Sign in to follow this  

Hi all.... I’m Charlie from Herefordshire. My wife and I are looking for our first caravan. We have just sold our Motorhome and are looking at the Sterling range of vans.

We are looking for recommendations please. Our budget is around 12K. The tow car is a late model Toyota RAV4 2.2 diesel  automatic. 

Any hi everyone 👍👍👍👍

Hi Charlie. 

With a 12k budget and a RAV4, you’ll have no shortage of vans to choose from. My advice would be to look at loads, from a range of manufacturers. Coming from a mh you’ll know how many variations there are on a theme and should already have a good idea what sort of layout will work best for you. And no doubt know about getting an up to date damp report, making sure any prospective purchase has been serviced every year if it’s within the damp ingress warranty period so you can transfer it. 

If you’re looking at Swift products my personal preference would be a Sprite based van over the more expensive Sterling Range, you’ll get a newer/better condition van for your money, albeit lower spec. But the modern Sprites are not unpleasant places to be. I would say that though, we’ve got a dealer special edition which has been a really good purchase so far. 

Find a good local dealer who you can trust, a good dealer can make life much easier. Travelling a long way for a bargain can become a real pain if you need to take it back for any repairs. 

Have you got a  BE driving licence? If not I imagine you’ll be limited to smaller vans  as a B licence is restricted to 3500kg total plated weights. If you’re not sure about weights, just ask, it’s dead straightforward no matter how much some folk on here try and make it confusing. 

• Like 1

As said the question is whether you have a B+E licence or not?  With a 2.2 diesel auto you are going to be restricted to caravans with a maximum weight of less than 1260kgs.

Thanks both.....

We have bought a Lunar Clubman... I am of the age that my licence permits towing bigger vans. 

Our Rav can tow up to 1800 KG the vans all up weight is about 1500 so we fall within the advised 85% that’s desirable ..

Cheers. 

The 85% recommendation is based on the vehicles kerbweight in ratio to the Mtplm of the caravan .

Dave

13 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

I am of the age that my licence permits towing bigger vans. 

Its not your age that counts, it’s the date you passed you driving test!

13 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

Our Rav can tow up to 1800 KG the vans all up weight is about 1500 so we fall within the advised 85% that’s desirable ..

Cheers. 

You need to do a  little more reading about weights as your theory is potential flawed.

Others will be along to help on this.

Hi Charlie, :welcome:to the Forum.

This might be a coincidence but you didn't use to be on the Toyota Owners Club Forum using the same profile name? Just wondering.

Bonne Chance.

Posted (edited)

Doosan 

yes I did. 

There is a new better RAV4 forum now. Google RAV4 drivers club. 👍👍

9 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Its not your age that counts, it’s the date you passed you driving test!

You need to do a  little more reading about weights as your theory is potential flawed.

Others will be along to help on this.

I did my homework. The 85% is the recommended maximum the car can tow. 

There is a website dealers use where they put in the registration number of the towing vehicle and the caravan proposed . 

My car car is automatic so it’s maximum legal tow weight is 1800 Kg. If it were a manual transmission car it would be able to tow 2000 Kg.

The automatic car is 200 Kg heavier than the manual hence the lower number. 

I passed my driving test way before 1997 when the changes to entitlement were made. 

Why do you think my numbers are wrong ? 

Edited by Charliefarlie

1 minute ago, Charliefarlie said:

Doosan yes I did.

There is a new better RAV4 forum now. Google RAV4 drivers club. 👍👍

You gave me some very helpful advice on the two third engine replacement and is still going strong. :):Thankyou: 

8 hours ago, Doosan said:

Hi Charlie, :welcome:to the Forum.

This might be a coincidence but you didn't use to be on the Toyota Owners Club Forum using the same profile name? Just wondering.

Bonne Chance.

Good luck with what ?????????????????

VB

1 minute ago, Doosan said:

You gave me some very helpful advice on the two third engine replacement and is still going strong. :):Thankyou: 

You should pop into the new forum.

it was set up by a few of us members who were fed up of the over zealous moderation on the TOC. 

Pleased to hear your car is going well.... The odd failure still pops up but very infrequently now :D

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 10:35, Durbanite said:

As said the question is whether you have a B+E licence or not?  With a 2.2 diesel auto you are going to be restricted to caravans with a maximum weight of less than 1260kgs.

Sorry that’s incorrect.. The RAV4 diesel automatic can tow 1800 Kg. The manual transmission cars can tow 2000 Kg as they are 200Kg lighter than the automatic cars.

7 hours ago, Charliefarlie said:

I did my homework. The 85% is the recommended maximum the car can tow. 

There is a website dealers use where they put in the registration number of the towing vehicle and the caravan proposed . 

My car car is automatic so it’s maximum legal tow weight is 1800 Kg. If it were a manual transmission car it would be able to tow 2000 Kg.

The automatic car is 200 Kg heavier than the manual hence the lower number. 

Why do you think my numbers are wrong ? 

The dealers website you quote is often flawed with incorrect data so a manual calculation is often the best choice.

Your car may have a max tow weight of 1800kg, but there is a vast difference between towing an 1800kg flatbed trailer with a low centre of gravity, and an 1800kg slab sided tin box that is easily moved by passing lorries, vans and cross winds.

What is the Mass in Service of your car, sometimes quoted as the “kerb weight”.

The quoted 85% is the ratio between the kerb weight of the car and the plated MTPLM of the caravan.

So effectively you are basing the calculation on the lightest the car could be and the heaviest the caravan can be, it is on that figure the recommendation for the 85% is based for inexperienced tow car drivers, moving to a100% ratio once you have gained experience.

It is not an exact science as the 85% came about years ago before ABS, hitch head stabilisers and stability controls such as ATC, but is quoted as a starting point as there is not much else to go by.

Charliefarlie your figures are correct. Twice now I have had spot checks and both times they had a cursory look around the car and van at the usual (tyres, mirrors, electrics, breakaway cable) but the main thing was the weight of caravan and of car and train weight. Once that was all ok they waved me off and on to next vehicle

On 15/08/2019 at 19:35, Charliefarlie said:

Looking at the actual car weight I would have thought a good match - what is the hitch permitted load?

With respect this is getting ridiculously confusing.

i did my homework. I’m a moderator on the Rav4 drivers forum where I asked the relevant questions then asked again at Toyota then asked again at two large caravan dealers both of who used the computer resource and confirmed that the caravan we have bought falls well within the mythical 85 % advised figure and that the cars capability is 1800Kg

Again with respect one member above says the car can only tow 1260Kg. That frankly is not only frightening for someone new like me but entirely incorrect. What we type has consequences whether we’re right or wrong. 

Im more than confident about the rig we have and the capability of the towing vehicle. 

The van had the hitch head stabiliser and ATC Again I asked listened and selected the van on that advice. 

I genuinely appreciate input especially as I’m new but some of the figures are so far off the mark it’s crazy.....

thanks 👍 

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

I did see the same comment about that maximum tow weight of 1260 Kg, totally wrong. 

I have a 2007 XT3 2.2 Rav4 and my caravan has weight of 1365 Kg and it pulls this van with no problem.

It seems to me you have done your home work and what you have found out is correct.

Dave.

Bonne Chance 

• Thanks 1