Jump to content

Scotchlok world record? Skoda Superb.


logiclee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry for those who don't do facebook but Rainworth motors recently had a Skoda Superb in with numerous electrical faults.

 

They found the aftermarket towbar had been fitted with a bypass relay and many, many scotchloks. I was in today and spoke with my usual contact there. They removed 18 in total.

 

Modern cars especially full canbus platforms like the Superb's MQB with LED lighting  don't go well with bypass kits, especially those installed badly.

 

The Facebook Video.

 

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I bought my Jeep at 6 months old, the dealer was going to fit a towbar as part of the deal. I had a chat with the fitter about what I required, he was proposing to use a generic wiring kit with Scotchloks, in his opinion, he

 

‘never had any problems with them’.

 

I chose not to take up the free towbar and paid a trusted local fitter to supply and fit a Witter with a dedicated wiring kit after I collected it. Your post just reinforces why I made the right call. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

When I bought my Jeep at 6 months old, the dealer was going to fit a towbar as part of the deal. I had a chat with the fitter about what I required, he was proposing to use a generic wiring kit with Scotchloks, in his opinion, he

 

‘never had any problems with them’.

 

I chose not to take up the free towbar and paid a trusted local fitter to supply and fit a Witter with a dedicated wiring kit after I collected it. Your post just reinforces why I made the right call. 

We used a local fitter for our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit and according to Unity Jeep in Kidlington a universal one is just as good as a dedicated one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We used a local fitter for our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit and according to Unity Jeep in Kidlington a universal one is just as good as a dedicated one.

It isn't and never can be. Dedicated electrics integrate fully into the cars systems, in some cases switches off rear parking sensors, rear fog lights, makes changes to autobox shift points and stability programs etc, universal ones don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It isn't and never can be. Dedicated electrics integrate fully into the cars systems, in some cases switches off rear parking sensors, rear fog lights, makes changes to autobox shift points and stability programs etc, universal ones don't.

I am just quoting what I was told by the Jeep dealership regarding CRD Jeeps.  Other vehicles may be different.  The Jeep has an internal switch for shutting down the reverse sensors when reversing.  I doubt if changes need to be made to the gearbox points or stability programs.  Maybe on the bigger Jeeps with the big V8 petrol engines and where they can exceed 60mpg when towing i.e. USA?  I take your point though about other vehicles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It isn't and never can be. Dedicated electrics integrate fully into the cars systems, in some cases switches off rear parking sensors, rear fog lights, makes changes to autobox shift points and stability programs etc, universal ones don't.

 

i think depends on the vehicle. If the car has all these systems then its worth paying the extra money, if its an older vehicle or if putting a trailer on makes no difference to the systems then probably not worth the added expense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tom_1989 said:

 

i think depends on the vehicle. If the car has all these systems then its worth paying the extra money, if its an older vehicle or if putting a trailer on makes no difference to the systems then probably not worth the added expense. 

It always makes a difference to the systems if there's anything CANBUS, i.e. most cars from mid - late noughties on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dedicated plug-in 13 pin wiring harness on my V90 didn't do any functions over & above what a universal system offers, BUT by the very nature of its design (a lack of Scotch locks) it should hopefully be reliable. In my previoys role i did quite a bit of research and development with Scotch lock style connectors and their performance and reliability is very random.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Durbanite said:

  Maybe on the bigger Jeeps with the big V8 petrol engines and where they can exceed 60mpg when towing i.e. USA?  I take your point though about other vehicles.

60mpg when towing! I want one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Stevan said:

60mpg when towing! I want one!

My mistake as it was meant to be 60mph.  I still prefer to deal in litres per 100km and km/h.  Much easier.  Not sure why they still use mpg, mph, lbs etc in the UK?  Decimal is so much easier.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It isn't and never can be. Dedicated electrics integrate fully into the cars systems, in some cases switches off rear parking sensors, rear fog lights, makes changes to autobox shift points and stability programs etc, universal ones don't.

 

It also can change the engine running temperature while under the extra load .

 

 

 

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Not sure why they still use mpg, mph, lbs etc in the UK?

 

We don't use pounds generally in the UK (for weight) but lots of people still use stones and pounds for body weight, not much else.  I'm the only one among my siblings who uses kilograms.  MPG is better than that awful hashup of litres per 100 km.  Why can't you use km per litre?

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kelper said:

 

We don't use pounds generally in the UK (for weight) but lots of people still use stones and pounds for body weight, not much else.  I'm the only one among my siblings who uses kilograms.  MPG is better than that awful hashup of litres per 100 km.  Why can't you use km per litre?

I do use litres per kilometre instead of the outdated mpg.  The only thing that is in Imperial on my car on the instrument cluster is my speedo.  Even my odometer reads in km.  I can change it all to Imperial if I want, but never had the necessity.  Switching to Imperial means the reading for the temperature is in Fahrenheit and I never got around Fahrenheit as we never used it even as far back as the fifties. 

Where I lived we went completely decimal in about 1961/2.  Arriving here in 1993 was like taking a step backwards as far as weights and measures was concerned.  Everything else was far more modern.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The UK is very much a dual system.

 

I'll get orders from people which make me smile.

 

"I need a 16mm bolt that's 4 inch long"

 

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many years ago (late 1960s) I was a technical apprentice with the Central Electricity Generating Board. An edict came from on high that we were to move over to metric measurements. A few days later I went to the stores to get some 1/2" Whitworth bolts. The storeman said: "Oh, they're 12.7mm Whitworth now". It only struck me how ridiculous it was later.....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The UK is very much a dual system.

 

I'll get orders from people which make me smile.

 

"I need a 16mm bolt that's 4 inch long"

 

Lee

My daughter in law's carpenter makes measurements such as 2 inches 1cm [having got used to a French tape measure, I wouldn't be without it for those jobs where the Imperial measure makes failing eyesight difficult to take a really accurate measurement across the 2 scales, i.e. when it's 'on the wrong side' of the tape].

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, kelper said:

What is the objection to genuine Scotchlok connectors?  What alternatives are used?  As anyone tried these?

 

image.thumb.png.7121a710bb20de17b687809a58b3178d.pngimage.png.00c481225d78b843f74ca2b0ec59d464.png

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XEUEFR2/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DPLPX2A

 

 

Unfortunately the genuine Scotchlocks get bad press from all of the inferior copies that are around. If you get genuine Scotchlocks they're fine if the correct size is used. Many automotive lighting cables now are relatively small and a reliable connection by the IDC connectors is unlikely.

 

The products you have shown are for joining cables together whereas the Scotchlocks tap into a cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

The products you have shown are for joining cables together whereas the Scotchlocks tap into a cable.

You can also buy Scotchloks for joining cables and that's what I use them for.  But it's important to use the correct sizes.

 

image.png.38c426055218d203be37e99b3ac9afed.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've used Scotch Locks and the cheap knock off copies without any problems, but I've always slopped some petroleum jelly in them to prevent any corrosion.

 

I also used them to tap into a canbus system for trailer electrics, using low current relays to switch the power.  No problems there either.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think part of the problem with modern rear LED light clusters is  some manufacturers now control the lighting with pulse width modulation control to change brightness or even colour of the LED's. 

 

Splicing in a bypass relay system sometimes interferes with this.

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scotchlocks are the work of the devil.

   John.

Edited by Leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Scotchlocks are the work of the devil.

   John.

Agreed. Mrs Marchie has 2 fitted to the Whisky bottle [and keeps the combination secret] ...

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...