fact out of my entire circle of friends and family I only know one couple who regularly holiday in France.

I see you choose your friends carefully. :D

Just now, Lutz said:

I see you choose your friends carefully. :D

Yes, I have a vetting procedure, if they like swimming in their underpants and standing up to do a poo they're refused friendship :)

• Haha 1

Going back to the original subject Briefly.  I got to a very busy Eurotunnel Calais Wednesday at 22.00 just passport checks.

on my return yesterday (Thursday) at 18.00 I personally did not get stopped but they were doing the usual swab check on some vehicles and random boot searches on others. so no great delay at security.