Mr Plodd

Grayston spring assisters, anyone tried them????

Looking at beefing up the rear suspension on my Mazda 6 estate because it has a pretty long overhang and the rear sags a bit when hitched up :(

I looked at the "mad" springs and nearly choked when I saw the cost :o Nearly three hundred quid!!!!!!!

So after a bit of "googling" I cam across the below items. Has anyone any experience of them? If not I am tempted to give 'em a go at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grayston-GE14-26-Spring-Assister-x/dp/B004NCCZUE

Thanks in advance

Andy 

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Looking at beefing up the rear suspension on my Mazda 6 estate because it has a pretty long overhang and the rear sags a bit when hitched up :(

I looked at the "mad" springs and nearly choked when I saw the cost :o Nearly three hundred quid!!!!!!!

So after a bit of "googling" I cam across the below items. Has anyone any experience of them? If not I am tempted to give 'em a go at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grayston-GE14-26-Spring-Assister-x/dp/B004NCCZUE

Thanks in advance

Andy 

I used them years ago on a FIAT Tipo 1.4. Very successful with two kids in the back plus luggage and caravan.

Too successful without the kids, ended up with the caravan nose high and unstable, taking them off fixed it.

Ive used them on my Nissan Terrano for the past 6 years. They are a relatively cheap answer to sagging rear suspension, & easy to fit, but are not without their drawbacks.

a, They do not have any effect until some suspension movement has taken place, but this does not seem to detract from their over-all effectiveness.

b, They stiffen-up the bump-stop, under load,  & therefore give a slightly harder ride (as do most, if not all, devices).

c,  The increase in forward to rear pitching is quite noticeable.

d, on the plus side there is nothing to go wrong!

Having said that they are very effective for the price paid & I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Is it sitting low  or bouncing and the shocks need uprating ?

Dave

• Like 1

Had them on two Ford's and three Peugeots....excellent but they do alter handling a little.

Geoff

I've used them successfully on a number of cars in the past. The last time I used them was on a Vauxhall Insignia Tourer and they worked really well. It didn't change the feel of the car until the caravan was attached or we had a heavy load in the rear. Make sure you get the right size.

I have had a pair of these on my Rav4 for 9 years now and have worked a treat. They lifted my tow bar up about an inch but when my van is attached the tow ball drops about inch back to where it was without the caravan attached. For the price this is a good way to start. 

Bonne Chance

I haven't used the Grayston type of assister but I have used the MAD auxilliary springs on an Astra saloon with long overhang and they worked very well.

I guess you get what you pay for.

• +1 1

Thank you to all who have made the effort to respond, your replies have pretty much reflected the thoughts I have had. I don’t particularly want to raise the back of my car, just stop the caravan from causing too much sag (and yes I have checked my noseweight is correct) I am off to North Wales at the weekend so I might just buy a set and see how they perform on that trip.

They are not exactly expensive items (unlike the Mad springs set up)  so probably ”worth a punt” 

I will I’ll report back on my findings! 

Andy

FYI Grayson also make progressive auxiliary spring assisters (same design as MAD).  They are a bit cheaper than MAD and I fitted some to a Mitsubishi Outlander (made a big difference).

Mark.

I fitted the cheaper type to our Honda CRV.

Brilliant value for money, the rig looks very level when parked and there is a little less bounce.

When you fit them, just follow the instructions - get them very hot (I wore work gloves) and use lots of soap liquid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Markt1891 said:

FYI Grayson also make progressive auxiliary spring assisters (same design as MAD).  They are a bit cheaper than MAD and I fitted some to a Mitsubishi Outlander (made a big difference).

Mark.

+1

We bought a 2004 Octavia in 2006 that was the end of the Mk1 so had all the extras as standard. One thing it did have was 205/55 tyres which being low profile gave a harder ride so they fitted softer rear springs. Ball weight 70Kg max but when I hitched up the ball went down and the front suspension went up!

I got a pair of the Grayston auxilliary springs (they fit inside the existing rear coil springs) - about £66 in those days compared with about £90 for the Madd - but they were very easy to fit* and boy did they do the job. In fact it actually made the Octy running solo handle as IMO it should have done in the first place.

*Well, a bit over an hour for the first including three calls to Grayston customer support: the second took 20 mins from jack up to jack down, really that easy.

Edited by Woodentop

Right!

The Grayson type rubber inserts arrived in the post this morning so, whilst allowing them to soak in some hot water (it makes them more pliable and easier to fit), I measured the current ride height to see what difference, if any, they would make when fitted. 

Jacked the car up and got on with fitting them. A very simple process indeed. Car was lowered back down and I went for quick trip around the block to settle everything down. When I re-measured the ride height it has increased by just 12mm. If I hadn’t measured it first I would be unable to see any difference by looking at the car.

I then took it for it for a trip of a good few miles. I was unable to detect  any difference to the ride quality That didn’t surprise me too much because the car is usually running with just a driver and front seat passenger so there is no real loading on the rear suspension. It’s the sportnav version anyway so the suspension is probably a bit stiffer to start with. The ride didn’t feel any stiffer and neither did I notice any fore and aft pitching (which someone did mention earlier) The vehicle dynamics of course might well change once I have the caravan hanging off the back!  

So in summary it’s a case of “so far so good” at the moment.

I am off to North Wales at the weekend to see my (currently just three day old) latest granddaughter (with the caravan) It’s a round trip of some 600 miles so should be a pretty fair test. I shall report back in about 10 days time with my thoughts.

As I said earlier at less than twenty quid it’s worth a punt and others do seem, on the whole, to be  pretty happy with them. Time, as the saying goes, will tell, watch this space (thread??) 

Andy

Has their fitment made any difference to your insurance premiums?  (Suspension modification).

2 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Has their fitment made any difference to your insurance premiums?  (Suspension modification).

Didn't with any of mine.

geoff

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Rodders53 said:

Nope! Because it’s not a performance related modification.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Many cars have coils springs which are formed from tapered bar so that the top section of the spring is stiffer than the lower section. Ford called it "progressive". When the rubber doughnuts are inserted they are in the upper section, so the lower section resistance is not changed, but the suspension will have greater resistance when the upper section is loaded. I fitted them to my last few company cars before retiring and even fitted them to my Jeep. The current tow car is fine without them. I think they are a great idea for tow cars. 

• Thanks 1

The instructions that came with mine specifically say to fit them in the middle of the springs, but of course being “universal” they have no way of knowing what vehicle they are being fitted to. 

Andy

Well, after 125 miles of mixed roads from home to Tewkesbury I can report that the difference is truly amazing! The van now tows level, it was very noticeably  “nose down”  before, there is much less wandering and the fuel consumption average has improved by about 1.5 miles per gallon. I put that down to the van now being level so is presenting slightly less frontal area to the airflow.

So I am very pleased with the result and consider it to have been £20 very well spent!

Andy

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well, after 125 miles of mixed roads from home to Tewkesbury I can report that the difference is truly amazing! The van now tows level, it was very noticeably  “nose down”  before, there is much less wandering and the fuel consumption average has improved by about 1.5 miles per gallon. I put that down to the van now being level so is presenting slightly less frontal area to the airflow.

So I am very pleased with the result and consider it to have been £20 very well spent!

Andy

:Thankyou: for the feedback and your happy with the results. Happy towing.