Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have had a moan over the years concerning CMC wardens, but this year the change has been so noticeable that I feel I have to mention it.  They have been absolutely superb , so helpful and welcoming, not just at a couple of sites but all seven of them that we have visited so far this year.  They have been welcoming with the dogs , taken time to explain / show things to me , not bothered us with the mower and even stopped to chat and have a laugh. Don't get me wrong , most are okay and do their jobs but  there has always been the odd jobsworth .  It's been so relaxing, I wonder if anyone else has noticed the change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been to one site, Altnaharra, on Scotland's north coast.  We got there early and the wardens phoned my mobile to say they had seen our reg number passing and were worried we had missed the site.  They were very welcoming.  Even in the rain they patrolled the site all day picking up sheep droppings so that we might not step in them.  They loaned us a waste-water carrier that we had forgotten to pack.  Perfect hospitality!  Some people are just born to host others; and caravaners are obviously a breed apart so as evidenced by this forum and its friendly ethos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CMC wardens are like Marmite.  Some are great and they are liked ... some are not and they are disliked.  Just goes to prove that there is no clear standard of wardens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be me then as I have yet to meet an unfriendly cc warden. Mind you I have only been caravanning for 38 years so I suppose there is time yet!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Easy T said:

Must be me then as I have yet to meet an unfriendly cc warden. Mind you I have only been caravanning for 38 years so I suppose there is time yet!

But everybody loves an older couple.  You are polite, well-mannered and tolerant.  I'm only 63, so I am a junior old fart.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was only 28 when I started vanning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Easy T said:

I was only 28 when I started vanning!

but that was in 1940!

Edited by kelper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Only met one CMC assistant warden, who was objectionable!

When the main warden returned to the site after a few days well deserved break there was a deputations of more than twenty complaining!

He was already on a warning for his behaviour!

The assistant warden departed a few days later!

Peace was restored!

Edited by PR1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Easy T said:

Must be me then as I have yet to meet an unfriendly cc warden. Mind you I have only been caravanning for 38 years so I suppose there is time yet!

I don't mean a jobsworth just to you personally , but over the years I have seen how some behave to other folk, though we've had some that I have wished far away,  but this year it has been so noticeable , enough for me to mention it  and it makes for a nicer holiday all round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have always encountered helpful wardens on CMC sites until we used the CMC Ilminster site.  The dog walk on site was the size of a postage stamp, under trees and very muddy so wife decided to walk the dogs off site. 

On the way to the entrance one of the dogs had to do their business and as my wife was picking it up, warden came running out of the office shouting at her that she should not be walking the dogs around the park and should use the dog walk.  She tried to explain that she was on her way to walk them off site but he would not to listen to her. 

She came back to the caravan in tears and wanted us to pack up and leave straight away.  As we were leaving the next day anyway I managed to persuade her that we would stay the night and leave early the next morning.

BTW leaving that site to enter the main road is a bit of a nightmare especially with a twin axle.  You are entering a busy 60mpg road off a side road and the view to your right is a bit limited if turning left.  If turning right again your vision is limited and you need to stick the nose of the vehicle out into the left lane to see down the road.  Never again will we use that site!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have always encountered helpful wardens on CMC sites until we used the CMC Ilminster site.  The dog walk on site was the size of a postage stamp, under trees and very muddy so wife decided to walk the dogs off site. 

On the way to the entrance one of the dogs had to do their business and as my wife was picking it up, warden came running out of the office shouting at her that she should not be walking the dogs around the park and should use the dog walk.  She tried to explain that she was on her way to walk them off site but he would not to listen to her. 

She came back to the caravan in tears and wanted us to pack up and leave straight away.  As we were leaving the next day anyway I managed to persuade her that we would stay the night and leave early the next morning.

BTW leaving that site to enter the main road is a bit of a nightmare especially with a twin axle.  You are entering a busy 60mpg road off a side road and the view to your right is a bit limited if turning left.  If turning right again your vision is limited and you need to stick the nose of the vehicle out into the left lane to see down the road.  Never again will we use that site!

A letter to East Grimstead  detailing both issues Durbanite, yu could be doing others a big favour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use CMC sites for the vast majority of our vanning, and generally find the wardens to be OK.

Chatting to our neighbour on Friday after our return home from the latest jaunt, and he was telling me about his experience at Troutbeck in the last few weeks.

On arrival, he stopped closer to the access barrier than is apparently “allowed”, although nothing was being blocked because there is a second entrance for on-site traffic.

The Warden told him he couldn’t stop there and had to reverse. Neighbour said sorry no can do, not very good at reversing.

Warden refused to let him go to check in, and instead lifted the barrier and made him drive round the site, come out again and up to the entrance barrier again and stop at the right place this time.

 

Now, to me, that was going a bit far, and neighbour said he felt he had been treated like a naughty school boy

 

Personally, I would have just gone onto a pitch, then back to the Office to book in (or in another frame of mind just driven off altogether.

 

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have always encountered helpful wardens on CMC sites until we used the CMC Ilminster site.  The dog walk on site was the size of a postage stamp, under trees and very muddy so wife decided to walk the dogs off site. 

On the way to the entrance one of the dogs had to do their business and as my wife was picking it up, warden came running out of the office shouting at her that she should not be walking the dogs around the park and should use the dog walk.  She tried to explain that she was on her way to walk them off site but he would not to listen to her. 

She came back to the caravan in tears and wanted us to pack up and leave straight away.  As we were leaving the next day anyway I managed to persuade her that we would stay the night and leave early the next morning.

BTW leaving that site to enter the main road is a bit of a nightmare especially with a twin axle.  You are entering a busy 60mpg road off a side road and the view to your right is a bit limited if turning left.  If turning right again your vision is limited and you need to stick the nose of the vehicle out into the left lane to see down the road.  Never again will we use that site!

 

A 60mpg road - could do with a few of those when towing!

Seriously though, we also will never visit Ilminster again, for different reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We use mainly CMC sites (seven or eight a year for the past 20 years) and have never come across an objectionable or stroppy warden but I've certainly encountered plenty of objectionable and stroppy caravanners.

 

I've been mightily impressed at how some wardens have managed to keep their cool when they've been confronted by them. Generally if you are polite and reasonable to them then they'll be the same in return but get stropped and you deserve to get some of it back in return.

 

I used to help out in a chandlers and those who were polite and reasonable got good helpful serve, those who were less than polite or became demanding got the minimum I could get away with (or even ignored).

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

A letter to East Grimstead  detailing both issues Durbanite, yu could be doing others a big favour

I emailed them and still no answer.

25 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

A 60mpg road - could do with a few of those when towing!

Seriously though, we also will never visit Ilminster again, for different reasons.

Ooops should be 60mph.  LOL!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you actually own a site I can't see why anyone would want to be a warden.

It's a pretty thankless task - putting up with other people's mess, moans and  demands.

I am full of admiration for those who choose to do it and in my experience the vast majority do it cheerfully and well.

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

A letter to East Grimstead  detailing both issues Durbanite, yu could be doing others a big favour

 

In my experience the CMC file those sort of letters in the shredder.  We had an exit barrier drop down onto our caravan leaving the Cragie Gardens site in Ayr many years ago. I had used the exit barrier correctly but for whatever reason the barrier came down when the caravan was halfway through. One warden decided to accuse me of tailgating another car through (I hadn't, i was the only vehicle going through) in such an offensive manner that he saw a side to me that very few have seen and fortunately my wife stood between us. Most others have been great, the only other two occasions were one that seemed to object to the colour of my wife's skin and another that accused me of churning up a pitch. Both of them were firmly but politely put in their place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had mixed experiences over the years.

 

My wife is an award winning supermarket manager,  she sometimes says " That warden is not fit for a customer focused role".

 

She also praises those worthy. 

 

We have been on two CMC sites this year, Sandringham was pants in regards to wardens, where as the one just below Lowestoft, cant remember the name, Michelle thought the wardens very good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have been on 12 CMC sites and about 50+ nights this year and only one site I found a jobs worth who enjoyed his position but all the others were helpful and friendly . One site was very relaxed staff no loo paper and the grass was round your ankles but an official visit and the next day all the wardens were out cutting the next morning .

 

 

Dave

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by CommanderDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the thing is we always remember the bad wardens, ( I wish they would find a new name for wardens )  A few years ago they were really bad and slowly they  have been improving  with their customer service and fair dues , so far so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What name would you suggest?  :)  Hosts, monitors, amenity advisors, leisure facilitators, site attendants, van ushers?  Why not start a poll?  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, joanie said:

... I wish they would find a new name for wardens ...

 

Joanie, on CMC sites they’ve been known as “site managers” for quite a number of years now (full title Holiday Site Managers - HSMs). But the CCC still stick with “wardens”.  I don’t mind either designation.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

We have been on two CMC sites this year, Sandringham was pants in regards to wardens, where as the one just below Lowestoft, cant remember the name, Michelle thought the wardens very good.

That'll be Kessingland, one part right on the beach.

 

To others: It's WardeN not WardeR (check out the UK dictionaries).  

 

We use Governor for the US-Canadian term of Warden (person in charge of a Gaol or Jail).

 

I think its the CCC who use the Site Assistant/Manager term? https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/aboutus/work-with-us/jobs/holiday-site-assistant/

 

CMC are happy with Warden https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/work-for-us/on-our-sites/assistant-wardens/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, joanie said:

the thing is we always remember the bad wardens, ( I wish they would find a new name for wardens )  A few years ago they were really bad and slowly they  have been improving  with their customer service and fair dues , so far so good. 

Warders

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

 

Joanie, on CMC sites they’ve been known as “site managers” for quite a number of years now (full title Holiday Site Managers - HSMs). But the CCC still stick with “wardens”.  I don’t mind either designation.

 

John

I never knew they were holiday site managers.  Outside the office where it tells you who is on duty , it still says wardens.   You would think that all the new titles they have for old jobs  these days, they could come up with something better than site manager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule for successful staff appointments in customer facing jobs should always be Hire for attitude, then train for skills.  

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...