Sign in to follow this  
The Penno

Fixing an air awning puncture on the go

Hi all,

I've just bought an outdoor revolution 400 air awning, due to various reasons I was only able to test it briefly to make sure it worked before we left for France.

I kinda assumed that after spending a good amount of hard earned cash on an awning that it would work....

So I've been in France 3 days and had to pump up the awning on average 3 times a day. 

Which is annoying. Especially as we're here for another 2 weeks or so.

I've adjusted the pressure release valve and this has done Jack all, so I'm assuming that the awning has a puncture... 😔🤦‍♂️ 

Has anyone successfully repaired a puncture on the go and how on earth did you do it? I've no idea how I'd go about even finding the air leak....

Got to say I'm a bit disappointed with Outdoor revolution as it was sold to me by a reputable dealer who said it was 'quality'. I cant be doing with an awning falling down on me on holiday, so it'll be a refund when we get back to blighty. So will be going back to pole awning I think, but in the meantime does anyone have any advice?

Thanks  in advance 

We’ve an older Outdoor Revolution awning. Does yours have a single inflation point, or several, as ours does? It’s possible that the pressure release valve or dynamic speed valve need tightening in the bladders, there should be a tool in the kit supplied. I had a similar problem with one of our bladders and tightening the valves sorted it.

If if you have multiple inflation points, is the same issue affecting them all?

Given the heat wave reported in France at the moment, could the PRVs be operating due to the heat, needing reinflation as the weather cools in the evening?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fireman Iain said:

We’ve an older Outdoor Revolution awning. Does yours have a single inflation point, or several, as ours does? It’s possible that the pressure release valve or dynamic speed valve need tightening in the bladders, there should be a tool in the kit supplied. I had a similar problem with one of our bladders and tightening the valves sorted it.

If if you have multiple inflation points, is the same issue affecting them all?

Given the heat wave reported in France at the moment, could the PRVs be operating due to the heat, needing reinflation as the weather cools in the evening?

Yeah, so I thought the same about the PRV and the heat (its mid 30s here), however I pumped it up last night at about 10pm when the temp was down to mid / high 20s and it had gone limp by the morning - not flat but certainly bowing to the point where I had to duck to get out and pump it up again.  This makes me think it's not a temp thing as it was cooler overnight and so in theory should still have been rigid....

So from what i can tell it has 1 inflation point with a PrV on the left hand side - which I've tightened, and on the right hand side it had a deflation point with no PRV from what I can tell. 

I'll tighten the PRV again tomorrow but dont want to over tighten it! 

Edited by The Penno

To cover yourself, contact the dealer and make them aware of your issue.  If you do a repair without consulting the dealer, it may invalidate the warranty.  A lot depends on when it was bought.

It would be very useful to include some idea of what, when posting JUST  a link, you are wishing to draw the attention of people! 

Andy

24 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It would be very useful to include some idea of what, when posting JUST  a link, you are wishing to draw the attention of people! 

Andy

Fairly obvious I would think.....

• Like 1

Pure guess, but I think it is hints and tips from Outdoor Revolution. As that is what the link says, but not clicked on it.

• Like 1

The Penno - You have our sympathy.

We had a similar experience in France last year with an unrepairable leak in an air awning.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the 'tubes' or 'beams' are made with plastic tubing similar to that of a cheap beach li-lo - and we all know how long they last!

And if the leak is on a seam then it is impossible to seal with the kits provided.

As soon as we got home the air awning was replaced by a lovely, spacious, full of quality Isabella Capri Coal - a proper awning.

• Like 1