13 pin car, 7 pin caravan....?

Hi

My car has 13 pin electrics and my 2004 caravan has 7 pin.

Please suggest what I can do or buy to enable full functionality whilst towing?

As you can tell, I am new to caravanning!!

Just buy an adaptor and all should be well. Available at good caravan stores near you.

As above, I bought one of these as a starter to fit my layout then rewired the two caravan cables into a 13 pin plug when I had the time.

20190726_074023.thumb.png.269d772dd4ac2e6401fad4999d251129.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Used mine for 7 years till car changed...very good

.Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

1 hour ago, pattojones said:

Hi

My car has 13 pin electrics and my 2004 caravan has 7 pin.

Please suggest what I can do or buy to enable full functionality whilst towing?

As you can tell, I am new to caravanning!!

Where are you situated? I have an  adaptor  going spare, which you can have for a modest fee.  I am based in S W Lancashire near  Wigan if you wish to pick it up.

If you plan on keeping the caravan I would advise rewiring it to a 13 pin plug. When I changed towcars 10 years ago I wired the car to 13 pin and converted the caravan. It's an easy job and the 13 pin setup is so much more reliable than the 12N+S which invariably needed a jiggle to get it to work.

There are 13 pin plugs with dual cable entry to make it easier. Like this:

https://www.thetoolbox.uk.com/epages/es137744.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137744/Products/MP124B

13 pin towing socket with 12N adaptor.jpg  13 pin towing socket with twin adaptor.jpg

My Volvo has 13 pin electrics so I use one of these for towing a unit with either single or twin electrics.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

11 hours ago, pattojones said:

Single or twin electrics? Please explain.

Single electrics (12N socket) are enough to operate the road lights of a trailer (except for a reversing light).

Twin electrics (12N and 12S sockets) provide additional feeds for supplementary caravan equipment and also provide a feed for reversing lights.

Wiring12N-12S.jpg

12N (12 Volt normal) and 12S (12 Volt supplimentary) 7 pin sockets.

image.png

These are the connections direct from the 13 pin socket.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The supplementary electrics give leisure battery charging and fridge cooling whilst the car engine is running. Also provides ATC in caravan with power if fitted. You will know if your caravan has just one 7 pin plug (black) or two - one black and one grey.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion