Sign in to follow this  
Audrey courthampton

Lost set of keys

I have lost my caravan keys, may have locked them in the van but not sure so don’t really want to break a window, could I get a set if I provided the CRiS no

Doubt it! If you contact the caravan manufacturer with your caravans VIN number they MAY be able to tell you the key type and number, or possibly supply you with a new set. 

When you get sorted be sure to have a spare one made, and DONT leave it home when you go off travelling. 

There is a way of getting in that doesn’t damage a window (usually!) I have no intention of describing how to here, but PM me for a contact number and I will try and Talk you through it.

Andy

sorry I can't help with your keys. Is it a full set or can you open a locker for someone to get in? 

How do you lock keys inside a van?  Every van I have seen, the only way to lock the door is via the internal handle /lever or via the outside key hole, using the key   

Not trying to be clever, genuinely intrigued 

• Like 1
  • +1 3

Posted (edited)

For security reason providing the manufacturer or the dealer with the CRiS or vin number they will not give you information about keys, that is a fact from my own experience. only way to get in the caravan is through one of the hatch by forcing it open or by opening one of the  window which is easy enough with a ruler, other alternative is to take the caravan to a dealer they may have a master key to open the door.

Edited by oldboy

Twice, I have found 'lost' keys in the lining of a coat and once in the lining of a handbag (not mine)  pockets get holed.........

My American wife has never understood 'putting a Yale latch on the snib'.  So I pulled the back door shut behind me one day when we were taking the dog out for a pee.  It was 6am, raining and we were in PJs and dressing gowns.  Apparently, it was my fault.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, oldboy said:

only way to get in the caravan is through one of the hatch by forcing it open or by opening one of the  window which is easy enough with a ruler, other alternative is to take the caravan to a dealer they may have a master key to open the door.

Cracking idea, detail on a public forum how to break in!!

See post #2 :rolleyes:

Andy

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Cracking idea, detail on a public forum how to break in!!

See post #2 :rolleyes:

Andy

Come on Andy, breaking in has been happening long before forum was invented, the low life don't need forum to teach them how to break in.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

3 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

How do you lock keys inside a van?  Every van I have seen, the only way to lock the door is via the internal handle /lever or via the outside key hole, using the key   

That was my first thought. To lock keys in a caravan, surely you need a second set outside?

Do wonder if the keys ARE in the caravan or hiding somewhere ?

On 31/07/2019 at 17:03, Lost in the wilderness said:

Put the keys down in the van.  Open the door. Put the snib up on the lock.  Go outside and give the door a good slam shut.  That'll probably do it.

• +1 1

On 31/07/2019 at 20:22, ericfield said:

That was my first thought. To lock keys in a caravan, surely you need a second set outside?

It can be done! A driver delivered a new caravan to the dealership that I use and was panicking because that is exactly what had happened. Paperwork and keys in kitchen sink/ I told him not to worry as service department would take a minute to retrieve keys. 

Does your supplying dealer have a record of the key number(s)?

If it is an older caravan with one of the standard WD key numbers your dealer will have a full set for you to try one by one.

I'm always frightened of loosing mine so I have the main original set, my wife the secondary supplied set and in the car a third set I bought on Ebay.  The first two sets also have hitch lock and wheel clamp keys, I guess I should get duplicates of those for the car set. :-) 

My local locksmith reckons he can overcome any mechanism in a few minutes 

Breakdown car cover includes something about lost keys would they deal with a caravan when out?

19 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Breakdown car cover includes something about lost keys would they deal with a caravan when out?

No, the breakdown cover is just that, a breakdown, not a lost key.

As has been said before, surely you need the key to lock yourself out?

As I travel alone, I am very careful about losing my keys when away.

Car, van and wheel lock keys all are on a loop around my neck at all times, unless I'm in the car (in the ignition) or in the van (hanging on a hook by the door).

Having had a loop become undone once, nearly leading to loss of them all, I now put a few stitches in the knot of the loop!

6 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I am very careful about losing my keys when away

I'm the opposite! :D

• Haha 1

On 31/07/2019 at 15:47, Audrey courthampton said:

I have lost my caravan keys, may have locked them in the van but not sure so don’t really want to break a window, could I get a set if I provided the CRiS no

So, what's the outcome then ?

She hasn't visited the forum since posting.  Well, at least not logged in.

16 minutes ago, joanie said:

So, what's the outcome then ?

She's still locked out.

• Haha 1

Audrey,

Advice regarding instances like this can be found HERE under the heading of SECURITY

Hope it helps for the future

probably  too embarrassed,  lost my car keys on site once, I had everyone looking for them  including 3 wardens. I found them in a fleece in the wardrobe that I hadn't worn for months , then I had to go around thanking and apologising to them all, yeah, I was truly embarrassed that time, but aren't people wonderful .

You were wonderful too, to go around apologising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mayday cover lost keys! Just read it on an advert for Mayday!

• Like 1