Damp on 2017 Crusader Mistral

Took my 2 year old Mistral for 2nd service and was informed of damp at the front windows, i was gutted, the dealer told me he would have to take all the front windows and window  seals out and replace some wood and front and  wall panels inside the van. I collected the van last week and the dealer said it was worse the they thought but all the work had been carried out and it should be fine. I feel this should not have happened in a 2 year old van costing £24000 but unfortunatley they are   all built by manual labour and one has to cross fingers when buying a new caravan. When is the caravan induustry going to get there act together and build quality  vans , i buy a new  car and do not give it a second thought on it  going  wrong. I have to thank my dealer for the quick turn around and excellent service i recieve from them.

One of the main reasons is because they are hand built. A robot can do exactly the same job in exactly the same way each and every time. A human cannot.

The main thing is that it got sorted at no cost to you.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Just make sure that they do a thorough job.

We had damp at 3 years on an Elddis and it occurred in the same place again at 6 years.

The first time was done under warranty  the second time it was not and cost us £2,200 :angry: but for a proper job. 

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

16 hours ago, Griff said:

The first time was done under warranty  the second time it was not and cost us £2,200 :angry: but for a proper job. 

I am of the opinion some dealers will do a warranty job as quickly and as cheaply i.e. patchwork as they can as the payment for warranty work is a lot lower than their normal labour costs.

Many years ago I had an issue with a Nissan vehicle where on occasions you could not change into 2nd gear from a higher gear.  The warranty expired and when it went in next they were able to find the fault, but it would cost over a thousand to repair.  We argued and they refused so paid and took it to court however the day before court we got a full refund plus other costs.  In those days no such thing as SOGA!

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I am of the opinion some dealers will do a warranty job as quickly and as cheaply i.e. patchwork as they can as the payment for warranty.....

Second time around was by a 2 man independent. They argued that modern methods were not up to it long term, just production line speed and convenience.

Their method was to apply the flexible sealant (awning rails) in copious amounts, looked disgusting from the progress photos and took far longer to remove the excess than to apply it.

They were getting back vans in for service that they had sealed 10 years back with no signs of water ingress so proves it can be done.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.