Help!! What size air awning do I need

Hi, 

I’m new to caravinning. 

We just purchased an elddis affinity 540 caravan. I believe I need a size 15 or 1025. 

Ive seen that air awnings are smaller. What size do I have to purchase??  Does it have to be the size of the van or can it be bigger than a porch awning? 

Although you can get some full size air awnings most generally fit in the straight, horizontal, part of the awning rail along the roof of the van. If you measure the straight section that will tell you how big an awning you can fit. We have a Bailey pegasus 462 and use a Kampa air pro 390 grande. It's just under 4 meters long by 3 meters deep. It's a good sized awning. You can fit a smaller one of course to use as a porch. A not very good pic of ours.

John

982BC47F-E6A6-4765-AE16-F8B570E0607D.jpg

Hi,

Welcome to Caravan Talk Forums.

We have owned an Affinity 540 (2016) previously.

You don't state the year your Caravan so could not confirm. Google for the size or ask your dealer or check in the manual or someone will look it up.

For what its worth here's my view rather than a Salesman's ......

There are very basically, as you state, two styles of awning.

1. A full awning that fits the full side of your Caravan and you must have the correct size (length) as you've said. Great for the overall size to use, if you need it or want, very hard to keep warm on colder days and a bigger job to put up, peg out, take down + size and extra weight to handle, transport and store .   Better suited to longer stays, extended family with say inner tent sleep pods, or seasonal type use. 

2. A Porch style (either with air tubes or with fixed poles). Variable lengths & widths and styles. Steel or light carbon poles. Some simple ones do not have skirts at base to prevent drafts & pet escapes. We have a fixed carbon pole type medium size Porch Awning for its lower weight for handling, simplicity, reliability and potential greater stability for noisy windy days and nights.  We have owned for 7 years an Isabella Magnum 340 with carbon poles. Great for weekends or longer. If we do need the extra room we just sit outside or lift or zip out a side.

It can be placed where you want on the Caravan's side,you choose, but but ......  

It is important (and you'll understand when you've used it a few times) to measure up between the windows and doors the distances on your side prior to purchase. This will give you the better or best side width for your caravan . 

NB On our 540, and on our other vans, we would always, and still do, have one side of the Porch Awning crossing over a single window and or also over a single locker door.  Be very aware of this point prior to purchase and your preferences.   

There is no 100% perfect awning in my view. 

My friend has so far owned 10 Porch awnings, including an air awning - sold after 3 trips,  and he is still mumbling. 

• 11 months later...

Looking for advice....

What size air awning do I need for a bailey Orion 450-5 please thanks. 

If you want a full awning then the size will be in the handbook. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

As with all air awnings: beware the unexpected extra weight!

On 06/07/2020 at 16:51, Hay ley said:

Looking for advice....

What size air awning do I need for a bailey Orion 450-5 please thanks. 

Try here for some info

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

38 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

I have an Isabella full awning, and it is getting a bit much for me at my age. So I went looking for an air awning, supposed to be that much easier to errect. The problem was that an air awning of a decent size was that heavy I couldn't pick it up.

My awning weighs 25kg and is the full length of the caravan, a 4mtr air awning is upwards of 30kg. I think that I will stick to the poled awning.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

49 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

From the Kampa brochure:

Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 = 24.8kg (minimum 22.0kg*)

Kampa Rally Pro 390 (Poled) = 23.4kg

On a like for like basis I am not sure there’s much in it in terms of payload weight but... 

...an air awning is heavier to pull through the awning rail but once it is started, not too difficult.  I use a dog lead in the eyelet provided to pull our awning along the rail.  Panels can be zipped out to lighten it if required of course.

*I have no idea what the 2.8kg weight difference is on the air awning.  There is only the one weight quoted for the poled version.

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • 9 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 19:14, Artleknock said:

I have an Isabella full awning, and it is getting a bit much for me at my age. So I went looking for an air awning, supposed to be that much easier to errect. The problem was that an air awning of a decent size was that heavy I couldn't pick it up.

My awning weighs 25kg and is the full length of the caravan, a 4mtr air awning is upwards of 30kg. I think that I will stick to the poled awning.

Being in our 70's, we too were having difficulty putting up  our full Isabella awning so we bought a Vango Varkaia Connect air awning.   It is very heavy so we have re-packed it in several bags so it is easier to handle.    We found putting it up much easier than than our Isabella and didn't have a problem feeding it along the top rail using a dog lead.