Sign in to follow this  
Bobajob63

The self emptying waste water container!!

Posted (edited)

Hi folks, firstly, this is aimed at those of us who tend to ‘wild camp’ but can be equally useful at CLs  with EHU etc depending on whether you have a ditch or an area like a hedge nearby you can use. Secondly, this is not my idea, I simply saw one at a caravan, knew what it was immediately and decided that it was something that would be very useful in the situations I find myself whilst on site.  After all, I’m on holiday- any chore I don’t have to do is a bonus right?? It has allowed me to leave the wastemaster at home and carry a much smaller, lighter unit. I hope you find it useful. 

This is what I did. Taking a 5 litre ‘really useful box’, fit a 12v auto bilge  pump (I bought a SeaFlo model SFBP1-G750-06 capable of 750 gallons per hour off Amazon) inside allowing the ‘exhaust’ to protrude through the box so that a length of flexible pipe can be fixed to it, I have a 5mt length + 2 more with jointer just in case 5 isn’t enough.  You can buy this from any caravan accessory shop - or Amazon and it’s normally black, The electric wires that power the pump should , again, be taken through the side of the box or through the top if you prefer but as it rains, I thought the side would be better. In any case, they should exit the box above the high water line of the box. (You’ll understand further down) The wires can be powered with  any terminals you prefer whether it be spade connectors or torpedo connectors, however, in my case, I decided to run cable from the battery, underneath the van due to fixings already there to support the cable, to a cigarette lighter type socket mounted in an aluminium angle bracket under the van near to where the water from the sinks and shower exits.  The wires on the bilge pump can now be connected to a male connector. It’s just a matter now of pushing the 12v male into the socket under the van to make your connection. My female socket has a rubber cover for when the device is not in use (JACKSONS of Old Arley) The last thing to do is to drill a hole that will take the exhaust grey water pipe- I used flexible pipe- a Y section can be purchased and both outlets taken into one which enters the top of the box making sure the waste water doesn’t spill all over the bilge pump!! There is room for the water to enter the box without touching the bilge pump. You are now ready. As the box fills up, the water reaches it’s high water mark where the float activates and switches the pump on, pumping very efficiently, all the water out into the ditch or under the hedge or wherever you have placed the end of you waste pipe. (If possible, try to go level or slightly downhill with the pipe) As long as water continues to enter the box, the pump will continuously remove it - Result, - no daily emptying of the waste master or whatever.  It’s all taken care of.  A bonus was that  I was able then to run from that power socket to the other side of the van to an identical socket so that my 5 metre strip of high intensity LED awning light can be powered. The  sockets were fused and are able to be switched off from inside the van.  Oh, one last thing. The pump tends to get a bit ‘icky’ after a time but the bottom of the pump comes off and it is really easy to clean all the gunge out ready for your next trip. 

Edited by Bobajob63

Personally I couldn’t be xx*£& to do all of that!

I just drag the waste hog to the emptying point as and when needed, after all I’m holiday so never in any sort of a rush.

Andy

Clever idea though! 

• +1 5

Posted (edited)

Well, I needed to power the awning light as well Mr Plodd so it was no bother. And it’s a permanent fix so should last years.  I am famous (or was famous) for forgetting the wastemaster and finding the area around it soggy!! Not good on a pitch and so.........🤣🤣

Edited by Bobajob63

If on a CL waste pipe is into hedge or ditch.  On a proper site you have no option in many cases except to go to the waste water point.  No big issue and a lot cheaper with no fuss.  :D

• +1 2

Can’t remember the last time I was on a ‘proper site’ 🤣🤣👍🏻

I am at an age that I had better keep active.

• +1 1

Posted (edited)

An increasing number of CLs offer fully serviced pitches - I just run a length of smooth bore hose from the caravan outlets to the drain. I have three lengths, all different, which can be joined together as required with domestic waste fittings.

Edited by Black Grouse

I acknowledge the usefulness of Bobajob63's device (and appreciates his his honesty in that he acknowledges he was not the first to come up with the idea).

Yes, it is very useful for some locations, it's another 'tool in the box' for those who can make use of it, it's something I have kept in mind but so far not found a use for.

:Thankyou: for posting Bobajob63, some may not have heard of this and it is worth noting for the future.

I'm waiting for a solution that is just as simple and effective for the toilet waste :rolleyes:.

John.

• Haha 1

Where and when was the site. Was wondering if you'd seen our van!!!!!!

http://www.caravanramblings.co.uk/?page_id=2174

I think the inspiration for this was being onsite where the darn serviced waste was higher than the out of the van

4 hours ago, Bobajob63 said:

Hi folks, firstly, this is aimed at those of us who tend to ‘wild camp’ but can be equally useful at CLs  with EHU etc depending on whether you have a ditch or an area like a hedge nearby you can use. Secondly, this is not my idea, I simply saw one at a caravan, knew what it was immediately and decided that it was something that would be very useful in the situations I find myself whilst on site.  After all, I’m on holiday- any chore I don’t have to do is a bonus right?? It has allowed me to leave the wastemaster at home and carry a much smaller, lighter unit. I hope you find it useful. 

This is what I did. Taking a 5 litre ‘really useful box’, fit a 12v auto bilge  pump (I bought a SeaFlo model SFBP1-G750-06 capable of 750 gallons per hour off Amazon) inside allowing the ‘exhaust’ to protrude through the box so that a length of flexible pipe can be fixed to it, I have a 5mt length + 2 more with jointer just in case 5 isn’t enough.  You can buy this from any caravan accessory shop - or Amazon and it’s normally black, The electric wires that power the pump should , again, be taken through the side of the box or through the top if you prefer but as it rains, I thought the side would be better. In any case, they should exit the box above the high water line of the box. (You’ll understand further down) The wires can be powered with  any terminals you prefer whether it be spade connectors or torpedo connectors, however, in my case, I decided to run cable from the battery, underneath the van due to fixings already there to support the cable, to a cigarette lighter type socket mounted in an aluminium angle bracket under the van near to where the water from the sinks and shower exits.  The wires on the bilge pump can now be connected to a male connector. It’s just a matter now of pushing the 12v male into the socket under the van to make your connection. My female socket has a rubber cover for when the device is not in use (JACKSONS of Old Arley) The last thing to do is to drill a hole that will take the exhaust grey water pipe- I used flexible pipe- a Y section can be purchased and both outlets taken into one which enters the top of the box making sure the waste water doesn’t spill all over the bilge pump!! There is room for the water to enter the box without touching the bilge pump. You are now ready. As the box fills up, the water reaches it’s high water mark where the float activates and switches the pump on, pumping very efficiently, all the water out into the ditch or under the hedge or wherever you have placed the end of you waste pipe. (If possible, try to go level or slightly downhill with the pipe) As long as water continues to enter the box, the pump will continuously remove it - Result, - no daily emptying of the waste master or whatever.  It’s all taken care of.  A bonus was that  I was able then to run from that power socket to the other side of the van to an identical socket so that my 5 metre strip of high intensity LED awning light can be powered. The  sockets were fused and are able to be switched off from inside the van.  Oh, one last thing. The pump tends to get a bit ‘icky’ after a time but the bottom of the pump comes off and it is really easy to clean all the gunge out ready for your next trip. 

Try this, nice tidy setup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gazechimp-SEAFLO-Shower-750GPH-Bilge/dp/B07K4Y9V3J/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=bilge+pump+sump&qid=1564080208&s=gateway&sr=8-12

AJG

4 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Yep- very neat and tidy as mine is. So much fun making your own though. Also a little cheaper I believe, but never the less, for those who are not up to making their own or who just can’t be bothered- this is a quick solution. Thanks AJG. 

2 hours ago, PandR said:

Where and when was the site. Was wondering if you'd seen our van!!!!!!

http://www.caravanramblings.co.uk/?page_id=2174

I think the inspiration for this was being onsite where the darn serviced waste was higher than the out of the van

I was at Drift Farm Cottages, Cromer near to Felbrigg (non EHU) when I saw the set up.  It really has been a boon to me over the past years.  Have I seen your van? 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

I acknowledge the usefulness of Bobajob63's device (and appreciates his his honesty in that he acknowledges he was not the first to come up with the idea).

Yes, it is very useful for some locations, it's another 'tool in the box' for those who can make use of it, it's something I have kept in mind but so far not found a use for.

:Thankyou: for posting Bobajob63, some may not have heard of this and it is worth noting for the future.

I'm waiting for a solution that is just as simple and effective for the toilet waste :rolleyes:.

John.

Tell you what John, if I come up with one I’ll retire to the Seychelles on the profits! 🤣🤣👍🏻

• Haha 1

Those of us who regularly use rally fields where we can be confident that the pitch will stand empty for some time after we leave will be familiar with the "loose cap" approach, Simply loosen the cap on the wastemaster and use it just as a sediment trap. 

There are many sites in North Yorkshire where the water table is very high and your waste becomes a pollutant....one site,Hutton le Hole,they insist that rally marshalls inspect for drips as Environment Agency visit the field for tests.

Geo free

14 hours ago, Bobajob63 said:

Tell you what John, if I come up with one I’ll retire to the Seychelles on the profits! 🤣🤣👍🏻

Your fortune awaits you, doing that is not too challenging with a good quality marine sewage macerator pump. It should have an easy life with the Lidl pods.

14 hours ago, Bobajob63 said:

Yep- very neat and tidy as mine is. So much fun making your own though. Also a little cheaper I believe, but never the less, for those who are not up to making their own or who just can’t be bothered- this is a quick solution. Thanks AJG. 

I was at Drift Farm Cottages, Cromer near to Felbrigg (non EHU) when I saw the set up.  It really has been a boon to me over the past years.  Have I seen your van? 🤣🤣

No. Not us at Cromer...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

There was a thread on these a few years ago about using them on a service pitch when the slope on the pitch  makes drain  higher than the pipe . The grey water fills the container then is pumped to the drain .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave