Over our past few trips away I’ve noticed that the standard Alko Jockey Wheel on my Tabbert  was becoming very stiff to wind in and out and the wheel didn’t want to turn when manoeuvring with my Mover. A little research on-line suggests that the standard one is not up to the job on such a heavy caravan (2 tonnes) when used with a Mover. At one point in France recently when manoeuvring over rocky ground I thought it might snap.

Rather than wait for it to fail I ordered a Premium Alko Jockey Wheel from Obelink, cost me 99€ and took 2 minutes to fit. I need to adjust the weight scale to read the actual Noseweight but so far I’m happy with it, anyone else got one?

2571E8CD-67DD-4673-BBCD-0A6AA1D37767.jpeg

I brought a new one in 2016 excellent piece of kit.

• Thanks 1

Maypole heavy duty, £33 delivered, excellent piece of kit.

Ian

Puncture proof pneumatic for me every time.

John 

Yep I like them also - good bit of kit but I don't think you can adjust the scale - Alko website shows you how to measure distance from axle to hitch and axle to wheel.

My caravan has the Alko mentioned by Borussia...hate it.

Geoff

2 hours ago, shipbroker said:

My caravan has the Alko mentioned by Borussia...hate it.

Geoff

The plastic Alko wheel is very poor.   This one looks like a good replacement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-200mm-Replacement-Steel-Wheel-for-Trailer-Jockey-Wheel-5213/202560487096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

John.

I want to replace mine with a pneumatic tyre, any recommends?

Posted (edited)

I recently bought this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meister-Puncture-Proof-Wheel-dollies-810810/dp/B00KFBS790/ref=pd_bap_rp_2/260-6025804-2243530?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KFBS790&pd_rd_r=fb9d6056-3bca-429d-83e8-8da18ee4c804&pd_rd_w=wQW8b&pd_rd_wg=d9N1J&pf_rd_p=c297d884-8305-43e5-a1e0-39d91acc4602&pf_rd_r=3QM1CX1REX7EDD94PJSY&psc=1&refRID=3QM1CX1REX7EDD94PJSY

Excellent.   Mine was a few pound cheaper for some reason.

If buying you need to be aware of the diameter, but that should not be the problem.  Also, Is the yoke wide enough? and what is the diameter of the axle? 

My yoke was a little too wide but easy fixed with large washers.

19FC1598-5AB5-4174-BCBB-4311208111AC.thumb.jpeg.af3dcd888465ed2e83353219911d45c5.jpeg

It’s not fitted yet, but my last one failed because the bearings were rubbish, this has needle bearings which look good.

John

Edited by JCloughie
Add

Thanks for the update, it certainly looks the business and I will check on the points you raised and invest in one.

I have the unit described by Borussia and its excellent - its a steel wheel, not plastic. Everything about it is beefed up.

I like the removable winder handle and Jockey wheel which add a little bit to security.

I don't like the long fingers at the base that engage with the JW yoke. Forget to wind the JW clear of these and turning with the mover can snap them right off.

44 minutes ago, chrisn7 said:

Forget to wind the JW clear of these and turning with the mover can snap them right off.

Good point chrisn7, I'll bear that in mind.

6 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

I have the unit described by Borussia and its excellent - its a steel wheel, not plastic. Everything about it is beefed up.

I like the removable winder handle and Jockey wheel which add a little bit to security.

I don't like the long fingers at the base that engage with the JW yoke. Forget to wind the JW clear of these and turning with the mover can snap them right off.

Those 'fingers' are to prevent the jockey wheel from turning around, unwinding and making a bid for freedom as you drive along, thus destroying itself.  Always make sure that the yoke is engaged with these fingers when it is retracted prior to travelling.

John.

Even with all 'fingers' on my AlKo well tucked up they still unwound...which is why,like many others, I run with bungee cords attached to the wheel and back around the handle...

geoff

I've just fitted the same Alko premium as Borussia and also recommend it. It feels a bit heavier than the standard one but is also a lot more robust.  An added bonus I've found is that I didn't have to loosen the jockey wheel clamp, I left the external tube clamped in the 'transit' position for the whole trip because the  internal tube is long enough to lift the hitch off the towball and rigid enough (when extended) to be able to motor mover into position without having to drop the whole assembly first. 

Maybe does't sound like a big deal but it made hitching/unhitching a bit easier and did away with the hassel of making sure the jockey wheel is properly centred and clamped every time I moved.

Winding handle is strong, it can be tightened very firmly so there's no danger it will unwind, I also like that it can be easily  unclipped, when not in use it lives in the front locker.

4 minutes ago, Steve05 said:

I've just fitted the same Alko premium as Borussia and also recommend it. It feels a bit heavier than the standard one but is also a lot more robust.  An added bonus I've found is that I didn't have to loosen the jockey wheel clamp, I left the external tube clamped in the 'transit' position for the whole trip because the  internal tube is long enough to lift the hitch off the towball and rigid enough (when extended) to be able to motor mover into position without having to drop the whole assembly first. 

Maybe does't sound like a big deal but it made hitching/unhitching a bit easier and did away with the hassel of making sure the jockey wheel is properly centred and clamped every time I moved.

Winding handle is strong, it can be tightened very firmly so there's no danger it will unwind, I also like that it can be easily  unclipped, when not in use it lives in the front locker.

So you have the tube set at max height all the time - I would never have thought of that!  The other advantage you don't mention is that the outer of the tube will have much reduced wear - stop it getting scruffy.

Yes BO, I did own one but I have decided not to buy one for our latest van. For years we have had no failures from the usual fitted jockey wheel so I think it is not a really necessary expensive item to have. It is also heavier and once it dropped whilst travelling but I can understand why the 'heavies' might need one.

So, okay, the removable handle is added security, but so is removing the whole jockey wheel - more so in fact.

The only good thing is that it looks a good item of bling on a single axle.:D

9 minutes ago, SamD said:

So you have the tube set at max height all the time - I would never have thought of that!  The other advantage you don't mention is that the outer of the tube will have much reduced wear - stop it getting scruffy.

Yes,  I just leave it in the stored position. The 4 sites I visited were pretty flat and this method worked well there, might have to drop it if pitched on a steepish hill mind you?

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

Yes BO, I did own one but I have decided not to buy one for our latest van. For years we have had no failures from the usual fitted jockey wheel so I think it is not a really necessary expensive item to have. It is also heavier and once it dropped whilst travelling but I can understand why the 'heavies' might need one.

So, okay, the removable handle is added security, but so is removing the whole jockey wheel - more so in fact.

The only good thing is that it looks a good item of bling on a single axle.:D

The standard one was ‘bending’ over rough terrain whilst the mover was doing its stuff, probably okay on a lighter caravan but mines 2 tonnes.