Sign in to follow this  
Hopju

Flush with a mind of it's own

We are away in our 2012 Swift Conqueror and all has been well for first week then yesterday the flush seemed to be staying on to long when pressed. Low and behold a little later it could be heard flushing when know one was even near the bathroom. Eventually after attempts to stop it, it emptied the tank but the motor could still be heard. We disconnected its power supply to circuit board after peeling off cover. Is the problem likely to be circuit board under push button or something elsewhere. Most problems I read are about flush not working. Any help would be appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, the micro switch has a habit of sticking. Not surprising as it's a terrible environment for electrics.

I had this problem a couple of years ago and ended up getting a new switch although have cleaned up the old one and have it as a spare.

I think the flush system has given us more problems over the years than anything else.

This is ours although yours may be different: https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1050298

Edited by iansoady

It may help if you can give us the make and exact model of your toilet.

Sorry should have thought of that .... it's a Thetford  C-250 

Dodgy switch most likely or another wiring/pcb track fault having the same  effect.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-toilet/thetford-cassette-toilets/thetford-c-250-cassette-toilet-and-spares/control-sn-for-the-thetford-c-250-s-cs-cwe is the pcb/switch actuator part under the stick-on overlay.  It's likely it can be stripped down and the PCB switch replaced/ pcb cleaned up, if you have the skills.  Or you may consider the price for a new one acceptable? 

NB Other sellers are available, many caravan dealers will stock this item.

I had this on my old Mk 1 Bailey Unicorn Valencia. It just kept flushing. It was all the condensation under the control panel- once I had carefully peeled back the  plastic film to reveal the workings I saw that it was soaking. A quick dry and all OK again.  It can and does play havoc with micro switches . 

• +1 1

Dried the board and left it out for a day and it worked properly again for how long who knows but thank you to all who offered advice.

• Thanks 1

I'm amazed how many low voltage electronics can recover from a soaking.  I fell in the canal a few years ago and my phone stopped working.  Next day I dismantled it, rinsed it in tap water and left it to dry.  The phone switched on but the screen was terrible.  The flash did not work.  but over the next two weeks, bit by bit, it recovered 100%.  If you get yer kit wet, it's always worth taking the battery out or removing the supply until you can wash it out.  But sea water and you've no chance. 

Water does very little harm to low voltage electronics provided it is short term with the power off.

Corrosion is the big enemy and this takes time or power, sea water is ten times worse, but as long as the power is off quickly enough (battery out of phones) it can often, but not always, be washed out successfully.