Sign in to follow this  
Danny123

Stabaliser bracket

Hi I have just bought a new car with a detachable tow ball I am wondering what stabaliser bracket I would need please. 

40057693.jpg

It really depends on the vintage of your van. Most modern vans have the stabiliser built into the hitch. 

8 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

It really depends on the vintage of your van. Most modern vans have the stabiliser built into the hitch. 

And if it is - usually an Al-Ko - the black paint needs to be rubbed off the ball head with emery paper and then the whole head cleaned carefully with brake cleaner before use and thereafter cleaned every time it is fitted to the vehicle. The stabiliser relies upon friction to work so any sort of grease is the enemy!

Posted (edited)

Hi the caravan is just a standard hitch not alko.

Edited by Danny123

go get an alko hitch. 2 bolts to change it over, a lot less hustle than the old system!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, David P said:

go get an alko hitch. 2 bolts to change it over, a lot less hustle than the old system!

Good advice David, my same thoughts 

Posted (edited)

'Back in the day' when I used a sprung arm stabiliser I remember that cars with swan neck stabilisers used one of these. 

https://www.towsure.com/bulldog-lc8-swan-neck-car-bracket?gclid=CjwKCAjw7anqBRALEiwAgvGgm0wC7lWUqX5Z_5S3a5jEpmIPsFf2MfBiNo12S9wyOoxbDmZAZtztVhoCZ6MQAvD_BwE

Like the idea of replacing the hitch personally

Edited by Easy T

Ok so if I change the hitch I would have to change the tow ball would a alko detachable ball fit on to existing bracket.

6 minutes ago, Danny123 said:

Ok so if I change the hitch I would have to change the tow ball would a alko detachable ball fit on to existing bracket.

Or is the tow ball already on compatible with the alko hitch.

See that you have a 1994 Abbey so would agree that setting up  a blade stabilizer with the modern towbar you have would cost you money....but it will also cost you to have a Al-Ko or Winterhoff hitch fitted to your old 'van.........but if I was in your situation that is option I would take.

geofff 

If I change to an alko stabalizer would I just have to take the old hitch off and the alko fits with no work needed.

The swanneck towbar you have is perfectly fine for use with an Al-KO hitch .

To change to a stabiliser hitch there are two bolts which need to be removed , old hitch taken off, new one on and new bolts to secure it.

If you buy from a reputable seller then there should be a short round bar which fits in place of the side bolt which holds the damper, knock the old bolt out with the short bar , then knock the short bar out with the new bolt.

Posted (edited)

Danny123

If you do go for a Hitch stabalizer. To get the paint off the swan neck, use a Dremel type rotary tool. That's what I use on all of the new hitches I have had over the years, its a lot quicker, than emery paper!

Let us know your outcome.

Edited by David P

Will do David p cheers for the tip.

This is what you should aim for the tow ball to look like. Any paint remaining on the ball itself can contaminate the friction pads within the stabilising hitch that clamp against the ball and so reduce their efficiency.

Towball Paint.jpg

David p I used a dremel tool but the ball has scratches on would this affect the use of either ball or hitch. I will try and get a pic.

Pics of towball.

20190812_180256.jpg

20190812_180236.jpg

Why didn't you use just emery paper? The ball looks scored to me.

• +1 1

2 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Why didn't you use just emery paper? The ball looks scored to me.

I used wet and dry wet... Much better result

So could I still use Emery paper or wet and dry for a better finish.

Too late to say don't use a Dremel! :blush:    So I'd not worry about it over much.  The friction pads will polish the ball where they touch as the van is dragged behind.

Personally I used some paint stripper to remove the paint on the new ball I had.  My current one was a rusty mess under some cling film so I used a bit of wet and dry to clean off a lot (but still left a few pits).  You don't want to wear away too much ball material with abrasives - they have a wear limit!

Just remember to clean the ball and friction pads every trip using brake cleaner or another suitable solvent of your choice on a rag.  (My choice is IPA - the isopropylalcohol kind).

Posted (edited)

You can use Emery paper either wet or dry, the choice is yours.

You are not looking to get a perfectly smooth finish, just taking the paint off the ball.

A slightly rough finish will help with the friction between the towball and hitch pads.

Just make sure whatever you use, give a good clean with brake cleaner (NOT brake fluid) and spray every time before hitching up.

Also give the hitch pads a squirt as well.

Diesel cars are well known for pushing out sooty and oily deposits which accumulate inside the hitch and on the ball.

I have just looked at the pics you posted and the result of taking someone elses "advice" to use a Dremel...….shocking!!!!!!

Back in my post I said a "slightly rough" finish,,,,,not a dogs dinner of a finish.

Edited by Brecon

So I was told to use a dremel then get slated for it some people.

It looks like someone wrecked the ball using a grinding wheel in the Dremel instead of a flap wheel!

Blame the user and the wheel, not the tool.

So would I need to buy a new tow ball is the next question.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Danny123 said:

So would I need to buy a new tow ball is the next question.

No. The ball will be ok. The use of a Dremel without a great deal of care is not a good idea but "the milk is spilled" so don't fret. Use a bit of wet and dry to polish the ball a bit smoother if possible, but finish off with brake cleaner to remove the contamination. When you fit the stabilizer to the caravan the fasteners should be torqued and the tightening torque should be with the instructions. 

PS. Enjoy the new car. What is it?

Edited by Ern

What did you use with the Dremel, I hope NOT a grindstone, which looks like you used, but a fine emery tube in the rubber arbour, that's all that was needed?

To late now, use some very fine emery paper to try and get some of the heavy grindstone marks out.