Sign in to follow this  
Alan Stanley

New Bailey DISCOVERY model announced

Bailey launched new range

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/caravans/discovery/discovery-d4-4

Some very interesting features.  

A different curvy development of the Body

an awning rail that allows wrap around awnings. I e side and back of van all in one

long front drawbar that allows bikes or storage box etc

light weight and aggressively priced

Looks fantastic, the 3-berth layout in particular is a nod to a very popular layout in the past. Sadly my 3G can’t cope with the Bailey page very well but I’ve seen enough to be interested!

Interesting, I guess they are taking on the Basecamp.

Personally I wouldn't want to be putting an awning up every trip but I guess your don't have to. I'd have liked to have seen a bunk option on the three berth, it could then be a truly compact four or five berth in the mould of 80s layouts

It does seem to be the case that Swift and Bailey keep making their basic ranges more luxurious and then having to add in a new range at the bottom. In recent years we had the Sprite Freedom which didn't really sell but the funky Basecamp does.

I can't say I'm that impressed, it looks like Bailey are planning to sell you the awning  at £1199 as that seems to be the most stand out thing about this caravan. They have done away with the small windows in the front and also  one of the roof windows.  I see now that it is an entry caravan modestly priced and lightweight, with an option of a bike rack or storage box. Not  for me but I will look forward to seeing the L shaped  awning on site.

• Like 1

Odd looking thing. It looks like the smaller ones are aimed at the Basecamp/Sport and Fun ranges, but without their quirkiness. Which seems to be a big part of the appeal in that market sector. 

Not sure what the bigger ones are aiming for.  They are light though, and relatively cheap, but wouldn’t be for us. 

The D4-4 has s probably too close in size, price and weight to the Phoenix 440, the D4-2 and D4-3 probably have more to set them apart. The D4-4 ought to have been like the D4-3 but with a longer front lounge/ sleeping area.

The awning looks interesting to say the least but I suspect it would be a bit of a faff to put up.

Now I’ve been able to download the brochure that does look very interesting to say the least.

Oh, and a very welcome return of silver sides - we love our silver Pursuit

Edited by FrankBullet

Exciting to see different sorts of caravans coming to the market. Not sure that it will compete wellwith the Basecamp, as it doesn't have its quirkiness. Not sure that it will beat an Xplore 304 either.  Even so, well done Bailey. Keep on innovating.

mel

Certainly an interesting build concept, using the wrap around rear corners, in the same way the make the roof and front in one piece( if they still do that).

Wonder if the joining strip at the back may cause problems

Popped into White Arches today as they’ve advertised the Discovery is in stock - they have two...which were frustratingly both D2’s.

At least this gives you the chance to look around the finishes etc., and I can only

conclude it’s an excellent value well-designed piece of kit. The quality and price are beautifully judged, the specification is solid - the finishes are superb and overall it looks like a worthy modern replacement for the Pursuit.

Hopefully there will be some additional

layouts (the D3 with a longer front lounge would be excellent, I think some family-layouts would be a good development) but I’d suggest anyone who isn’t into dragging a Gin-palace around take a look.

The one inside had the wonderfully huge awning on it - looks fantastic.

Might pop into the show this week as I have a day off Wednesday, hope to see the D3 and D4 in the Alutec.

I can certainly see the “wrap-around” awning taking off (sales wise, not in the wind ;)!) 

How long before the other manufacturers, along with awning makers,  follow suit. Anyone know if its a “conventional” or “air” awning? 

Andy

It’s an air awning - I think trying to coordinate poles on two sides of the van would bring a new emphasis to the term ‘divorce in a bag’!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

It’s an air awning - I think trying to coordinate poles on two sides of the van would bring a new emphasis to the term ‘divorce in a bag’!

:Thankyou:  And not a bad price considering it’s size.

The only drawback I can see is that at over 7 m long if you then add the wrap,around awning you are going to need a VERY long pitch, which could be an issue on some foreign sites. 

Now I wonder if that wrap around feature will be available as an “add on” to earlier models (Like my  2019 Phoenix!)

Andy

30kg isn’t that bad for a decent sized awning, I have a Sunncamp 390 air and THAT weighs in at 30 kg. Poled versions are probably a similar weight if you take into account the poles as well.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

30kg isn’t that bad for a decent sized awning, I have a Sunncamp 390 air and THAT weighs in at 30 kg. Poled versions are probably a similar weight if you take into account the poles as well.

Andy

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/air-technology-awnings/caravan-awnings/awnings/81561-sunncamp-swift-390-air-caravan-porch-awning?gclid=CjwKCAjwlovtBRBrEiwAG3XJ-4J8ZX66I8iz5PvWTwWHnzPgCiKM9cAzh1oN_AqLdXx7a5_4sStnXBoC9wcQAvD_BwE

if this is yours, it's 13 kg  if I read it correctly , the same weight as mine:unsure:

They don’t force you to buy the awning, it’s an option!

If somebody wants to use a pole porch awning then that works too but it does give a fantastic option

2 hours ago, joanie said:

if this is yours, it's 13 kg  if I read it correctly , the same weight as mine:unsure:

Nope, wrong one, I have This one and it does weigh 30kg, but it is pretty substantial

Andy

31 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Nope, wrong one, I have This one and it does weigh 30kg, but it is pretty substantial

Andy

That looks very much like the Kampa Air Ace.

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

when we were looking for air awnings we chose a different one to start with but I couldn't lift it so we had the lighter one, we've had it 3 years now, but no way could we have one like yours or the large bailey one. 

49 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That looks very much like the Kampa Air Ace.

But the  Sunncamp awning doesn’t let the water in like Kampa are (apparently) prone to do)  :) 

Mine has been 100% watertight from day one. 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But the  Sunncamp awning doesn’t let the water in like Kampa are (apparently) prone to do)  :) 

Mine has been 100% watertight from day one. 

Our Kampa Air Ace never leak but with the amount of condensation it it it might as have leaked.  Bonus was that we had a free pool with it every time it rained.  Unfortunately the pool was on the roof!  :D

Couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

Sounds like you have a good one as I know from posts on here that many Kampa owners have had serious water ingress issues, usually it seems around the zips because Kampa don’t seall the stitching there.

As for condensation I have found that if you can get your awning onto hard standing rather than grass the amount of condensation is greatly reduced! Think of how the likes of Bear Grylis and Ray Mears show how to get fresh water by digging a shallow pit and covering it with polythene  to collect overnight condensation and you can see how awnings can act in a very similar manner! I always try and pitch so the awning is not on grass if at all possible.The other option is to use a NON breathable ground sheet/awning carpet so the condensation is trapped underneath it, but those are never popular with site owners.  

Andy

51 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Sounds like you have a good one as I know from posts on here that many Kampa owners have had serious water ingress issues, usually it seems around the zips because Kampa don’t seall the stitching there.

As for condensation I have found that if you can get your awning onto hard standing rather than grass the amount of condensation is greatly reduced! Think of how the likes of Bear Grylis and Ray Mears show how to get fresh water by digging a shallow pit and covering it with polythene  to collect overnight condensation and you can see how awnings can act in a very similar manner! I always try and pitch so the awning is not on grass if at all possible.The other option is to use a NON breathable ground sheet/awning carpet so the condensation is trapped underneath it, but those are never popular with site owners.  

Andy

We used to leave the "door" flaps open at night on the Kampa to help. but to no avail.  The weight was the main deciding factor is getting rid of the air awning.  We have now got a Magnum for the summer and an unknown brand 220 size for winter and have never had condensation issues.  :D

I can understand your issue with the weight. I am fortunate in being fit and healthy with no back, hip or knee problems so can manhandle 30kg of awning without too much problem. Mrs Plodd assists when threading it into the channel while I pull it! 

If either of us had health issues then I could foresee problems in using an air awning.

We did have a full size (17) Dorema type poled awning. I understand entirely why they are often referred to as a “Divorce in a bag” So much faffing about to get the (already colour coded) poles in the right place and then having to tension everything correctly and THEN the myriad of pegs soon put me off using it.

A couple of trips later  I got chatting to a guy on a site who was about to put up an air. He invited me to watch whilst he and his wife dealt with it. I offered to help but he insisted it would be much better to simply watch to see both how it’s done, and the speed it could be done at. 10 minutes later we were thoroughly convinced, and, having now used one a fair number of times WE feel the air variety. despite what pole fans claim, are both much easier, and considerably quicker, to put up and take down. 

For inflation I have an electric pump, about 4 minutes and it done.

We also have a much smaller 2m x 2m porch awning made of lightweight material we use in the winter to store boots and coats etc in. It also acts as a excellent “air lock” to keep the heat in and the cold out when opening the habitation door! 

Andy

I have a Kampa Ace Air 400 - it doesn’t leak, it does occasionally suffer from condensation but we just partially open the doors and leave the fly-screens in place. It is heavy (over 30kg I think) but I have no issues in moving it around or pulling it through the awning rail which I can do on my own if necessary but is easier with somebody guiding it in to ensure material doesn’t get pulled into the  channel.

No interest in a pole awning.