Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone,

We're a returning to caravaning  couple after a period of almost 30 years.

Had a small 4 berth when our daughter was young in the 80's/early 90's but left the scene when she decided she was too grown-up.

Now the grandchildren have came along (6 & 4 y/o). Did a trial run in a work mates caravan last month for a w/e and they loved it(asking since when the next trip is coming up).

After looking around took the plunge this week and purchased a 2007 Avondale Dart 510-5 which seemed to tick all our boxes,within our towing limit,fairly well equipped,and we like the double dinette were the kids can have their own space/bedroom.

Currently putting the finishing personalised touches to the Dart and hope to fit a couple of weekends in this year(head off for 10 days on a pre-booked holiday on 16/08).

Daughter & son-in-law,who are complete novices,will also make use of the caravan.

Forgive me in advance if I come on the forum asking for advice on what appears silly topics:rolleyes:.

:welcome:Keith Moore,  you seem to have everything organised , so good luck to you , this is a good forum, to ask questions, of any kind, 

happy days 

Welcome - hopefully some of us can answer any queries and questions that you've got.

We've been taking our grandkids away for the past 15 years - the older ones outgrew it at around age 16 but the younger ones (12 & 9) are still having great fun.

We've just come back from a fortnight down near Fareham with the younger ones and they had a super time. .

We managed a whole fortnight without a TV or mobile phones although the 12 year old was a bit miffed when we made her leave her phone at home. She didn't actually miss it although it was obvious that some kids their spent most of their time texting which I though was a bit sad as they missed out on what was going on around them.

They get a freedom that they don't get at home and make new friends (and we can give them back to their parents when we've had enough;))

and another   :welcome:from me Keith, lots of experience on this forum, so ask away and someone will be along in a jiffy to help

:welcome:and there is no such thing as silly questions.

All of us started once so let's hope we can be of assistance to you. Avondale manuals (if available) can be fòund pinned at the head of the Avondale section. Best of luck!

10 hours ago, Keith Moore said:

Forgive me in advance if I come on the forum asking for advice on what appears silly topics:rolleyes:.

It has been said before that there are few silly questions but many silly answers . . .

Even if you're the first to ask a question, I'll wager you'll not be the first to want the answer, so fire away and we'll do our best to clarify any points for you, or any other member.

Welcome to Caravan Talk.

Gordon.

:welcome: to Caravan Talk

Click HERE for some handy information. I hope it helps.

On 11/08/2019 at 11:22, matelodave said:

Welcome - hopefully some of us can answer any queries and questions that you've got.

We've been taking our grandkids away for the past 15 years - the older ones outgrew it at around age 16 but the younger ones (12 & 9) are still having great fun.

We've just come back from a fortnight down near Fareham with the younger ones and they had a super time. .

We managed a whole fortnight without a TV or mobile phones although the 12 year old was a bit miffed when we made her leave her phone at home. She didn't actually miss it although it was obvious that some kids their spent most of their time texting which I though was a bit sad as they missed out on what was going on around them.

They get a freedom that they don't get at home and make new friends (and we can give them back to their parents when we've had enough;))

Not sure Granny & Granda could do without TV/lnternet for a fortnight LOL

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Just back this afternoon from the first trip away(to Nortern Ireland's north coast,probably biased but it could hold it's own with anywhere in these islands.)

Everything went surprisingly well,couple of minor things we'll do different next time around,but nothing major.

Despite atrocious weather Friday afternoon into Saturday morning the grandkids had a ball(as did granny & granda).

The Dart did the job to a tee,the seperate dinette/bedroom is a godsend,meant when the kids were in bed we could open a bottle of wine and have some

down time(at our age we needed it after running around with a 4 & 6 year old).

A nice touch,when we pulled onto our pitch in a rainstorm the caravanners on each side came out to see if we needed a hand setting up,which truth be told we did,will remember this for future trips.

Next 2 trips already booked before the season finishes,to the Glens of Antrim and the Fermanagh Lakes.

Could catch on,this caravan lark.