Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jenson675

CMC Esso Card in France

Recommended Posts

Hello, I ve had a CMC Esso card for a while.  We are off to France in a few weeks.  Has anyone used their card in France ? Does it work the same and is it worth using ?

 

Just looking for feedback if not we will just use our usual method of payment.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are away soon as was wondering the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking on their website there are lots of filling stations on the France map selling Esso so presumably you can use your card there.      I've been using mine in the Midland for the past 10 days and with each fill up I've saved £2 on a bill of £40.   The price I paid was quite a bit less than Tesco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Looking on their website there are lots of filling stations on the France map selling Esso so presumably you can use your card there.      I've been using mine in the Midland for the past 10 days and with each fill up I've saved £2 on a bill of £40.   The price I paid was quite a bit less than Tesco.

Will Esso prices at private fuel stations be as cheap as supermarket own brand fuels,even after discount? We were paying €1.38-€1.43 per litre for diesel on our return to the Dieppe ferry on 18th July [Super U, Intermarché and Leclerc over 2 days]. With this week's nosedive on the exchange rate, French diesel prices are likely to sting a bit!

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit card rate is €1.10 today.

It was €1.12 back in February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As we are away in tree weeks I have been checking, the providers that I use, today's rate is ICE = 1.084 and FaiFX = 1.068, normally they are more competitive, 1.10 seems a good rate that OneWheel has mentioned

Edited by Les Medes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Credit card rate is €1.10 today.

It was €1.12 back in February.

But was north of €1.14 during April. Yesterday was a 31 month low for Sterling and the markets are anticipating further falls between now and the end of October. After Brexit, we'll be limited to 3 months stay in Europe; at current rates, I don't think I could afford to stay longer... :D

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just looked on the CMC site and it says that you can use the card anywhere in Europe at ESSO filling stations (Excluding Esso Express). However, you won’t benefit from the special rate, but will save on the transaction fee.

 

Thus, it seems you’ll be better using a no fee credit card like Halifax Clarity as there doesn’t seem to be any benefit from using the Esso card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nigel207 said:

I have just looked on the CMC site and it says that you can use the card anywhere in Europe at ESSO filling stations (Excluding Esso Express). However, you won’t benefit from the special rate, but will save on the transaction fee.

 

Thus, it seems you’ll be better using a no fee credit card like Halifax Clarity as there doesn’t seem to be any benefit from using the Esso card.

 

Will there be a transaction fee saving as the fuel will be billed in euros and will be converted  by whom and at what rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...