Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We have a Dometic loo in our 2018 Coachman VIP 575.

I wish we didn't.

What were they thinking when they designed it?

They had a perfectly good Thetford to copy off!

Slide flap sticks out at the front (inconvenient) and is very difficult to open/close.

Flush pattern is rubbish and irrigates the underside of the seat

The flush filler outside the van is useless (had to buy a funnel with a flexi hose on it)

Can't easily open the cassette flap - the knob is so small and stiff to operate.

- By the way, be careful with the cassette - If you tap one of the wheels on the floor firmly the entire side of the cassette is likely to break out - I saw it happen 2 weeks ago (not to me thankfully!).

I notice that in the 2019 brochure it looks like they have gone back to the Thetford model.

Such a shame - I love the 'van, but this really makes me want to grind my teeth.....

Edited by wozzer
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wozzer said:

We have a Dometic loo in our 2018 Coachman VIP 575.

I wish we didn't.

What were they thinking when they designed it?

They had a perfectly good Thetford to copy off!

Slide flap sticks out at the front (inconvenient) and is very difficult to open/close.

Flush pattern is rubbish and irrigates the underside of the seat

The flush filler outside the van is useless (had to buy a funnel with a flexi hose on it)

Can't easily open the cassette flap - the knob is so small and stiff to operate.

- By the way, be careful with the cassette - If you tap one of the wheels on the floor firmly the entire side of the cassette is likely to break out - I saw it happen 2 weeks ago (not to me thankfully!).

I notice that in the 2019 brochure it looks like they have gone back to the Thetford model.

Such a shame - I love the 'van, but this really makes me want to grind my teeth.....

The 2019 VIP models have Dometic. I am hoping they have reverted back to Thetford toilets for the 2020 model as I will be changing ours. 

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

 

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

The 2019 VIP models have Dometic. I am hoping they have reverted back to Thetford toilets for the 2020 model as I will be changing ours. 

 

Ditto.  I was going to PX my 2015 VIP 520 (with Thetford) for new this autumn.   Have been monitoring the  recurrent themes regarding experiences of Dometic on here, and also owners I have spoken to on sites.  Will be deferring pending a return to Thetford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes your right  my 2018 vip demotic toilet leaks on the way to disposal-point warped lip seal  

Had to have a new flush button because the other one slit

half full light reed switch is faulty

have to lubricant slider all the time 

and no way to empty the flush tank

defiantly lives up to the name crapper 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike89000 said:

Yes your right  my 2018 vip demotic toilet leaks on the way to disposal-point warped lip seal  

Had to have a new flush button because the other one slit

half full light reed switch is faulty

have to lubricant slider all the time 

and no way to empty the flush tank

defiantly lives up to the name crapper 

 

Use the pump to empty the flush into the bowl/cassette.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know

but how hard would it be to put a drain pipe on to know it’s completely drained 

don't care much for the domestic oven as well the fan is on all the time in operation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Use the pump to empty the flush into the bowl/cassette.

I do, but how do you know that the tank is actually empty? How long before that fails?? At least the Thetford has the pipe to help remove the lower part of the tank. A 3 year old could have designed a better toilet. The flush does not cover the bowl, so it needs an extra help from the kettle. Even tried adjusting the outlet nozzle to help, but then it either flows over the back of the loo bowl, or straight into the hole..

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

 

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, frontend said:

Has any one got a good word to say about the dometic toilet I pick up my new  2019 van in a week or so but  feeling I have done wrong in buying a Coachman 

 

I wouldn't be buying, or rejecting, a whole caravan on the basis of the toilet fitment.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2019 at 14:20, kiaboy said:

The flush does not cover the bowl, so it needs an extra help from the kettle.

 

I agree with everyone regarding the very poor Dometic toilet design.  With regards to the flush.  When I got my van I kicked up a fuss about this and eventually got Dometic to supply a more powerful pump which the dealer fitted.   The flush has worked well since.

 

Another down side is the cost of a new seal.  About 4 times that of the Thetford.   And they are hard to find.

 

It is this toilet which makes me believe that some caravan manufacturers do not research the products sufficiently or listen to customer feedback.  If they did they would not keep fitting them.

 

I think Lunar only fitted for a couple of years then went back to Thetford.

 

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frontend said:

Has any one got a good word to say about the dometic toilet I pick up my new  2019 van in a week or so but  feeling I have done wrong in buying a Coachman 

Yes, we had a Thetford toilet in our 2009 Elddis and then a Dometic in our 2014 Buccaneer which we kept for 4 years until this summer when the new Buccaneer arrived which has a Thetford loo again.

Had no problems with the Dometic loo at all over the 4 years BUT, i gave the seal a liberal spray of Thetford toilet seal lubricant (this is just a silicone spray) after EVERY emptying. The slide has a very direct action and works much better when the seal is well lubricated + it preserves the seal which is important both when using and taking the cassette to the emptying point.

You do have to pull and push the slider handle straight in and out keeping it parallel with the floor. I also kept the slide out when not using the caravan (and loo cassette empty of course) to keep the ‘pressure’ off the rubber sealing ring.

The bowl itself is porcelain on the Dometic which i felt made it slightly easier to keep ‘clean’. I do agree that the flush is not quite as efficient as the Thetford flush but tbh we never had an issue with it. I think the Dometic may be a bit taller than the Thetford so may be better for those less agile.

You will be fine with the Dometic toilet imho altho i do feel the Thetford is a better designed product but not a deal breaker.

There is a green plastic ‘saddle’ over the hole in the cassette (its a grey removable plastic lid on the Thetford) which is spring loaded, you can manually pull this back to reveal the ‘hole’ into the tank if needs be plus, like the Thetford, there is a large access hole which can be used for deep cleaning if desired.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a Dometic toilet on our 2015 Lunar Clubman. We had the pump replaced for a more powerful version, but had no issues otherwise.

 

We now have a 2019 Coachman VIP, and thus far.......... (fingers crossed). The flush works well etc., etc. The design of the opening on the Thetford is better (slide sideways rather than pull out), but it’s something you get used to. The cover over the flush unit doesn’t fit as tidily (nor did it on the Lunar) as the Thetford ones, but I wouldn’t let the toilet put you off. After all, you only hear those complaining, not the thousands who are happy.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...