Attached folding step

Hopju

Toying with the idea of a step which folds out from under the caravan (swift 2012 conqueror 645) and wondering if anyone has successfully done this and if there are any pitfalls at all or advise on best anchorage points.

I removed our folding step because it could catch on protrusions and get bent - now have the standard portable grey plastic caravan step.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

We used to think the same, but when pitching in a field  and you have to level the 'van the steps may not be the right height .

Had one once, used it once, forgot about it!

They tend to be much too small and too close to the van to be practical. If it were big enough and far enough out it would need to be very strong and mounted to the chassis to stand the cantilever loads. Fine for MHs but too heavy for caravans.

Not had one but used them on friends M/home, it just not feel right , as depending on the pitch it's either too high (mostly) or too low. if I had a M/home I would still stick with my trusty double step Milenco

Les

Thanks for all the replies, you have pointed out things I hadn't thought of with regards to levelin etc , may stick with trusty mobile step. 

Friend has one on motor home but does not use it as  steps more often than not to high if pitches are not dead level. Bought a double Milenco step in plastic which they take with them. Did not use fitted step on previous motorhome either. 

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

I have a electric step on my MH but use a set of double steps as said the folding step is fine in motorway services but when the vehicle is levelled it can leave a large step up also they flex and it needs a secure mount  to a chassis .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I used to have a folding step on my old Eriba Troll and loved it.