Sign in to follow this  
Basttiiaan

Total Newbies

Hi , Me and the better half are looking at buying our first caravan , We were given one yesterday for free but on getting it home discovered so many problems,  rotten wood and damp in the entire ceiling , leaky windows,damp shower room,as well as alot of other minor-medium problems we knew about some of the issues but on discovering how severe the damp was, we decided to pass it on to someone else as a project . It has kind of worried me a little now .

We are on a very low budget of around £800 . 

As we are total noobs to caravans we have no idea what to be looking out for . Also i read somewhere the caravan should be around 85% the weight of my tow car so at a guess im thinking the caravan should really be no more than 1267 i think thats right .  car is Mass in Service = 1690 , Its a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso ,year is 2011. 

sorry i meant 1436 dunno where i got 1267 from

:welcome:go back to the Home page and click on advice, there's a lot of info there for you .

• Like 1

First of all - Welcome to caravan Talk Forum.

Secondly, the figure of 85% weight ratio is often banded around as if it has some legal standing but it does not.

Your legal limit will be different for each towcar but there is a recommendation that those unfamiliar with towing should keep the trailer (caravan) weight below 85% of the towcar's kerbweight;  with experience higher weights may be towed perfectly legally if within the specified limits of the towcar. In all cases, the lighter the trailer compared to the towing vehicle, the less chance there is of the "tail wagging the dog".

As previously mentioned there is lots of advice held on our main website.

Posted (edited)

If you passed your driving test after 1997 you will be limited to a combined gross weight of 3500kg, unless you take and pass the B+E test.

The C4 Grand Picasso gross weight is about 2100kg (check on VIN plate) so the maximum caravan gross weight (MTPLM) would be 1400Kg.

Exceeding the 3500kg limit would be a driving licence offence.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

I think finding a dry caravan with a budget of only £800 will be difficult. It will have to be a private purchase so you are likely to see a lot of turkeys.

Get yourself a moisture meter and learn how to use it. 

But best of all, try to increase your budget.

• Like 1