Habitation Door Width?

A typical habitation door width seems to be about 18 inches - certainly no more than 19.

Does anybody know of a wider door on any brand?

Adria 600 mm wide doors .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

My Tabbert is 580mm which I believe is just shy of 23cm

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My Tabbert is 580mm which I believe is just shy of 23cm

I think you mean inches ? 23

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

11 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think you mean inches ? 23

Yes but I’ve had a few sherbets 🍷

Thanks Dave 😀

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Thanks for the replies.

Hindsight being a wonderful thing I wish I'd asked you before taking the plunge with the Coachman last year.

(Those extra few inches would be very welcome especially after a few sherberts.)

Our Airstream has a good size door as all the furniture is fitted after the shell is built!Airstream2.thumb.jpg.736a7715fe50cb45b65200dbbd67f174.jpg

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

You can have wider doors fitted but it isn't cheap.

Our two previous caravans were fitted with wider doors allowing me to push my partners wheelchair into the vans via a ramp.

Both were done by CoachbuiltGB in Nuneaton at around £2000, though this may have risen.

Our current Swift Basecamp rear door is wide enough as standard.

All food for thought thanks.

It seems we may need to rethink our priorities and (for now) make the best of things.  £2000 or upwards for alterations would be a major consideration especially so soon after we've bought new.  Logical thought prompts me to find the best time and terms for an appropriate trade-in.   

Hi CJ

That £2000 was best case scenario if there is enough room to fit a door as standard.

If the space around the door frame on the inside isn't large enough then it involves moving internal fixtures which increases cost considerably.

It has taken us about 6 years and 3 caravans to finally find a caravan that suits us (as standard) as we both have disabilities. I think that your OP shows that most people think that doors are all of a standard size, which they are not.

We wish you luck in finding your ideal caravan.

Minion,  thanks for the kind thoughts.

Also the very valid point regarding available internal space and the extra costs.

I am pleased you found something that suits.

On 10/08/2019 at 13:58, CJ1149 said:

seems to be about 18 inches - certainly no more than 19.

That was based on our findings when we've looked at caravans between 3 years old and new during the last 2 years or so, having only had 4 caravans in the previous 37 years.  Admittedly we were influenced by particular layouts and models from the Swift group, Coachman and Bailey and we didn't anticipate needing a door width of at least 26 inches within a short space of time.

Never mind, we are much better off than many folk and life goes on.  We may yet find a solution.

• 1 year later...

We have an Avondale Frystar Axcess 55 with a 72cm door (28 inches). My wife uses a wheelchair.

The story I heard was that a caravan dealer (Fry) who had a wheelchair-dependent daughter teamed up with Avondale and later Adria to have special versions of mainstream caravans built for accessibility. It's not just the entrance door, internal doors and partition walls were removed. The 4/5 berth Avondale Argente became a 2/3 berth Axcess 55.

Our van is now twelve years old. We'll do everything we can to keep it serviceable because we don't see any modern equivalent. Coachbuilt will make a new accessible caravan to order but at a premium price. Hopefully, by the time we need a replacement we will have saved up enough money!

Hi Eric

Would if be possible to put up some photos as we do get asked from time to time about vans that are accessible. 

Seeing one may well help present and future members with disability problems. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

That's a good idea.  At least being forwarned should be helpful.

There is one potential drawback to wider doors however.   If storage conditions put caravans close together wide doors are almost impossible to open fully unless the caravan is pulled out first.  Mobilty provisions with sliding doors could be a useful consideration .