wolfgang1983

Caravan washing machine

Hi I would like to know if it worth buying  a Portable Washing Machine and use my sites tap water connected to it.

Or if I could buy a regular 6kg combo dryer and washer and if possible connect garden hose to it.

Your thoughts.

We are permanently touring, we have a twin tub we use buckets to fill it we find it saves use £15 a week no queuing for machines. Full time yes odd week here and there no. 

This topic was discussed a couple of weeks ago.

I do not see the point in hauling around a washing machine taking valuable wine and beer space and weight, most sites have one that you can use at about a fiver a load. It's like some people taking a Bread Maker to France, makes me laugh when you can buy fresh bread any time of the day and for little money

• +1 1

I have a twin tub which is lightweight plastic but I would not want to deal around a larger domestic about 50 kg automatic washing machine but your still needing a EHU .

When I am now pushing 30 quid a night to stay on sites and paying 10 quid for a wash and tumble seems a small amount ?

Dave

53 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I do not see the point in hauling around a washing machine taking valuable wine and beer space and weight, most sites have one that you can use at about a fiver a load. It's like some people taking a Bread Maker to France, makes me laugh when you can buy fresh bread any time of the day and for little money

When touring we drink neither wine nor beer and the washing machines on site are almost invariably occupied just when you want to to use one.

2 hours ago, Coastline said:

We are permanently touring, we have a twin tub we use buckets to fill it we find it saves use £15 a week no queuing for machines. Full time yes odd week here and there no. 

I am on a pension for disability so trying to cut down on my weekly spend.

43 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I have a twin tub which is lightweight plastic but I would not want to deal around a larger domestic about 50 kg automatic washing machine but your still needing a EHU .

When I am now pushing 30 quid a night to stay on sites and paying 10 quid for a wash and tumble seems a small amount ?

Dave

That's how much it would cost me but in my country site fee including power $120 all week then plus the washing $130 - $140 But on disability allowance so trying to cut down as much as I can if get own portable washer I could save $30 a month

Just about every campsite I have been on has had dedicated laundry sinks! No charge to use them.

Andy

We had one of those plastic twin tubs and was surprised how well they worked and the spin cycle got them really dry compared to wringing by hand like at the laundry sinks.

• +1 2

Turn your undies inside out and wash them when you get home 😀

44 minutes ago, Nanamel said:

Turn your undies inside out and wash them when you get home 😀

And back to front, if you need another couple of days :rolleyes::D

We have one of these     https://www.towsure.com/leisurewize-portawash-twin-tub-washing-machine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KTBrMDs4wIVwbHtCh3fwAyPEAQYAiABEgLE5vD_BwE    and can thoroughly recommend it. others are available on Amazon  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=portable+twin+tub+washing+machine&s=price-asc-rank&crid=11G1LF368LL89&qid=1565034947&sprefix=portable+twin+tub+washing+machine%2Caps%2C174&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank   Ignore the single tub ones. We were on a site next to someone who bought one, the following week when they left it was in the bin  ;)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Flat_at said:

We have one of these     https://www.towsure.com/leisurewize-portawash-twin-tub-washing-machine?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KTBrMDs4wIVwbHtCh3fwAyPEAQYAiABEgLE5vD_BwE    and can thoroughly recommend it. others are available on Amazon  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=portable+twin+tub+washing+machine&s=price-asc-rank&crid=11G1LF368LL89&qid=1565034947&sprefix=portable+twin+tub+washing+machine%2Caps%2C174&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank   Ignore the single tub ones. We were on a site next to someone who bought one, the following week when they left it was in the bin  ;)

I have used the lightweight plastic twin tub for over 10 years and as said it is surprising how good they are but needs EHU and a constant boiling kettles and ideal on service pitches we're it can be set up I reach of the pipe to the tap .and drain . As long as your prepared to do a bit of effort as not an automatic and infact reminds me of my Sunday mornings and my father doing the washing with a old twin tub next to the kitchen sink .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Nearly bought a twin tub for our MH but as we're in the UK, washing was one thing but drying the loads was another issue. The twin tub would have taken an age, even if it was big enough, to wash duvet covers, throws, sheets etc.. Great for smalls but still have to dry them in cold damp weather :(.

We have developed a habit of always washing our “smalls” when we have a shower, A simple, free, and foolproof system! 

Andy

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

We have developed a habit of always washing our “smalls” when we have a shower, A simple, free, and foolproof system! 

What , whilst you are still in them :)

We have a twin tub these days and when touring in hot weather, changing the bed every few days, towels etc, we save a packet, plus it's a very sociable thing. We are instantly surrounded by Dutch holiday makers who as a nation, seem obsessed with laundry. Site laundries vairy from good to bad and rip off to fair.

In the past, we have.....

1) Used a nappy bucket from Mothercare. Fill with your smalls, hot water, detergent and screw the lid on. Leave in the boot of the motorhome on a travelling day and the motion of the van agistates the laundry and cleans it. If  a non travelling day, use a bucket and a plastic potato masher to agitate the water.

2) Drying - no need to hand wring. Lay the stuff out and roll over it with a rolling pin.

Can you tell my nanna had a mangle and a "posser" for doing the laundry.

It might only be a fiver here and a fiver there, but we would be spending £20 per week on laundry without the twin tub. When you are away for months at a time, it tots up.

Russ

You could try what an Army mate of mine used to do, we'd go on exercise in Canada (or Poland/Germany etc) for up to 2 months without any showers or proper washing facilities. Said mate would religiously keep the same underwear on for the entire period and then ceremoniously set fire to his 'Grots' on 'End-Ex'.

What a minger that lad was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You could try what an Army mate of mine used to do, we'd go on exercise in Canada (or Poland/Germany etc) for up to 2 months without any showers or proper washing facilities. Said mate would religiously keep the same underwear on for the entire period and then ceremoniously set fire to his 'Grots' on 'End-Ex'.

What a minger that lad was.

Was he the one reported in the media as having fell down the stairs and broke his boxers? Or was it the one who turned over sharply in bed and slit his throat on the sheets? :D

Steve

38 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Was he the one reported in the media as having fell down the stairs and broke his boxers? Or was it the one who turned over sharply in bed and slit his throat on the sheets? :D

Steve

I shared a room with a bloke once for 6 months, he changed his sheets once.