Size of my Planks?

Blackhart

Hello

We have just purchased our new caravan which is a TA, our previous (and only other) one was a SA. Here are some questions for those of you who use 'scaffold' planks for leveling your TA caravan. The pictured arrangement would give me about 76 cm lift. Do I have the lengths about right? Do you think that I would need a third length to gain another 38 cm?

I have decided against Level'n'Lock as we will be on sites in Europe throughout the winter. I did email L'n'L asking if they were suitable for long term and they did not bother to reply to me. 

Please don't diverge this thread into another debate about how good/bad the L'n'L system is! :o

Thanks

BH

PS. It should read 'stopper' screwed to BOTTOM plank!

Planks.jpg

Edited by Blackhart

Looks okay. If using that method I'd cut a chamfer on the leading edge to help getting onto the planks and drill 2" holes along it to lighten them.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Good advice Gary...... I would also suggest the stopper attached to the bottom plank should protude 2 to 3 cm above the level of the top plank, this will stop the wheels running off the back of the ramp if a slight distance miss-judgement in caravan movement occurs.   The diagram indicates that no such rise exists . 

Cheers Chaps

Off to get a scaffold plank on Monday then.  :Thankyou:

BH

PS. Drawing amended...:blush:

Plnks.jpg

Edited by Blackhart

As thick as two short planks come to mind, sorry, i could not resist :D

Les

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

As thick as two short planks come to mind, sorry, i could not resist :D

...or even three! :P

BH

The relative lengths look fine, about 1ft overlap in old money.

Your 76mm lift is 3 inches in old money which is about what my Pyramid Chockmaster goes to for my SA van - very rarely needed any higher.

+1 for  drilling holes in the boards - they will be quite heavy.

Land Rover is now back towing.

you could if you so desired shorten the bottom plank further. If youre drilling holes to reduce weight, dont drill the bottom board, it may sink into softer ground, you could partially drill it but not all the way through or glue a layer of plywood to the bottom if its easier.

Did similar with plywood.

A few coats of yacht varnish on mine to prevent water absorption. ;)

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Just a thought. If you have alko wheel locks, maybe slightly longer planks would give some room to align the lozenge 

Good thought

Hello

I had an Alko wheel lock on our Conqueror, and it was a real pain to use, even when on the level, never mind if you had to use ramps. So much so that it was hardly ever used. I can imagine how difficult it would be on a TA. I now have a pair of Nemesis Ultra locks which are the same Thatcham category but are really easy to fit!

BH

12 hours ago, Blackhart said:

Hello

I had an Alko wheel lock on our Conqueror, and it was a real pain to use, even when on the level, never mind if you had to use ramps. So much so that it was hardly ever used. I can imagine how difficult it would be on a TA. I now have a pair of Nemesis Ultra locks which are the same Thatcham category but are really easy to fit!

BH

Never had a problem putting the AL-KO wheel lock on our Conqueror, just use the mover to nudge the caravan along to line it up.

I think you’ll find the Lock and Level a breeze. Best levelling device ever and the double one makes it so easy to fit the locks. 

We have two sets of these for our TA. Total weight of both sets is about 6kg.

Top 'plank' is only about 9" long but if careful I can still align the Alko wheel lock (only ever use one lock).

20190804_181523.thumb.jpg.210a5f6ae32274f9f934c6cc2ee12268.jpg

11 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Never had a problem putting the AL-KO wheel lock on our Conqueror, just use the mover to nudge the caravan along to line it up.

Then,  "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din" :blush:

BH

Update.

Scaffold planks purchased £44.00 for two! Ramps cut, and treated with wood preservative. Then tested on the caravan.

Bingo, they worked! :D

I made two sets of three ramps as our drive is on a slope and to level the caravan for and aft it needs a bit of extra height, and of course one set for each side.

I needed to modify the backstop (where have I heard that before!) a little as the one on the middle size ramp was hitting the tyre when fully back.

I don't mind the caravan not being level on the drive normally, but when all the family come to stay (as they have today) we use the caravan as extra sleeping quarters. Usually one of the girls sleeps there, but guess who's sleeping in the brand new caravan this time?

BH

P1030190.JPG

P1030191.JPG

18 hours ago, Blackhart said:

Update.

Scaffold planks purchased £44.00 for two! Ramps cut, and treated with wood preservative. Then tested on the caravan.

Bingo, they worked! :D

I made two sets of three ramps as our drive is on a slope and to level the caravan for and aft it needs a bit of extra height, and of course one set for each side.

I needed to modify the backstop (where have I heard that before!) a little as the one on the middle size ramp was hitting the tyre when fully back.

I don't mind the caravan not being level on the drive normally, but when all the family come to stay (as they have today) we use the caravan as extra sleeping quarters. Usually one of the girls sleeps there, but guess who's sleeping in the brand new caravan this time?

BH

P1030190.JPG

P1030191.JPG

That lot looks a tad heavy, but is it? Have you weighed them?

Ern

Just now, Ern said:

That lot looks a tad heavy, but is it? Have you weighed them?

I haven't,  and I'm not going to.  :o They seem to do the job and they'll travel in the back of my L200. Of course I'll only be taking one set with us as the 2nd set is for only for use on our drive.

Oh yes, and the first night sleepover on our drive went well. :)

BH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mmmmm...... I find it strange that people have mentioned they have levellers for BOTH side (2 sets) I’ve never needed to level both sides,(although always use hard pitches) but surely only one side or the other needs to be raised not both, unless of course the van needs to be higher to account for waste drainage, into a grey waste grid.....as some of these sites build a small wall around the drain... pain in the backside because you have to try and build in a fall in the pipe to get over it, especially with TAs as they are quite low slung.

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...😩😩😩

An update...

After all of the above, for our travels I have purchased a TA Lock'n'Level! The 'planks are great for our drive and allow me to level the 'van fore & aft, but I didn't want to have to lug them around Europe and Morocco with us.

I took the L'n'L with us on our inaugural trip to the isle of Bute and needed to use them on the site there (Roseland - the only caravan site on the island) where the offside needed raising about 5 inches. The other sites we stayed at were all billiard table level.

I must say that I found the L'n'L a breeze to use.

KH

P1030446 100.jpg

P1030445 100.jpg

On 13/09/2019 at 12:08, Timanita said:

Mmmmm...... I find it strange that people have mentioned they have levellers for BOTH side (2 sets) I’ve never needed to level both sides,(although always use hard pitches) but surely only one side or the other needs to be raised not both, unless of course the van needs to be higher to account for waste drainage, into a grey waste grid.....as some of these sites build a small wall around the drain... pain in the backside because you have to try and build in a fall in the pipe to get over it, especially with TAs as they are quite low slung.

Hello

I need two for the drive as it slopes...

KH

Edited by Blackhart