Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ed in Dorset

Alde Heating Failure – What would you have done?

Recommended Posts

We have the Alde 3020HE system in our 2018 Lunar Delta caravan.  It failed with the “Overheat Red Fail” error on our first trip away in the spring.  We tried all the remedies listed but nothing would work until 2 days after the failure when the 12v disconnect/reconnect finally got the system working.  Sadly, it failed again with the same problem just 15 minutes later.  We abandoned our trip.

 

When we got home, we called in our service agent.  A few days later he was able to call but when he turned the heating on it worked!  15 minutes later, as he was about to leave it failed again – “Overheat Red Fail”.  He checked all he could – sensors, supply voltage, fluid levels but could find nothing amiss.  He disconnected and took away the sensors and circuit board and returned them to Alde for testing.

 

A week later he returned with replacement sensors and the original circuit board.  They were connected and the system restarted and run for a few minutes.  All seemed well.

 

Fast forward now to July. 300 miles from home on a lovely, but very basic, CL.  Hot water and heating turned on and functioning normally for less than 12 hours when the “Overheat Red Fail” error reappeared.  I was able to borrow a multimeter and checked the sensors, supply voltage etc.  All was well. I contacted the Alde help line and was guided through system checks – nothing amiss.  We struggled on for a couple of days, heating kettles and saucepans for hot water but, guess what; 2 days later I was able to reset the system by disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v supply.  It ran for just 15 minutes before giving up with “Overheat Red Fail”.

 

I decided to purchase a replacement circuit board – the recurring fault suggested a failing electronic component somewhere – the alternative would be to abandon our holiday, again!  I was fairly confident that this was where the problem was since everything else was OK, although the cost at £250.00+ focussed our thinking for a while.  The circuit board was delivered to the site a couple of days later and I was able to fit it by following the clear step by step instructions supplied.  I’m pleased to report that the system started up and then ran “normally” for the remaining 7 days of our holiday.  Problem solved.

 

I had hoped that, given the circumstances, Alde would have been happy to refund the cost of the replacement circuit board despite that the repair was carried out independently by me and without the formality of going through the tedious and time-consuming process of involving an “authorised agent” even though the “formal process” had already failed to identify and correct the fault.  Sadly, their initial response has been to reject my request, quoting warranty conditions.

 

So, I now pursue my claim on the basis of it being fair and reasonable for them to reimburse me, despite T&Cs – after all, what would you have done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would send a detailed letter to the CEO copied to my favourite friendly solicitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ed in Dorset said:

We have the Alde 3020HE system in our 2018 Lunar Delta caravan.  It failed with the “Overheat Red Fail” error on our first trip away in the spring.  We tried all the remedies listed but nothing would work until 2 days after the failure when the 12v disconnect/reconnect finally got the system working.  Sadly, it failed again with the same problem just 15 minutes later.  We abandoned our trip.

 

When we got home, we called in our service agent.  A few days later he was able to call but when he turned the heating on it worked!  15 minutes later, as he was about to leave it failed again – “Overheat Red Fail”.  He checked all he could – sensors, supply voltage, fluid levels but could find nothing amiss.  He disconnected and took away the sensors and circuit board and returned them to Alde for testing.

 

A week later he returned with replacement sensors and the original circuit board.  They were connected and the system restarted and run for a few minutes.  All seemed well.

 

Fast forward now to July. 300 miles from home on a lovely, but very basic, CL.  Hot water and heating turned on and functioning normally for less than 12 hours when the “Overheat Red Fail” error reappeared.  I was able to borrow a multimeter and checked the sensors, supply voltage etc.  All was well. I contacted the Alde help line and was guided through system checks – nothing amiss.  We struggled on for a couple of days, heating kettles and saucepans for hot water but, guess what; 2 days later I was able to reset the system by disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v supply.  It ran for just 15 minutes before giving up with “Overheat Red Fail”.

 

I decided to purchase a replacement circuit board – the recurring fault suggested a failing electronic component somewhere – the alternative would be to abandon our holiday, again!  I was fairly confident that this was where the problem was since everything else was OK, although the cost at £250.00+ focussed our thinking for a while.  The circuit board was delivered to the site a couple of days later and I was able to fit it by following the clear step by step instructions supplied.  I’m pleased to report that the system started up and then ran “normally” for the remaining 7 days of our holiday.  Problem solved.

 

I had hoped that, given the circumstances, Alde would have been happy to refund the cost of the replacement circuit board despite that the repair was carried out independently by me and without the formality of going through the tedious and time-consuming process of involving an “authorised agent” even though the “formal process” had already failed to identify and correct the fault.  Sadly, their initial response has been to reject my request, quoting warranty conditions.

 

So, I now pursue my claim on the basis of it being fair and reasonable for them to reimburse me, despite T&Cs – after all, what would you have done?

Unfortunately you may struggle to get any compensation from the dealer as your contract is with the dealer and not ALDE.  I would have contacted the dealer and got the dealer to do the running around and advise the dealer that if we had to cancel our holiday we would claim from them.  If the caravan was on finance I would have contacted the finance house and advised them.

I assume that the fault occurred within the first 6 months, was repaired and then failed again within 6 months after the original repair?  Time frame regarding repairs is critical here when making any claim from the dealer however I assume you bought the PC board without consulting the dealer first?

If you are going to claim from ALDE you are in for a hiding.  Even claiming from the dealer is going to be difficult as the dealer should have been given the opportunity to do the repair.

BTW although Lunar are in administration it is still the responsibility of the dealer to sort out any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised to say the least as Alde are and have been very good customer focussed company, lets hope they come onto the forum soon and fix your issue and reimburse you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kiaboy said:

Surprised to say the least as Alde are and have been very good customer focussed company, lets hope they come onto the forum soon and fix your issue and reimburse you

Still has to go through the dealer.  It would not surprise me if the original PC board never even went to ALDE and the dealer tested it in another caravan for 2 minutes before sending it back.  OP needs to establish if original PC board was tested by ALDE.  If not, he can send it back to them for testing to prove a point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Still has to go through the dealer.  It would not surprise me if the original PC board never even went to ALDE and the dealer tested it in another caravan for 2 minutes before sending it back.  OP needs to establish if original PC board was tested by ALDE.  If not, he can send it back to them for testing to prove a point.

Agreed.  But I had problems with a battery back up, I never dealt with dealer, went straight through with Alde, they sent out new power cable, but did not cure problem, they then asked for  my control panel to test, they sent a new one out by return while fault finding only to find out it was Coachman's wiring that stopped it from working.

Edited by kiaboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Agreed.  But I had problems with a battery back up, I never dealt with dealer, went straight through with Alde, they sent out new power cable, but did not cure problem, they then asked for  my control panel to test, they sent a new one out by return while fault finding only to find out it was Coachman's wiring that stopped it from working.

We had similar with our previous caravan.  The ALDE load monitor had been wired incorrectly causing issues.  Excessive heat under the offside cushion due to faulty fitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ed in Dorset said:

We have the Alde 3020HE system in our 2018 Lunar Delta caravan.  It failed with the “Overheat Red Fail” error on our first trip away in the spring.  We tried all the remedies listed but nothing would work until 2 days after the failure when the 12v disconnect/reconnect finally got the system working.  Sadly, it failed again with the same problem just 15 minutes later.  We abandoned our trip.

 

When we got home, we called in our service agent.  A few days later he was able to call but when he turned the heating on it worked!  15 minutes later, as he was about to leave it failed again – “Overheat Red Fail”.  He checked all he could – sensors, supply voltage, fluid levels but could find nothing amiss.  He disconnected and took away the sensors and circuit board and returned them to Alde for testing.

 

A week later he returned with replacement sensors and the original circuit board.  They were connected and the system restarted and run for a few minutes.  All seemed well.

 

Fast forward now to July. 300 miles from home on a lovely, but very basic, CL.  Hot water and heating turned on and functioning normally for less than 12 hours when the “Overheat Red Fail” error reappeared.  I was able to borrow a multimeter and checked the sensors, supply voltage etc.  All was well. I contacted the Alde help line and was guided through system checks – nothing amiss.  We struggled on for a couple of days, heating kettles and saucepans for hot water but, guess what; 2 days later I was able to reset the system by disconnecting/reconnecting the 12v supply.  It ran for just 15 minutes before giving up with “Overheat Red Fail”.

 

I decided to purchase a replacement circuit board – the recurring fault suggested a failing electronic component somewhere – the alternative would be to abandon our holiday, again!  I was fairly confident that this was where the problem was since everything else was OK, although the cost at £250.00+ focussed our thinking for a while.  The circuit board was delivered to the site a couple of days later and I was able to fit it by following the clear step by step instructions supplied.  I’m pleased to report that the system started up and then ran “normally” for the remaining 7 days of our holiday.  Problem solved.

 

I had hoped that, given the circumstances, Alde would have been happy to refund the cost of the replacement circuit board despite that the repair was carried out independently by me and without the formality of going through the tedious and time-consuming process of involving an “authorised agent” even though the “formal process” had already failed to identify and correct the fault.  Sadly, their initial response has been to reject my request, quoting warranty conditions.

 

So, I now pursue my claim on the basis of it being fair and reasonable for them to reimburse me, despite T&Cs – after all, what would you have done?

Think I might have swapped the boards over and then returned the faulty one seeking a refund...

Edited by PandR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be pleased that I’d sorted it.

 

And accept the cost. 

 

Although I’m far from wealthy I couldn’t be bothered getting into what will no doubt turn out to be long drawn out discussions with Alde or my dealer. It’d add nothing to my enjoyment of my caravan. 

  • Like 1
  • +1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that most warantees  are no longer valid if you have a go yourself.  Our last 'van was a Lunar and the fridge wouldn't work on the 240v. We had an  engineer come out to fix it when it was in storage and when we went out again it still didn't work so we contacted the dealer and said that we wanted it fixed and so another engineer came to us on site and he did fix it. It was the main board.   I think that you jumped the gun  and now I wouldn't expect Alde to pay you  for the item which has  VAT and a profit margin attached and also of course a DIY job.  Put it down to a lesson learned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...