Sign in to follow this  
knockerhero

Thetford fridge not cooling enough

Hi everyone.

i have a thetford fridge that doesn’t seem to be cooling enough.  I have had the van on 240 for 2 days now and the fridge only gets slightly cool even though on highest setting ( I have digital interface on front).

can anyone suggest anything I can test.  The fridge light is fine, the freezer is quite cold.  I have taken the vents off at back and top of fridge is very hot.  

Everythning seems to to be working apart from fridge getting cold.  

Is there a way of testing the thermostat?

i am travelling to France on Thursday for 2 weeks so any help much appreciated.

matt

A couple of thoughts.

Quite a few caravan fridges actually work via the fins at the back of the freezer compartment providing the cooling effect for the whole thing. You say the freezer is cool, is it able to freeze water? Is there anything blocking air circulation from the fins to the rest of the cabinet?

Some fridges have a thermostat on a wire that clips to the freezer fins. It's easily knocked of and easily reclipped back in place.

Absorption fridges usually work fine in their ambient temp comfort zone (circa 5 to 30 degrees) Outside of those temps they can be temperamental and experienced Continental caravanners often fit small fans behind the fridge to speed heat transfer through the vent grilles.

Absorption fridges do not work well if they're not level. If your van is on a drive that slopes this may be causing refrigerant circulation problems. Contrary to what some folk think, such problems occur no matter what power mode is used.

• +1 1

does it work on gas?. If so then it could be the electric element thats kaput

Sounds to me like the heating element is working OK, but that the hot air is not escaping through the rear vents adequately.  With the recent high ambient temperatures this may be 'normal' for your install?  Check if it's been installed correctly as per the Thetford manual for your model?   Many  don't fit the rear air deflectors correctly (Swift included)?

Extra computer type 12V fans are often fitted by some on here to assist air flow.  Especially when using caravans abroad.

Fridges always seem to work better when there is a mass of stuff the fridge inside to act as a thermal buffer/store.  You will need to use a thermometer to check actual temperatures in the two compartments, rather than guesstimating it by 'feel'.

You fixed your gas operation issue last year, so I suspect it's all down to the recent high temperatures?

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/130058-thetford-fridge-not-working-on-gas/?tab=comments#comment-1572610

Hi everyone.  Bit of an update

1- element tested and working fine

2- thermister tested and working fine

3- freezer now working great and everything frozen

4- fridge still not getting cold

Does anyone have ideas what this could be? I am really confused the freezer is working but not the fridge.

Thanks

Check the door seal. Darken the caravan as much as you can. Put a torch inside the fridge and switch it on. Close the door.  Can you see the light? If so, seal not great. If you dont have a torch, get a piece of paper and place it half in and half out of the fridge. Shut the door. Can you pull the paper easily (seal ineffiective) or is it a tight struggle?

Cheers

Russ

I'd give it a try on gas only to test things.

Gas is much superior.