Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

Hi, I am new to this, I have been caravaning well over 30 years with no problems with vans, I finally 

decided to purchase a new Quattro EW when using for first time the locker lock barrels all came out with key

this does not fill me with confidence, anyone else had similar issues with these vans or am I just unlucky.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Take it straight back to the dealer as obviously they never did a proper PDI before delivery.

Make a proper snagging list first to deny them excuses for missing anything. 

• I agree completely 1

It is back with the dealer, I only used for two nights beginning of July, took it straight back, and have not seen it since as the lock barrels are on back order, which they say is code for a build issue, which is why I wondered if any one else has had problems,

this doesn't ring true to me as it's not like it's a special lock is it? I would get in touch with your dealer again saying how disappointed you are that it  was not picked up before hand. You can be mannerly without being a pushover.

• Thanks 1

On our 2016 Challenger we had the same problem with the lock barrel coming out with the key on the battery locker, apparently there is a small plastic retaining clip that snaps. Our dealer was really good and sourced a new door quickly (I actually think that might have nicked one from a stock van) and changed the barrels over so I didn’t have another key. After that no problems for the year or so we kept the van.

make sure they either change your barrel over or supply all new barrels for the other lockers else your end up with a whole host of keys.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

My Swift lock jammed and would not lock, so was open in the storage compound. The response from Swift was that it takes 6 weeks to get the parts from Hartal to the dealer. This was on a Challenger.

This is a known problem affecting not everyone but enough to make supply of replacements a bit of a wait, they fail at random and wouldn't have been picked up during a PDI. We have had lots of Swifts and the quality is no worse than others.

• Haha 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• 4 weeks later...

As a quick update, the locks were replaced, have used van for a pleasant week and nothing seems to be wrong, just waiting now for the leaks to start if it follows the last two new swifts I have had in last 10 years!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Only just found this thread.

As GaryB1969 says it is a known problem.

We had the same happen on our Basecamp door barrel when locking up on the storage site. Went to the dealer with the broken barrel and they immediately produced a replacement that I fitted myself (had a different key to the rest of the locks though.)

Next it was the door handle that broke when we arrived at a site, had to break in then bodge a repair until we could book into the dealers for a proper repair. The whole door lock was replaced and once again all our locks use the same key.

On 28/07/2019 at 10:44, Durbanite said:

I wonder how quick the locks would arrive if you formally rejected the caravan as it will still be within the 30 period.

Good luck with that one, the fault is insufficiency material enough to allow you to do that.

We have seen rulings where the cost of repair is minuscule and the Financial Ombudsman has rejected the consumers right to reject.

We have also seen a ruling whereby the purchaser specifically asked and was told the cars ICE played home burned CD’s as well as commercially produced ones. On taking delivery the purchaser tried a CD sent to him for review and the player spat it out as unreadable.

The dealer refused to accept the rejection, the FoS agreed with the finance company and upheld the rejection as it was a specific requirement as part of the agreement to make the purchase.

It is only when reading these threads that you realise that perhaps caravan manufacturing has reached the bottom of cost cutting, my old Abbeys that I used to have never suffered any failure or damp issues and were built like a tank, this is definitely my last new van as the worry of what will go wrong next ain't worth the hassle.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I love our 2019 Swift Elegance 560.

The design of the structure, layout, materials and even colour schemes are very good (apart from cheap looking brown quilted graphics which we have changed).

The build quality is shocking!

I won't just blame the assembly line workers, which would be easy. I have to blame the management of the assembly line.

The number of fixings loose or simply missing is bad enough, but tomorrow I am towing my van back to the dealer to assess what can be done about the fact that the toilet was installed with no attempt to make it line up with the cassette removal hatch or to be level. While there they can look at the kitchen work top which has worked its way completely loose. A cursory inspection revealed, you guessed it, multiple fixings missing. Not missing as in screws fallen out, but screws never installed in the first place. Grrrr!

See pictures.

To be fair to our dealer we didn't spot the toilet issue either until our first outing when I had difficulty wriggling the cassette out. Then when you look at the flush tank cover from the inside the poor install is obvious.

It's one of those things that isn't instantly obvious, but once seen can't be unseen!

I wait with interest to see what is done to fix this.

I would be interested to see if Swift will respond to this as I have put the same post on Swift Talk....

Short term cost cutting = long term sales problems!

Cunningham03.jpg

Cunningham2.jpg

Swift will not normally respond here or on Swift Talk. Their standard response is for you to take it to your dealer for assessment which you have already arranged. Good luck and hope you get a satisfactory fix

Looking at the toilet, the fitter would have known that it was wrong but didn't care!  Not good for Swift.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Dealer took one look at the toilet (see previous post) and agreed to fix it foc on the spot.

Luckily (after several hours) they were able to sort it out so that it now looks as it should and I can get the cassette out without fighting it.

Some good news for a change :D

A claim will be filed by the dealer with Swift.

My Challenger is aptly named - it has been a challenge keeping things from falling off, and it`s awaiting a major damp repair which is costing me the best part of £2K, but I can`t comment further until it`s done - then I`ll give the gory details.

On 30/08/2019 at 19:41, Stephen Brookes said:

It is only when reading these threads that you realise that perhaps caravan manufacturing has reached the bottom of cost cutting, my old Abbeys that I used to have never suffered any failure or damp issues and were built like a tank, this is definitely my last new van as the worry of what will go wrong next ain't worth the hassle.

Stephen, you have my sympathies. Having spent the last 2 1/2 years constantly repairing all manner of faults I would seriously hesitate to buy another new one (or any) because of it. As to the cost cutting having reached the bottom....we still get the air in the tyres free....be grateful LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I agree after buying a new one and experience the build quality, then the monetary loss of off loading it , you have my sympathy 

Our Swift Challenger 480 is over 4 years old and it has been problematic since it was brand new. I took it back with the intention of rejecting it after the first weekend away, but was persuaded to keep it and the dealer would "sort it out". After almost 4 yearsand 36 failures the axle suspension failed and the dealer refused to even consider a warranty claim, I decided to bite the bullet and have a new axle fitted by an Alko service company. Then I realised that the floor/bulkhead /side wall was falling apart. That was fixed by the dealer (I had to reject that repair initially as they had not followed Swift bulitin correctly). The caravan is the worst pile of rubbish we have ever experienced in nearly 50 years of caravanning. It has finshed us completely with caravanning and we will never buy another.

Edited by Ern
  • I agree completely 1

Ern

My 2019 caravan has had a few issues, they type that should never have occurred in the first place such as sing waste pipe connections not assembled correctly causing leaks. Most of the problems i have sorted myself as I can't be bothered to take m caravan back to the dealers, and they only accept/release caravans mid week, and not weekends.

10 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

such as sink waste pipe connections not assembled correctly causing leaks.

One of the most common Swift complaints! I always wrap duct tape round them to help hold them in place. I shouldn’t have to but you only need a drawer full of dishwater once.....

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB