Sign in to follow this  
jjohnd

Threads on gas bottles

I needed to change my empty gas bottle today. I carry a spare. I had trouble connecting the pig to the full bottle, in fact it leaked when I turned the bottle valve on. After a few checks, I ascertained that the threads on the new bottle are defective. Does anybody think that it is worth buying a tap to clean up the threads and therefore having this handy tool for future thread clean ups in future or just bite the bullet and buy a new bottle? In future, I am going to take my spare serviceable pig with me when buying a full bottle as opposed to finding damaged threads when I next need to change bottles.  

If the bottle is rented then get it swapped foc if defective.

When I buy a "new" bottle I fit it to the 'van and check for leaks just to make sure that there will be no problems when I need to fit it ;)

I would take it back to the retailer, tell them that the bottle is faulty and ask for a replacement. Let them do the checks/repair to the bottle. 

How would taking your spare pigtail with you show that the threads are damaged? Would you open the valve with an open ended pipe?  :o

Never had this problem in over 20 years, using rented bottles. 

On that basis I would deem the cost of thread tap unjustified 

What sort of bottle is it?  Size and make?

If it has defective threads, take it back and get a replacement.  

John.

15 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

When I buy a "new" bottle I fit it to the 'van and check for leaks just to make sure that there will be no problems when I need to fit it ;)

I would take it back to the retailer, tell them that the bottle is faulty and ask for a replacement. Let them do the checks/repair to the bottle. 

How would taking your spare pigtail with you show that the threads are damaged? Would you open the valve with an open ended pipe?  :o

If the pigtail screws in most of the way by hand, it is a fair indication that the threads are ok.

37 minutes ago, jjohnd said:

If the pigtail screws in most of the way by hand, it is a fair indication that the threads are ok.

I always screw the pigtail in by hand before tightening with a spanner or use the handwheel pigtails which require no spanner .

Dave

It would be useful to know if we are talking Butane or Propane? If Propane then a tap is of no use as the thread is very slightly tapered.

Best thing first off is to clean it thoroughly both in the bottle and tail threads, and make sure the mating faces are also clean. Finally check the rubber end plug (if there is one) and make sure it is free to rotate.

Then lubricate the threads and faces - the best thing to use is good quality virgin olive oil smeared very thinly ad especially on the rubber bits. Then screw it together again and check for a leak.

Wooden top, it is butane. Thanks to all who replied.

Any damage to a cylinder is the responsibility of Calor and the cylinder must be returned to the place you bought it and replaced with a new one.

Under NO circumstances must you attempt ANY repair on their cylinders.

With Butane connections there should be a rubber washer in the pigtail connection to the cylinder, these can drop out or become damaged , check yours is there and in good condition.

Edited by Brecon

AAHHH    as above   :)