Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

Rear Marker Boards

The above are compulsory in Spain if your rig is over 12 metres, ( mine is 6" has  over 12 metres ) anyone been stopped by the Spanish Police and had a ticking off or been booked and fined for not having them, I have been loathe to use them, although I do have a pair in the boot of the car. Since being booked for speeding in May this year I am of the opinion that most European Police forces are out to get us Brits

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

anyone been stopped by the Spanish Police and had a ticking off or been booked and fined for not having them,

My guess would be No!   That guess is based on having stayed for four months each year on a Spanish site, pitched close to the exit.   I am always amazed at the number of obviously longer than 12 mtr outfits who dont have marker boards.

I do Spain regular but just under 12mts   Freelander 4.5mts and Coachman 575 VIP 7.43mts very close, however on the occassions when Poilce are on duty at the Spanish border they have a good look at the back of the van.

A mate of mine has a photo copy in his glove box with his dimensions from his cara and caravan handbooks to give to Police should he be stopped that seems a good idea.

When and if we come out of the EU I bet they will ramp up the process it easy for a 1000 euros fine.

Richard

Have been told by long units without boards that they'd been stopped and measured. Stories of fines & hassle & extra checks.  Roadside  checks by Guardia.

Understand that twin axles more prone as very likely over 12m.

We are 12.3m single axle but have fitted for what its worth. 

2 minutes ago, montesa said:

Have been told by long units without boards that they'd been stopped and measured. Stories of fines & hassle & extra checks.  Roadside  checks by Guardia.

Understand that twin axles more prone as very likely over 12m.

We are 12.3m single axle but have fitted for what its worth. 

Our total length is 12.11 metres,  Car= 4.92, Van = 7.19   Totals 4.33 inches excess, a tiny amount but nevertheless more than 12 metres

Ditto just over, but over, so ....

I think what Montesa has said about twin wheelers is correct Spanish Plod will know they are over 12 mts so its an easy pull for them.

Which sites do you guys  use in Spain, we tend to go on L`amfora, Bonterra and Calpe Mar mainly but would be interested on any others especially with unlimited electric.  

Richard

We have the rear marker boards fitted and leave them on permanently.  Never been stopped in France or the UK.

Rear reflectors.jpg

My only gripe on marker boards is that they do not look very pretty, I may attach mine with velcro and when arriving back in France take them off  as we only travel about 50 miles from the French/Spanish border   

My outfit is almost 13m, been camping in Spain for over 20 years (I’m here in 🇪🇸 now), never bothered.

I’m on a large site, 70% Dutch, 20% German, 10% everyone else, nobody has marker boards (or wheel locks) except for a solitary British family 🇬🇧 lol

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

My only gripe on marker boards is that they do not look very pretty, I may attach mine with velcro and when arriving back in France take them off  as we only travel about 50 miles from the French/Spanish border   

L’Estartit is it? I often cycle out that way, Laguna to El Delfin Verde and back, 96 Km.

3 hours ago, Les Medes said:

We use the Command strips so can remove the marker boards quite easily and they can be reused.

I think it was you Durbanite that put me onto Command strips last year. Very canny sticky strips.

The idea of the marker boards is to show that the vehicle is an HGV, it’s just that by sloppy wording of the regulation caravans get “caught” by the same regulation.

Its a well known requirement in Spain, you may get away with not having them for years, or you may get stopped and fined on your very first trip.

Personally I would buy a set and fit them, much cheaper than the fine (and less hassle)

Andy

• +1 1

6 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My outfit is almost 13m, been camping in Spain for over 20 years (I’m here in 🇪🇸 now), never bothered.

I’m on a large site, 70% Dutch, 20% German, 10% everyone else, nobody has marker boards (or wheel locks) except for a solitary British family 🇬🇧 lol

L’Estartit is it? I often cycle out that way, Laguna to El Delfin Verde and back, 96 Km.

Spot on Borussia, can't wait to get there, but having a week in Loupian near Beziers before

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We use the Command strips so can remove the marker boards quite easily and they can be reused.

Did you get them from Amazon and what size, seems like a good idea Durbanite, Thanks for the tip

12 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Spot on Borussia, can't wait to get there, but having a week in Loupian near Beziers before

Did you get them from Amazon and what size, seems like a good idea Durbanite, Thanks for the tip

We bought the Marker plates via the CMC and stupidly ordered the sticky tape and used it once.  What a palaver to get the tape and the marks off the caravan.  We then bought the Command Tales from Amazon and have not looked back.  As Mr Plod states rather safe than sorry.  If we are out of the EU, maybe EU traffic officials may get a bit stricter with Brit registered vehicles?

Thanks Durbanite, I bought Command Strips from Homebase today ready now for Spain in three weeks

11 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Thanks Durbanite, I bought Command Strips from Homebase today ready now for Spain in three weeks

Went cycling yesterday and part of my route was around 10 Km on the main road into L’Escala, I was overtaken by many large outfits non of which had rear markers. 

You will have also noticed around L’Estartit that people who leave their caravans here all year on local storage sites and then have them delivered (usually towed by old Shoguns or Landcruisers) don’t have marker boards either.

43 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Went cycling yesterday and part of my route was around 10 Km on the main road into L’Escala, I was overtaken by many large outfits non of which had rear markers. 

You will have also noticed around L’Estartit that people who leave their caravans here all year on local storage sites and then have them delivered (usually towed by old Shoguns or Landcruisers) don’t have marker boards either.

Still does not make it right and acceptable!

59 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Still does not make it right and acceptable!

Maybe not but not having them is certainly the ‘norm’

I don’t think the Spanish police are targeting Brits though, it’s just that a lot of UK caravans are on a TA chassis and although they aren’t any longer than non-UK caravans on a SA chassis they give the illusion of being longer or that the Spanish Police assume they will be over 13m because 99% of non-UK units on a TA would be.

24 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Spanish Police assume they will be over 13m because 99% of non-UK units on a TA would be.

The regulation cuts in at 12m+ Not 13m

Andy

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

They are local, so will get away with it, we are thinking long and hard about storing down there for about 400 Euro p a with the van washed and taken  and collected from our pitch, but I have seen a few of the storage people not slowing down over the many "sleeping policemen" with the van airborne, puts us off, however we may look at an old van in the UK or buy out there, time will tell, we are not rushing into anything.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

They are local, so will get away with it, we are thinking long and hard about storing down there for about 400 Euro p a with the van washed and taken  and collected from our pitch, but I have seen a few of the storage people not slowing down over the many "sleeping policemen" with the van airborne, puts us off, however we may look at an old van in the UK or buy out there, time will tell, we are not rushing into anything.  

Yes, I agree, we’ve seen many caravans being delivered on site by crazy Catalan delivery men, not sure I’d want to leave my pride and joy in their ‘safe’ hands.

In a few years time when our in-laws aren’t up to it anymore we’re having their Phoenix Motorhome so we may leave our caravan here then.

31 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The regulation cuts in at 12m+ Not 13m

Andy

Sorry yes 12m you’re correct, I had 13m in my head because that’s how long our combination is.

Edited by Borussia 1900

5 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Yes, I agree, we’ve seen many caravans being delivered on site by crazy Catalan delivery men, not sure I’d want to leave my pride and joy in their ‘safe’ hands.

In a few years time when our in-laws aren’t up to it anymore we’re having their Phoenix Motorhome so we may leave our caravan here then.

Sorry yes 12m you’re correct, I had 13m in my head because that’s how long out combination is.

Funny that you should mention Motorhome, that's an option that has crossed my mind, storing the van, and using a small M/home to travel down and then using the M/home to explore further afield, such as  further south and the Pyrenees, for a few days each trip, we would also travel to Catalonia three time per year rather than twice  and then have M/home to have the odd weekend (Monday to Friday) in the Uk

19 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Funny that you should mention Motorhome, that's an option that has crossed my mind, storing the van, and using a small M/home to travel down and then using the M/home to explore further afield, such as  further south and the Pyrenees, for a few days each trip, we would also travel to Catalonia three time per year rather than twice  and then have M/home to have the odd weekend (Monday to Friday) in the Uk

If you’re retired or have more holidays than Soft Mick (like my wife) I think Motorhomes make sense but at the moment I don’t get enough time off to warrant buying one so I’ll wait until the in-laws give us theirs.