jonply

New Caravan/ Dusseldorf Show/ NEC Show

Hi all, been viewing posts here for a while but this is my first post so I wanted to introduce myself.

I'm a 35 yr old man; I caravan with my cat. I have owned 2 caravan including the one I have now. I have camped in tents before as well.

Been camping most of my life, starting as a boy scout, continuing with my now ex wife when we were together and upgrading to a caravan (a little freedom due to the tow car we had at the time).

I now have a 1995 Swift Cornice 15/2E, which is towed by my current 2015 Honda Crv .

I am looking to buy my first new or nearly new van next year, probably around March/ April I also intend to change the car in March next year so am not limited by the car, which is why I am now looking to decide on van so can make sure tow car is a good match.

I have no issue with size a have full class one (C+E) truck licence and drive for a living. 

I camp on a range of site but often small sites such as cl/cs's so want to avoid 8ft wide vans due to possible access issues, I'm not bothered if single or twin axle but going towards single a little. 

Want a fixed double bed, preferably at rear, washroom etc amidships. I nearly always use my own facilities and often stay on sites with non so need everything in van.   

I caravan all year and try to go away for my days off work (work a 5 on 3 off nights rota) at least once a month.  

I have looked a many British vans in dealerships but am interested in German/ European vans as well.

Has anyone been to the Dusseldorf show thinking of going for a couple of days, via Harwich and Hook of Holland with my caravan and cat.  Likewise has anyone stayed on the onsite campsite it seems best option as can go straight form Hook of Holland to site in evening and be on site for day after.

Any comments or suggestion most appreciated.

Have driven quite a bt in Europe but not with van but not confident in doing so.

Sorry for such a long first post hope I post in correct section otherwise please can the Mod move.

Thanks Jon

2 hours ago, jonply said:

want to avoid 8ft wide vans due to possible access issues,

Welcome Jon......think you will find mainly 8' 'vans at Dusseldorf??

Perhaps our German residents would comment?

geoff

16 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Welcome Jon......think you will find mainly 8' 'vans at Dusseldorf??

Perhaps our German residents would comment?

geoff

Thanks for you reply, you may be correct but believe that some van in their ranges do come as 7'6", would be great to hear from anyone who has been or is a German resident.

Jon 

Borrusia will be your man! Send him a PM.

Andy

We used to live across the Road from the Dusseldorf Exhibition Centre so didn't need to use the site. It is an event well worth visiting but to do it properly I think you do need a couple of days. I'm sure you would find something that would suit you

40 minutes ago, Gordon7912 said:

We used to live across the Road from the Dusseldorf Exhibition Centre so didn't need to use the site. It is an event well worth visiting but to do it properly I think you do need a couple of days. I'm sure you would find something that would suit you

Thanks I was thinking of a couple of days, so glad you confirm this. Is Access to the site easy enough for caravan (will be towing with RHD car) Was thinking it would be about 3 hours from Hook of Holland port does this sound about right to you?

Hi, 

The majority of German vans are only 2,30m wide,  only the larger single axle and all the twin axles ones are 2,5m. 95% of German TA caravan’s are over 7m body length so therefore are of no use to you in the UK unless you plan to tow it with something with a GVW in excess of 3500 Kg.

The ‘on-site’ Camping at Düsseldorf  Messe is basically the Messe/Football Arena car park but many folk do indeed stay there, I think you can pre-book through the Messe website.

It is a huge exhibition, I think it’s Europe’s largest and you could easily spend a few days there.

Access is along the A44 Autobahn just before the Airport, it is signposted ‘Messe’ and access is excellent.

Towing from Hook of Holland without any traffic jams will take you 3 1/2 hours.

I live 30 minutes away from the exhibition centre but try to avoid going as I’ll end up buying something 🙈

Access is easy. Living in the city I can't be sure about the time from the Hook but it seems about right as it's autobahn most of the way if I remember correctly.

44 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Hi, 

The majority of German vans are only 2,30m wide,  only the larger single axle and all the twin axles ones are 2,5m. 95% of German TA caravan’s are over 7m body length so therefore are of no use to you in the UK unless you plan to tow it with something with a GVW in excess of 3500 Kg.

The ‘on-site’ Camping at Düsseldorf  Messe is basically the Messe/Football Arena car park but many folk do indeed stay there, I think you can pre-book through the Messe website.

It is a huge exhibition, I think it’s Europe’s largest and you could easily spend a few days there.

Access is along the A44 Autobahn just before the Airport, it is signposted ‘Messe’ and access is excellent.

Towing from Hook of Holland without any traffic jams will take you 3 1/2 hours.

I live 30 minutes away from the exhibition centre but try to avoid going as I’ll end up buying something 🙈

Thanks for the information it's very helpful, I assume many German dealers would be happy to sell for me to take to the uk?

I have been twice and last year again used the "camping" which is in effect a paved field without EHU and some distance from the water supply. Having said that its fine for a couple of days and you really need at least 2. Each major major manufacture has a display on par with an NEC hall to themselves. We concentrated on models available in the UK and afterwards bought a Hobby we had  identified there  from the NEC. After our first trip of 2500 miles to Spain we are more than happy with it but the particular model wouldn't suit you as the showering facilities are emergency only but we dont use them anyway however if you cant find a perfect fit there at Dusseldorf its not been made.

Go and have a great time but take strong shoes.

Posted (edited)

You get cheaper tickets if you are a member of the caravan saloon club. Its free to become a member.

We'd been there twice before looking at motorhomes. Going again this year to look at caravans and accessories

It's massive. First time we tried to have a look at everything and after two days of looking at motorhomes we could not remember anything since we looked at so many. Had to go back the next weekend with a bit more focused approach.

Edited by AndersG

32 minutes ago, jonply said:

Thanks for the information it's very helpful, I assume many German dealers would be happy to sell for me to take to the uk?

The ones where I live do (Mönchengladbach) and they both are at the caravan show. Krings & Joeressen

25 minutes ago, David in Cheshire said:

I have been twice and last year again used the "camping" which is in effect a paved field without EHU and some distance from the water supply. Having said that its fine for a couple of days and you really need at least 2. Each major major manufacture has a display on par with an NEC hall to themselves. We concentrated on models available in the UK and afterwards bought a Hobby we had  identified there  from the NEC. After our first trip of 2500 miles to Spain we are more than happy with it but the particular model wouldn't suit you as the showering facilities are emergency only but we dont use them anyway however if you cant find a perfect fit there at Dusseldorf its not been made.

Go and have a great time but take strong shoes.

Thanks for the advice camping with no facilities if fine for me as often use sites with none and will make sure I keep enough water with me for that 1st drink etc

10 minutes ago, AndersG said:

You get cheaper tickets if you are a member of the caravan saloon club. Its free to become a member.

We'd been there twice before looking at motorhomes. Going again this year to look at caravans and accessories

It's massive. First time we tried to have a look at everything and after two days of looking at motorhomes we could not remember anything since we looked at so many. Had to go back the next weekend with a bit more focused approach.

I have joined the Caravan Saloon club, but thanks for the tip, will try to make my approach and research 1st so I can be focused as I'll only be able to do two days there as with other commitments and travel wont have time for more.

thanks Jon 

2 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The ones where I live do (Mönchengladbach) and they both are at the caravan show. Krings & Joeressen

Thanks will look out for them.

Jon

Before you sign you should keep in mind that there may be tariffs on caravans in case of no deal Brexit. I don't recall any on caravans but the government said they would impose a 10% tariffs on cars. They could impose tariffs on caravans as well if they wanted to.

15 hours ago, AndersG said:

Before you sign you should keep in mind that there may be tariffs on caravans in case of no deal Brexit. I don't recall any on caravans but the government said they would impose a 10% tariffs on cars. They could impose tariffs on caravans as well if they wanted to.

I will do let's hope we soon have some Clarity on these and other 'Brexit' issues.

Jon 

16 hours ago, jonply said:

Thanks for the advice camping with no facilities if fine for me as often use sites with none and will make sure I keep enough water with me for that 1st drink etc

I have joined the Caravan Saloon club, but thanks for the tip, will try to make my approach and research 1st so I can be focused as I'll only be able to do two days there as with other commitments and travel wont have time for more.

thanks Jon 

Thanks will look out for them.

Jon

Be aware that the on-site facility is VERY restricted and you will be, literally,  nose to tail in  lines of units.  Cost appears to be €30 with no reservations available.

See illustration here Caravan site

There is a basic campsite on the opposite side of the river  Camping Lorick or another a few kilometres away  Rhein camping.     Then drive  close to the Messe and get the tram for the last few kms using your entry ticket for free travel to and fro.

6 hours ago, beejay said:

Be aware that the on-site facility is VERY restricted and you will be, literally,  nose to tail in  lines of units.  Cost appears to be €30 with no reservations available.

See illustration here Caravan site

There is a basic campsite on the opposite side of the river  Camping Lorick or another a few kilometres away  Rhein camping.     Then drive  close to the Messe and get the tram for the last few kms using your entry ticket for free travel to and fro.

Thanks will have a look Jon