Removing front chest of drawers?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.pngOur supporter Prima Leisure has Caravan Parts/Accessories for Bailey and all other makes of caravan and motorhome. Take a look at their massive range of products.

Well worth a visit!

Does anyone know if it's generally possible to remove the front chest of drawers in Swift caravan models from 2010 onwards? 

If so, it would widen the choice of caravans open to us as I'm wanting to change my caravan and would like a 'U' shaped lounge.

If the drawers on Swifts can be removed then I'd get a seat cushion made to replace it, creating a U shape.

Thanks

Example photo..

swift-challenger-evolution022.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yes they easily remove, just look at the lower sides for small straps.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Thanks Geoff

From your experience would you say that most caravan manufacturers allow this, or do you know of any that definitely don't?

Edited by Guest

Some caravans are built without the chest. Our last caravan was one of those and bought because it had no chest.

It was  a Bailey Pageant Burgundy and it was the Burgundy that signified chestless. The last Pageant range was Series 7 made in 2009. Lovely vans.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We have always opted for the extra purchased wrap round seating, where the chest lives in the loft for the duration of ownership of the caravan.

If this area is used as a bed, it makes a huge size bed. We usually have 2 birth caravans so this arrangement works for us. We have done this with Bailey, Lunar, Elddis, Eccles, Sprite and Elegance. It works for us?

One of the Lunars had an 'L' shaped lounge, so it did not have the traditional chest of draws!

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

My current caravan has an L-shaped lounge and I find it great for the wife and myself laying with our feet up watching TV. I'd like either another L-shape or a U shape, but there don't seem to be many L-shapes around. Removing the chest of drawers will solve that problem.

My last caravan (Bailey Olympus) had a U shaped lounge and no chest, the current one (Bailey Phoenix) has the chest.

Of the two I reckon the (current) one with the chest is marginally “better” (for us two that is) 

My reasoning being that with the chest comes a pull out shelf and that serves brilliantly as a small table to eat at,  it then slides back out of the way.  Without the chest it’s necessary to get the large table out each time. Some tables are stored in, shall we say, “less than ideal” locations like under the bed (both the previous and current Bailey)  which means getting it out (and back in) is a right pain.  Plus it does take up a lot of room when up and has to be carefully manoeuvred around in order to get seated.

In addition the chest does provide a couple of useful drawers to store “stuff” in! 

As we have a fixed rear island bed the intrusion into the space available when the lounge bed needs making up isn’t an issue (because the lounge bed never gets used)  

The Phoenix doesn’t have a front locker so if seating was in place across the front anyone sitting there would have to deal with the slope of the front of the caravan impinging on their headroom (because the seating would be right up against the front wall/windows)  That’s probably why it’s not offered with a U shaped lounge option. 

The above might seem pretty minor, but having experienced both, I would advise anyone thinking of changing, one way or the other, very carefully considers the possible implications prior to finalising their choice.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The chest on our 2016 comes out but needs to be unscrewed.

We like it for the storage (6 berth vans with the front sunroof mean drawers are at a premium) and the table. The main table hardly ever comes out of it's store. 

If you get a layout where the TV can go rear of the lounge (e.g on a wall or in a central kitchen) or one where both sofas have an end to lean on then you can both put your feet up when watching the goggle box. That's what we do.

11 hours ago, David P said:

We have always opted for the extra purchased wrap round seating, where the chest lives in the loft for the duration of ownership of the caravan.

With our present caravan we did the exact opposite.  It came with wrap around seating as standard but my wife insisted on the optional chest.  So the cushions live in the loft unless we want the big bed.

You can easily remove the chest. I had to do it to replace the plastic bed rail on our 2011 Conqueror 530. Take all the cushions and seats out and you will see the 4 screws that hold the chest in place. Undo the screws - and that's it! Lift off the chest and you are done.

The attached photo (which was used in my thread about replacing the plastic bed rail) shows the slats without the chest in place.

PS. You will be amazed whet you will find has fallen down behind the chest and hidden itself underneath! :o

BH

Rail 1.jpg

Edited by Blackhart

• 6 months later...

Having purchased a brand ne caravan last September, I ordered the wrap around seat to replace the chest of drawers. Just four screws holding the drawer unit in place.

Give us a much more comfortable lounge area to put our feet up etc.

WS2jpeg.jpeg

Also gives us a huge double bed...

WS5.jpeg

...or a wide single which leaves lounge seating available to use for others, without disturbing sleeping beauty..

WS6.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Yet another Marmite issue ! 

Last caravan had wrap around seat, current one doesn’t

Not sure which I prefer as there are pro’s and con’s for both. Having said that the slide out shelf is handy as it means I don’t have to wrestle the free standing table out from under the bed all the time.

Like I said, Marmite.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It is Marmite indeed, and I hate Marmite :unsure:.

The drawers are very useful, but they got in my way when sat in the corner looking back towards where the TV lives. The drawers cut into my shoulder and were uncomfortable.

Anyone know what the two lengths of wood are for that come with the base board? I thought at first they were to left it up from the lats, but I don't see how they can be.

WS4.jpeg

Edited by Guest

We are lucky to have both in our Buc-bought the optional wrap round seating-in the summer we will eat in the awning using the table in the van-and hence have the wrap round seating in place-which stores easily under the bed. In the winter we will retain the front drawers/pull out table as we definitely don't want to eat outside! We will either store the box in the awing , the back of the truck or we could of course take it out and leave it at home. 

• 3 weeks later...

On a Lunar the top section has slats projecting from either side under the seat cushions. You can lift the cushions and the unit will then lift off. They did sell a matching cushion to fit across at one time if you wanted a seat there.

There is a place in Skegness that will produce a new cushion, I had them do my Older 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel. Send then a photo and they will confirm if they have the same material.

Windale Furnishings Ltd

Unit 2 Hassall Rd,

Skegness PE25 3TB

Hours: 

Closes soon: 4PM ⋅ Opens 8AM Fri

Phone: 01754 610437

20 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Anyone know what the two batons are for please?

I think they are what the drawers 'lockinto'

Mazda CX5 2.2d auto 184bhp Ace Supreme Twinstar TA

mazda cx5 icon.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Leadfarmer

your picks look like a sprite van if thats right are you interested in selling your draw set

you can call me on xxxxxxxxx

ADMIN COMMENT

Phone number removed - Please use Personal Messenger to communicate.

On 05/04/2020 at 18:19, steve-tmts said:

Hi Leadfarmer

your picks look like a sprite van if thats right are you interested in selling your draw set

ADMIN COMMENT

Phone number removed - Please use Personal Messenger to communicate.

Leadfarmers van details are in his signature....

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

39 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

Leadfarmers van details are in his signature....

Steve-gmts, Leadfarmer doesn’t appear to have a signature, his details are in his profile (click on his avatar).

John

On 05/04/2020 at 18:19, steve-tmts said:

Hi Leadfarmer

Sorry, but Im keeping the drawers.

36 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Steve-gmts, Leadfarmer doesn’t appear to have a signature, his details are in his profile (click on his avatar).

John

Surely I do have a signature, I can certainly see it.

On 18/03/2020 at 18:44, LeadFarmer said:

Anyone know what the two batons are for please?

On 19/03/2020 at 15:19, Organman said:

I think they are what the drawers 'lockinto'

The two batons came with the wrap around seating, so they can't be for the drawers?

• 4 months later...

Back on the road post lockdown. However both drawers on our 2011 Swift sterling eccles solitaire are now defective, but i cant seem to remove them for repair any ideas greatly recieved. The pull and lift solution doesnt seem to work as a rail on both are coming away from the sides due to glue and staples failing. looks like a very cheap build. Any solution that will stop me taking brute force to it please.

TIA

22 hours ago, FinnMcool said:

Thanks will give it a try tomorrow. but whats the remedy??