Sign in to follow this  
The road toad

Noisy Alde Heating Pump Lunar Si

After putting up with a noisy pump for a couple of years I have taken the plunge and fitted a 12v Motor Speed Controller to the heating pump that is situated in the wardrobe of our Lunar Si
I will have to wait until I can fully check that I can turn down the pump speed and so reduce the noise but still have an efficient heating system.
Why someone would place a pump right next to a bed is beyond me - my wife reckons it must have been designed by a man!
I used this controller as it had mounting points for small self tapping screws - 12V Motor Speed Controller,DC10-60V 20A Pulse Width Modulator PWM Motor Speed Controller £10.48 from Amazon.

wpm.jpg

I hope this works for you but suspect the only way to silence the heating system will be to fit the boiler mounted pump as fitted to recent Lunars.

You may be correct but I think it is worth a £12.00 gamble against the £100+ for the in line pump.

I will report back on the results!

On 04/08/2019 at 07:37, robhar said:

I hope this works for you but suspect the only way to silence the heating system will be to fit the boiler mounted pump as fitted to recent Lunars.

Mine's not noisy - at least, if it's noisy after the pump has been removed for any reason then undoing the screw cap and reseating eliminates all noise.

• +1 1

I can confirm that it WILL work.  I know this because I have done it and used it for over a year.

John

• Like 1

JCloughie - Thank you for confirming that it works!

I understand from earlier posts that it requires a bit of trial and error to find the speed that has it running quieter but still able to push the heat around the van and to the towel rail.

I am now looking at possibly enlarging the vents on the front widow sill - I have heard that this was an acknowledged design fault by Lunar as they should have been at least 4cms wide and not the 1.5cm as installed. But, it looks like a fiddly job.

9 hours ago, The road toad said:

I understand from earlier posts that it requires a bit of trial and error to find the speed that has it running quieter but still able to push the heat around the van and to the towel rail.

I am now looking at possibly enlarging the vents on the front widow sill - I have heard that this was an acknowledged design fault by Lunar as they should have been at least 4cms wide and not the 1.5cm as installed. But, it looks like a fiddly job.

Re vents.  I think you are right, mine is OK at 2015.  I think I remember that one or two have written how they did theirs.

John 

11 hours ago, The road toad said:

When you remove the cushions and chest of drawers you'll see the false panel which allows the heat to rise between it and the front bulkhead - remove it and use extra batterns to give 20mm clearance and raise it slightly to give 20mm at the top - no point increasing more as thje bedbox structure restricts the flow - do the same mod with the ventilation boards to give 20mm. After I "designed" that modification, Alde approved it and then the dealer did the work under warranty.

I have now completed the modifications of increasing the sizes of the apertures that allow the heat to rise above the fin radiators and increased the clearance between wall and the settee back boards and it has definitely improved the flow.

Once I get the appropriate circular cutting bit I will add openings either side of the open 'shelf' under the centre drawers to improve airflow in that area.

I ave noticed that the headboard of the bed is bowed in towards the wall (too much leaning against it with our morning cuppa and ginger snap) so I will add a baton either side of the central one to maintain a good airflow.

and,

I can re-confirm that adding the motor speed controller to the wardrobe pump works! With a bit of trial and error adjusting the speed we now have a virtually silent system and it heats the towel rail as well.