Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Anyone else think they need to anchor their caravan down!

We are currently on a site just outside Bala in North Wales.

The wind is that strong it’s rocking the van a fair bit even though the steadies are wound down pretty firmly!! !!

I don’t THINK I actually need to lash it down but it sure is blowing. Anyone else in a similar situation? 

Oh, and it’s also phishing it down! 

Andy

Posted (edited)

Normally is situation like this I will make sure the steadies is firmly down by winding it down as much as possible and if on a slope I will  choke the wheel. I take it you have not got any awning up.

Edited by oldboy

A note of warning to softee southerners, it often rains in North Wales sometimes with storm force winds. It can be even worse in Spring, Autumn and Winter.

DeeTee - only just 35 miles outside Bala.:lol: :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Normally is situation like this I will make sure the steadies is firmly down by winding it down as much as possible and if on a slope I will  choke the wheel. I take it you have not got any awning up.

I don’t really want to “choke” my wheels, I will need them alive in a few days ;)

The awning came down first thing yesterday morning BEFORE the foul weather arrived. Others were not so cautious and are now providing us with much amusement (naughty but entertaining!) 

Andy

Andy, do you have any ground anchors?  I can only think to park the car almost touching the van and passing ropes around both.  Or around both sets of 'axles' or coil springs.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kelper said:

Andy, do you have any ground anchors?  I can only think to park the car almost touching the van and passing ropes around both.  Or around both sets of 'axles' or coil springs.

Whoa !!

Its not THAT bad (yet) 

Andy

The off-road 4x4 enthusiasts carry one of these!

image.png.5a8d680ae352686c3eeb707c9a95b203.png

I've never thought of anchoring down - we've caravanned in several gales, from force 7 to nudging force 10 on one occasion - although I do use the car to protect the caravan in the worst conditions

• Like 1

Many years ago I stayed on the Calais campsite next to the port.  This is built on a mound leaving caravans exposed to the wind.  During the night a gale got up  so I turned my caravan head to wind and re-coupled to the car.  An hour later the caravan beside me was overturned by the wind despite being tied down to steel posts ( a seasonal pitch).  By morning another three had been moved by the wind from their locations to rest against something solid like the toilet block or another caravan.

The new site in Calais is on open ground with no shade or wind protection but less exposed than the original site.

We've just arrived home having towed across the new Seven Bridge (now called Prince of Wales). The old bridge was closed to high sided vehicles. The deflector rails on the new bridge work really well.

Posted (edited)

About 40 years ago I was sited in a gale force 8 in a Sprite Alpine and the caravan was being picked up a moved a few inches each gust so I had to put the car a Granada est up wind and tie the front and back down with some rope to the car.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ern said:

We've just arrived home having towed across the new Seven Bridge (now called Prince of Wales). The old bridge was closed to high sided vehicles. The deflector rails on the new bridge work really well.

Is that anywhere near the Severn bridge?? :rolleyes: :P

I did start this thread a bit tongue in cheek. Ground anchors and lashing to the car are not really necessary guys! But the wind strength is increasing. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

We had 110km/h gusts in Holland a few months ago, the caravan did not budge (it is 2 tonne though) but it did cause slight damage to my awning, luckily my mate is an upholsterer and he sorted it for me. A few awnings and tents did go flying.

39 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I did start this thread a bit tongue in cheek. Ground anchors and lashing to the car are not really necessary guys! But the wind strength is increasing. 

Andy

We've just returned a day earlier than planned from Anglesey, just next to the airport, because of the wind forecast.  Luckily we had most of our planned couple of weeks and all with great weather.  I'm a fair weather sailor!!

the worse weather we ever encountered was a hurricane back in 2011 . The 'van was really shaking and was sitting in about 6 inches of water and the ground seemed to be getting softer. OH said it would be fine and although we probably shouldn't have  moved the 'van, we decided to travel home. We were worried about the Severn P of W, bridge but that turned out okay as everyone on the road was travelling very slowly.  We were due to be away this week but had to cancel a few weeks ago , I'm so glad  now, it's no fun walking the dogs in this weather (they've only had one walk today )

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Well in an exposed situation and an area  prone to gales, say Outer Hebrides it would certainly be prudent to anchor the axle.

Personally I would hope to get a sheltered pitch, but even then it's probably worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Yes its very close to the Severn Bridge. Shame on me for the spelling error. :blush:

We were at the cc site Gowerton last year. Pretty exposed site and high winds forecast. A couple of vanners that left awnings uphad them destroyed. We did not want to rock 'n roll all night and so put handbrake on the caravan when we went off site in the morning and booked into a hotel for the evening

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I don’t really want to “choke” my wheels, I will need them alive in a few days ;)

The awning came down first thing yesterday morning BEFORE the foul weather arrived. Others were not so cautious and are now providing us with much amusement (naughty but entertaining!) 

Andy

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Are you the grammar plod as well.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

something for manufacturers to consider fitting, lashing points. Never tied down but used car to offer some although little protection.  I would not want an awning fitted in this wind, storm guys or not

macafee2

I never gave a moment's thought to the wind strength when we took our then recently acquired folding caravan to Spain for December and January. But when the wind was fierce enough to move the top half of the side walls whilst I was leaning against them on the settee, and I could also slide my fingers down between the top of the walls and the roof seals, I was slightly concerned ...

Emergency purchase of a roof strap, change of pitch, parked car across the caravan to provide some protection and hoped! First action on return to Scotland was to order a complete set of new wall catches; best £80 I've spent! I also ordered the Isabella Awning tie down security straps that fit inside the awning on the rh & lh main pole bracing points. At only 1050kg MTPLM, Gobby the Gobur is not made for such robust conditions!

Steve

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rovinmad said:

Well in an exposed situation and an area  prone to gales, say Outer Hebrides it would certainly be prudent to anchor the axle.

Personally I would hope to get a sheltered pitch, but even then it's probably worthwhile.

We've caravanned in the Outer Hebrides - most of the few sites are on peat or sandy soil so no chance of ordinary anchors holding.

Edited by Black Grouse

Also been in North Wales and had the wind rock the caravan.  It didn’t tip over and wind speed gusts were reported at 100mph in the papers the following day.  Not saying that it is NOT possible to tip a van in strong winds though.  :o

Is it easing off at all Plodd?

nanamel

Nautical Almata in Bay of Roses we tied 'van and awning to the pitch trees and the car...pulled a wing mirror off.

Geoff

11 hours ago, Nanamel said:

Also been in North Wales and had the wind rock the caravan.  It didn’t tip over and wind speed gusts were reported at 100mph in the papers the following day.  Not saying that it is NOT possible to tip a van in strong winds though.  :o

Is it easing off at all Plodd?

nanamel

We had a member on here that had her caravan blown over in the front garden a few years ago in strong winds .

Dave