AJGalaxy2012

Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure

Problem solved, you really couldnt make this up.

image.png.1b53d36099814da72a509fb480068794.png

Clutching at straws, the only thing you could say to support it is that you can use the waste heat and you could effectively and legally drive using red diesel and no road tax.

Isn't this the same as using a generator to run electrical items in a caravan?

You really couldn't make it up

I am sure with a flattening EV, finding that on route when way out in the wilderness, could be a great relief.

Mount it on a trailer and take it with you!  Run it on any oil you like!  I don't think it would be illegal, so long as you didn't hook up while driving :D

• Thanks 1

I expect that a static generator running at constant revs and without weight constraints would be cleaner than an IC engine in a car.

Posted (edited)

The German government want us to all buy electric cars powered by electricity generated from huge lignite fuelled power stations dug from destroyed communities just down the road from me, it's madness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garzweiler_surface_mine

There used to be around 20 villages here, all compulsory purchased and flattened. Churches, graveyards, houses, schools, forests, even an Autobahn all gone for huge profit and environmental damage. Laughable :angry:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-landrights-mine/villages-die-as-community-makes-way-for-coal-in-germany-idUSKBN1KY16Y

Garzweiler.png

Edited by Borussia 1900

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The German government want us to all buy electric cars powered by electricity generated from huge lignite fuelled power stations dug from destroyed communities just down the road from me, it's madness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garzweiler_surface_mine

There used to be around 20 villages here, all compulsory purchased and flattened. Churches, graveyards, houses, schools, forests, even an Autobahn all gone for huge profit and environmental damage. Laughable :angry:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-landrights-mine/villages-die-as-community-makes-way-for-coal-in-germany-idUSKBN1KY16Y

Garzweiler.png

And at the same time as the UK imposes crippling Carbon Taxes on fossil fuel stations making the uk energy prices amongst the highest in the world. 

And blaming EU legislation for those carbon taxes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, logiclee said:

And at the same time as the UK imposes crippling Carbon Taxes on fossil fuel stations making the uk energy prices amongst the highest in the world. 

And blaming EU legislation for those carbon taxes.

They're proposing yet more taxes here, a CO2 tax on all fuels and more VAT on meat. More tax does not equal better climate but the sheep here will just keep going baa!

The Germans bleat on about how green they are (they aren't) and how they want to phase coal powered stations out, not sure how they expect to achieve that considering they refuse to entertain nuclear energy.

7 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Problem solved, you really couldnt make this up.

image.png.1b53d36099814da72a509fb480068794.png

Clutching at straws, the only thing you could say to support it is that you can use the waste heat and you could effectively and legally drive using red diesel and no road tax.

Shame you didn’t link the article behind it, all is not as portrayed.

• +1 2

21 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

I read the article.They claim it is greener than burning diesel in a car because the generator runs at constant most efficient speed :

It’s better than putting diesel in a car, says Edwards, because the constant running rate of the gennie uses the fuel more efficiently than idling and accelerating in a car.

However, the point of these is to provide charging stations in remote areas, Australian Outback in this case :

Jon Edwards ... is looking into a solution that may solve this issue for transcontinental travellers

But transcontinental travel does not involve much "idling and accelerating".

The principle is bonkers.  Saves paying a lot of tax on your fuel though.

8 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

The principle is bonkers.  Saves paying a lot of tax on your fuel though

Is it though?

Isn't it just providing for a gap in infrastructure? It's not like this is the charging option that will be the norm 

A bit like owning a generator to power your caravan for that one weekend when you go to a festival.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Oh my goodness Frank, it was light hearted attempt at a bit of humour.

Yes the engine will be more efficient running at optimum speed.

Efficiencies can be gained by using the waste heat

You would be able to use many different fuels including red diesel to run it.

Downside as the charge peaks and then the current reduces the efficiency will then decrease.

13 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

I read the article.They claim it is greener than burning diesel in a car because the generator runs at constant most efficient speed :

There is some merit in that statement but as the charge reaches completion the big engine will still be running providing little more than a trickle charge. The other issue of course is that there are considerable losses generating power on this smallish scale.

16 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

There’s absolutely nothing in your OP which suggests humour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • +1 1

20 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I saw the humour in the picture even if it was lost on others!

I guess this one will slip past too!

image.png

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

image.png

Oh you might of course find it funny, but in a ‘typical, there’s no future in doing anything different from what we do now’ manner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

image.png

Hilarious.  Regarding charging an EV in the Outback I doubt if any Aussie would be stupid enough to take an EV into the bush!

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Hilarious.  Regarding charging an EV in the Outback I doubt if any Aussie would be stupid enough to take an EV into the bush!

Why would it be stupid if they knew that there was charging infrastructure to support it?

3 hours ago, kelper said:

Why do you want to be so mischievous?  The tagline is false.

https://factcheck.afp.com/no-not-petrol-generator-charging-electric-car

But it's so much less fun to rely on the truth!

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Seems plenty have, if you’d bothered to read the article behind the picture.

5 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

There’s absolutely nothing in your OP which suggests humour.

Heres a tiny clue, the first sentence "Problem solved, you really couldnt make this up"

Lighten up Frank, it really isnt so bad :D

Posted (edited)

I'd have to agree with Frank on this one.  I thought you were disparaging the idea of using a genny to charge an EV. :)

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, svimes said:

Why would it be stupid if they knew that there was charging infrastructure to support it?

However you would need to get to the charging infrastructure and if in the bush you never know what sort of obstacles you would encounter perhaps making it necessary to make a detour or perhaps if the going gets hard using more power than normal.  The same applies whether it is diesel or petrol and you require fuel which can only be obtained at a specific location.  At least with a diesel or petrol vehicle you can carry a reserve can of fuel.

4 hours ago, kelper said:

Why do you want to be so mischievous?  The tagline is false.

https://factcheck.afp.com/no-not-petrol-generator-charging-electric-car

Some people seem to have the humour gene missing :beardy: are you and Frank related by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wonder where you got the photo from in the first post? If a post is tongue in cheek, as you now claim, wouldn't it be wise to add a wee smiley?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1