Sign in to follow this  
florencemabel

dometic rm7271 fridge

My original caravan fridge failed and a replacement dometic rm7271 was fitted by a local caravan repairer.

The fridge worked ok on mains but did not on 12volts.The repairer said the fridge had to be on  and really 

cold before it would work on 12volts.My previous fridge worked ok on 12volts. while travelling.I have checked

all the fuses in the van and also the 12volts from the towing car.When the car is running the selector led for 12volts

is not on but is ok for 230v and gas.I know its a bit of a gamble with second hand stuff but this cost £600.Can anyone

advise here.

The repairer is wrong.  Either your fridge had a broken element when fitted, or it has not been correctly installed.  I think you need to take it up with him.  In any case, it would be wise to advise him now and see what happens.  If you leave it too long you weaken your case.  

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

Hi thanks for that.I have already been back to him and the conversation was not too pleasant.Sort of what do you expect with second hand stuff.Problem I only use the van about 3 times a year.The fridge was fitted in November and we didn't use it until June although tried it on mains ok.A decent repairer would have said nip it back and I will check it out.Looks like I have been conned.Many thanks.

There are several things to comment on.

First of all is the installer saying the fridge has to be really cold to work on 12v,,,that is totally wrong.

The 12v element is exactly the same in terms of heating effect as the mains element it is just that the majority of times it is used it is not on long enough to fully cool the fridge.

Secondly, unless specifically stated that all heating sources work when purchasing the fridge second hand, then it is up to the buyer to establish that they all actually do work, however, the fitting agent really should have checked that everything did work when he fitted it.

Lastly, as far as "being conned" goes, no I don't agree with that statement. 

It was 7 months between fitting and trying to use, that is your own fault, not the fitters, and just because it worked on mains when fitted, you did not check the 12v was working.

Get a mobile engineer to have a look at it and probably replace the 12v element if that has failed.

I agree with everything you have said and a mobile engineer is the only course of action.Do you know if it is possible to check the 12v operation other than connecting it to the towing car.The instructions for the fridge clearly state that the caravan battery would be quickly discharged so is it possible to use it just to test the operation.I am thinking the reason the 12v selector light does not come is no 12v or blown element.Thanks for your help.

The caravan battery only supplies power to the fridge controls, it does not supply power to the heating element.

The only way to check the element is measure the resistance of the element .

As you say the 12v selector light does not illuminate, it suggests that there is no 12v power from the van battery to the fridge, however, if it is working on gas that suggests that there IS power present.

As with most electrical problems it is difficult to pinpoint a problem without being in front of the unit with the necessary test equipment.