Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyboy1

Electrical Sparks in Gas Locker

Hi all, assistance required if possible.  

We’re just about to take our 2017 Lunar Clubman SR in for its second service tomorrow, whilst cleaning every thing out yesterday a got a shock, yep, I mean a real shock albeit very small, at first I thought it might have been static but I took my electrical tester out this morning and put the live stabby little pin, I’m not an electrician, I put it on the metal plate I believe this is aluminium in the gas locker which sits at the rear of the gas bottles and I put the negative little stabby pin on the tester on the metal hinge on the locker door, at this point I got a continuous beep from my tester, as I said I’m not an electrician, but, Im not sure if this is correct, can any one tell me what it might signify, I’d like to know before it goes into the service shop so that I’m not blinded by science.  Any advice would be welcomed, thanks in advance.

johnnyboy

Most meters only beep when on resistance / continuity setting.   I would hope the big metal locker hinge assembly and the metal plate behind the gas on the clubman are earthed. Therefore a meter on continuity setting would be expected to beep. 

Were  you on mains hookup at the time? If so, then you may have faulty mains electrics, and these need checking by a professional. 

If you weren’t on mains, then it probably was static. 

Either way, inform the dealer and ask them to check whilst doing the service 

• I agree completely 1

54 minutes ago, Johnnyboy1 said:

We’re just about to take our 2017 Lunar Clubman SR in for its second service tomorrow, whilst cleaning every thing out yesterday a got a shock, yep, I mean a real shock albeit very small, at first I thought it might have been static but I took my electrical tester out this morning and put the live stabby little pin, I’m not an electrician, I put it on the metal plate I believe this is aluminium in the gas locker which sits at the rear of the gas bottles and I put the negative little stabby pin on the tester on the metal hinge on the locker door, at this point I got a continuous beep from my tester, as I said I’m not an electrician, but, Im not sure if this is correct, can any one tell me what it might signify, I’d like to know before it goes into the service shop so that I’m not blinded by science.  Any advice would be welcomed, thanks in advance.

johnnyboy

It depends what range you set your test meter on but a beep normally indicates electrical continuity, not a voltage.  Was the caravan connected to the mains at the time?

My advice is NOT to use an electrical tester unless you really know what you're testing. You risk getting electrocuted - with the short stabby little things!

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

If the caravan is plugged in, somewhere like at home, the earth in the house can float some volts above "true" earth, (without going into technicalities it depends on the type of supply going into the house). 

This is why caravan hookup points are connected to earth electrodes around the site, usually by the hookup bollards, rather than the earth of the incoming supply to the site.

If there is a voltage difference between the earth connected to the caravan and the actual ground beneath, if the caravan is insulated from the ground by things like tyres and jackpads under the steadies, then, when you make contact between the metalwork of the caravan and the ground, the voltage will pass through you giving you, a normally harmless, small shock.

If the caravan is connected to an earth electrode then any voltage difference routes that way and nothing passes through you.

Edited by bspks

Tell the workshop of your concerns.

Don't worry about being "blinded by science" , there is nothing else you can do.

Whatever you do, DONT go sticking pointy things in places !!!!!!!

• I agree completely 1

19 hours ago, Johnnyboy1 said:

johnnyboy

The hinge on the locker door is not earthed so I am surprised that you got any sort of reading?  Aluminium is not very conductive in comparison to silver or copper.    You would need to have the negative (black) lead on the negative side of the battery in order to get any sort of reading.   Static can give you quite a belt in hot and dry weather.  I have seen sparks jump from my key to the car body even though the key has been nearly an inch away.

Aluminium is quite good as a conductor - it has almost 60% of the conductivity of copper!  Anyway, if you got a shock with dry hands and shoes on, someone else, in bare feet and sweaty hands could get a much bigger shock.  Please disconnect the caravan from the mains until it has been checked by a competent person.

Johnnyboy - we all have to learn and a multimeter is an essential bit of kit around car and van. The meter should have come with an instruction book, so might be as well to read up before taking risks..

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, van sorted no more shocks still no idea

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:20, WispMan said:

My advice is NOT to use an electrical tester unless you really know what you're testing. You risk getting electrocuted - with the short stabby little things!

Or as I once did, welding them to a rail in a tube TV I was tinkering with.