Sign in to follow this  
Jenson675

CMC Esso Card in France

Hello, I ve had a CMC Esso card for a while.  We are off to France in a few weeks.  Has anyone used their card in France ? Does it work the same and is it worth using ?

Just looking for feedback if not we will just use our usual method of payment.

Thanks

We are away soon as was wondering the same.

Looking on their website there are lots of filling stations on the France map selling Esso so presumably you can use your card there.      I've been using mine in the Midland for the past 10 days and with each fill up I've saved £2 on a bill of £40.   The price I paid was quite a bit less than Tesco.

3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Looking on their website there are lots of filling stations on the France map selling Esso so presumably you can use your card there.      I've been using mine in the Midland for the past 10 days and with each fill up I've saved £2 on a bill of £40.   The price I paid was quite a bit less than Tesco.

Will Esso prices at private fuel stations be as cheap as supermarket own brand fuels,even after discount? We were paying €1.38-€1.43 per litre for diesel on our return to the Dieppe ferry on 18th July [Super U, Intermarché and Leclerc over 2 days]. With this week's nosedive on the exchange rate, French diesel prices are likely to sting a bit!

Steve

Credit card rate is €1.10 today.

It was €1.12 back in February.

Posted (edited)

As we are away in tree weeks I have been checking, the providers that I use, today's rate is ICE = 1.084 and FaiFX = 1.068, normally they are more competitive, 1.10 seems a good rate that OneWheel has mentioned

Edited by Les Medes

14 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Credit card rate is €1.10 today.

It was €1.12 back in February.

But was north of €1.14 during April. Yesterday was a 31 month low for Sterling and the markets are anticipating further falls between now and the end of October. After Brexit, we'll be limited to 3 months stay in Europe; at current rates, I don't think I could afford to stay longer... :D

Steve

I have just looked on the CMC site and it says that you can use the card anywhere in Europe at ESSO filling stations (Excluding Esso Express). However, you won’t benefit from the special rate, but will save on the transaction fee.

Thus, it seems you’ll be better using a no fee credit card like Halifax Clarity as there doesn’t seem to be any benefit from using the Esso card.

22 hours ago, nigel207 said:

I have just looked on the CMC site and it says that you can use the card anywhere in Europe at ESSO filling stations (Excluding Esso Express). However, you won’t benefit from the special rate, but will save on the transaction fee.

Thus, it seems you’ll be better using a no fee credit card like Halifax Clarity as there doesn’t seem to be any benefit from using the Esso card.

Will there be a transaction fee saving as the fuel will be billed in euros and will be converted  by whom and at what rate?