marchie1053

Dover & Calais Border Control Delays

DFDS reporting 45 minutes delay at Border Control [in addition to the 'Check In at least 45 minutes before Sailing Time stipulation] at both Dover and Calais. Eurostar was reporting yesterday that the delays were caused by 'a lack of open lanes at Border Control'. Piecing together posts from Twitter, the trains are running to timetable, but insufficient cars are clearing Border Control to fill the trains, so passengers are being loaded onto the first available train. One person reports arriving at Dover at 14.30 for a 16.20 train but spent over 90 minutes yesterday waiting for Border Control clearance, so were loaded at 17:07.

Steve

When we travelled by tunnel in may there was a long delay when we approached Border Control, Senora M asked why, the guy said a lot of people had not completed their API (Advanced Passenger Info)

I hope that no delays for the same reason  are experienced a week on Thursday

We'll be visiting the UK again in October in the run up to Brexit, as usual Mrs B is flapping already, I've told her if she carries on flapping at her current rate we'll be able to fly over.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Les Medes said:

When we travelled by tunnel in may there was a long delay when we approached Border Control, Senora M asked why, the guy said a lot of people had not completed their API (Advanced Passenger Info)

I hope that no delays for the same reason  are experienced a week on Thursday

In early March [when Brexit was still scheduled for 29th March], French Customs Officers put in a pay claim for the extra work and stress that the new processes to check British travellers would involve. To show the extra work involved, the French Customs Officers began checking every British passport ...

We went to France via Newhaven in late April so I never caught up with the outcome [or continuation] of the semi-industrial action. The absence of Open Lanes might be a variation of MO [just guesswork on my part, based on experience of French workers tactics when they get a bee in their beret].

No evidence of any weather related problems, since North Sea crossings are running to time and I suspect that the sea breeze might be a tad fresher on that route!

Safe trip!

Steve

PS Just back from last [but not 'very last & final' ...] shopping trip pre-cruise on Wednesday [goody bags stocked up with biscuits, chocolate and fruit for the 2 day slog!] and decided to top up the euro notes since there will be lots of café breaks with some 12 ports of call. Exchange Rate has dropped again, and best available via the Pawnbrokers was €1.0555. A couple of places were offering €1.0480'ish. 'just a cappuccino and 2 straws, please ...'

I think one will have to become accustomed to longer delays at the ports on both sides of the Channel. If the 'no deal' option goes through it can only get worse as the UK will then be treated by the EU on a par with countries like the Congo or Bolivia or whatever.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marchie1053 said:

In early March [when Brexit was still scheduled for 29th March], French Customs Officers put in a pay claim for the extra work and stress that the new processes to check British travellers would involve. To show the extra work involved, the French Customs Officers began checking every British passport ...

We went to France via Newhaven in late April so I never caught up with the outcome [or continuation] of the semi-industrial action. The absence of Open Lanes might be a variation of MO [just guesswork on my part, based on experience of French workers tactics when they get a bee in their beret].

No evidence of any weather related problems, since North Sea crossings are running to time and I suspect that the sea breeze might be a tad fresher on that route!

Safe trip!

Steve

PS Just back from last [but not 'very last & final' ...] shopping trip pre-cruise on Wednesday [goody bags stocked up with biscuits, chocolate and fruit for the 2 day slog!] and decided to top up the euro notes since there will be lots of café breaks with some 12 ports of call. Exchange Rate has dropped again, and best available via the Pawnbrokers was €1.0555. A couple of places were offering €1.0480'ish. 'just a cappuccino and 2 straws, please ...'

Thanks Steve, fortunately we bought our Euro earlier this year and from memory we got 1.. 14 I may be wrong 

Edited by Les Medes

27 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I think one will have to become accustomed to longer delays at the ports on both sides of the Channel. If the 'no deal' option goes through it can only get worse as the UK will then be treated by the EU on a par with countries like the Congo or Bolivia or whatever.

I wonder if their union is getting a cash injection from holiday operators outside of the EU? Might encourage others to fly to countries outside of the EU.

48 minutes ago, Odd days said:

I wonder if their union is getting a cash injection from holiday operators outside of the EU? Might encourage others to fly to countries outside of the EU.

We are talking about delays to vehicular traffic across the Channel here, not reaching one's holiday destination abroad by flying. One can't really compare the two. Besides, waiting for possibly a couple of hours at a port while sitting in a car or motorhome is not as serious as possible delays to road transport.

They might still be getting a cash injection from a third party with other interest. Nobody tells the truth.

We went on a day trip to France , Dover/Calais  with p&o end June , we went  for 2 weeks with owe caravan & came back via the tunnel yesterday  , both times no delays straight on and out both times , while  away we spoke to lots of English who said the same no delays or problems  on boats ,trains  from any port into France. We spoke to a young Dutch couple who said holland had a vote about the EU and their government won't tell them who won & we spoke to a couple from Germany  who said we where thick for voting to leave , they also said sorry for both wars , so there you go 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Thanks Steve, fortunately we bought our Euro earlier this year and from memory we got 1.. 14 I may be wrong 

Les, Mrs Marchie told me I was being daft for drawing £500 in euros from the ATM the day before we left France, using the Nationwide Debit Card, at €1.112 ... That money went straight into our French Bank Account to top it up to pay for some work on our hovel in late August/early September, so for our cruise spending money, I had to just cry gently at the exchange rate.

And to think that on 16th April 2015, I transferred more funds to France for the building work, and received an exchange rate of €1.3816! And after that transaction, the exchange rate has just worsened and worsened. Still, it's only money and I didn't want to buy a unicorn anyway, because the Vet's Bills will be horrendous :D:rolleyes:

Steve [struggling to remember if Penury is an additional port of call on the cruise, because it doesn't show on the original itinerary, but that is apparently where we are heading ...]

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

. Exchange Rate has dropped again, and best available via the Pawnbrokers was €1.0555. A couple of places were offering €1.0480'ish. 'just a cappuccino and 2 straws, please ...'

I know that’s bad news for Brits but it’s actually great news for me, Mrs B loves shopping in the UK and she can buy much more unnecessary stuff for her Euro’s when we’re visiting the UK

Edited by Borussia 1900

21 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I know that’s bad news for Brits but it’s actually great news for me, Mrs B loves shopping in the UK and she can buy much more unnecessary stuff for her Euro’s when we’re visiting the UK

Hang on. Part of my pension comes from the UK.

Just now, Lutz said:

Hang on. Part of my pension comes from the UK.

My war Pension does but it goes into a UK account and I only spend it in the UK so is not affected by exchange rates.

Went through today, Folkestone to Calais. No delays and the French Douanes was too busy on his phone to bother us. 

I suspect as usual, coming back won’t be so easy.... 

It’s August...what do we expect?  

It will all calm down come 4 Sept ....until we hit 31Oct. :unsure:

I am booked Calais/ Folkestone  at 0650 on the 15th and back on the 19.50 same day. Will update on delays when I get home Friday morning.

We have a UK friend who married a Dutch girl and now lives in the Netherlands with his family. They are all here in the UK at the moment with their caravan. We met them two days ago and they reported no delays at the border.

Gordon.

I thought that UK's membership of EU automatically gave membership of Schengen. Perhaps after Brexit the UK will have to re-apply ? The electronic system is not due to come on sream until 2021.

3 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

I thought that UK's membership of EU automatically gave membership of Schengen. Perhaps after Brexit the UK will have to re-apply ? The electronic system is not due to come on sream until 2021.

The UK never signed the Schengen agreement and the agreement isn't an EU scheme anyway, a number of non EU countries are part of the Schengen Agreement.

The longest delays I faced at Calais, over 2 hours a few times have been because of the UK Border control there.

14 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think the process will be speeded up when we go electronic entry into Europe ?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Dave

Some days the technology works in a flash , but last Sunday at Roscoff it didn't. Man puts passport into scanner, stares at his screen for ages, repeats the process with our other passport ....slow,slow slow computer...and stares at screen for ages again .... so it took forever to unload one ship. 

13 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think the process will be speeded up when we go electronic entry into Europe ?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Dave

And if we have a No Deal Brexit? 6 month Winter breaks in Spain for the retired caravan owning community?

Plus potential 'Industrial Inaction' by French fishermen who are already talking about blockading Calais to stop British fish sales if the French are denied access to British Fishing grounds? Assuming that Calais isn't already blocked by lorries waiting to clear Customs with UK food imports ...

I think the ETIAS Scheme was planned at a time when a negotiated settlement was envisaged on both sides. The recent EU Officials & Diplomats social media retorts ['we gave an extension to allow transition, yet you refuse to negotiate but accuse EU of intransigence' tweet] and Mr Cummings ramping up the rhetoric is unlikely to generate a conciliatory approach, seeking ways to make positive arrangements.

The Good Old Days of driving to Dover and then sitting in a queue for 1 or 2 days until the ferry could take you. That's what the EU has taken away from us ... :rolleyes::D

Steve

• Like 1

Before we were members of the EU I used to nip over from Dover to Calais for a afternoon and only on  a 3 day permit ?

Dave

18 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Before we were members of the EU I used to nip over from Dover to Calais for a afternoon and only on  a 3 day permit ?

Dave

They were also the days before 9/11 and Big Brother