Fireman Iain

Reclining chair suggestions please.

We’ve been using a couple of old camping chairs with no problems. But Kay’s seen some other folk using comfier looking ones. And only mentioned it now we’ve moved sites, so I can’t ask about them. They’re recliners with a fold up footrest if that makes sense. 

A quick Googling brings up a good few options, from cheap, to eye watering. 

I’ve no problem spending a few quid to get her the right one, but have a couple of questions. Which do people recommend, and why? And how bulky are they when stowed? They look much more substantial than the ones we’ve got. Our underbed storage is snug, (Swift 580 layout) with the spare wheel, bbq, camping table and a small toolbox already in there, there’s not much space left. It’d be pointless buying one if they’re too big for the space. 

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Lafuma every time. One of ours is now 20 years old - looking a bit tatty and with new elastics but still as comfortable as ever.

They are fairly heavy however. We have a rear transverse fixed bed; the chairs go in there on top of the table, strapped down via eye bolts through the floor.

Edited by iansoady

We got the Isabella recliners with foot rest that comes separate so you use it as a chair or a full recliner/lounger type thing. Can’t remember the actual model name but have seen them in a few stores for about 90 quid each. We find them very comfortable.

they are a bit clumsy to store, we stand them beside our island bed and use a couple of cushions as packing.

• +1 1

+ 1 for Lafuma, not cheap but you have to fork out for the best

Our friend lives in his van and has a lafuma chair years old. It has the wooden arms I think the new are plastic. It’s his only outside chair and still going strong. He would recommend it.

I guess that's +4 on Lafuma.

If the OP is going across the Channel, there is a Lafuma discount shop at Marques Avenue (or whatever its called these days) near the rail terminal at Calais where most things are sold 30% off or more.

We had a pair of Lafuma relaxers and they were ok, but the canvas eventually got grubby after a couple of sessions of rain.

We next had a pair of Lafuma recliners with waterproof plastic fabric which broke (the plastic hinge mechanisms) and were repaired under warranty, and were not really comfortable, and we still have them for occasional use in the garden at home.

We now have the best for comfort ever, Isabella recliners. Quite large and heavy when folded but they go in the car ok.

We have an Outwell Kenai and a Hi Gear Marquis.

They are both comfy but the Hi Gear is the one we fight over.  However it is slightly larger when folded.  

We tried a few chairs before buying three years ago and £60+ seemed to be what was needed to give something comfy and upright enough to eat at a table but also good for reclining.  The Hi Gear at £50 looks like a real bargain now - I'm sure we paid more and it was the last one they had (hence only buying one).

we keep ours in the car boot for big trips - the Outwell fits flat across the width while the Hi Gear has to go at an angle. On short trips they sometimes go on the floor in the van, between the front seats. Under a bed is just not an option - we don't have any fixed doubles.

Be very aware of what you want it to do - i'm not sure the footrest ones will be good for eating at the table, fore example.

Posted (edited)

We‘ve got Lafuma, had them years. Cheap ones are false economy

Our camping dining chairs are Crespo, very happy with them

Edited by Borussia 1900

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Lafuma every time. One of ours is now 20 years old - looking a bit tatty and with new elastics but still as comfortable as ever.

They are fairly heavy however. We have a rear transverse fixed bed; the chairs go in there on top of the table, strapped down via eye bolts through the floor.

+1

Repairs are not difficult or necessarily expensive. For example, no need to spend oodles on Lafuma bungee cords when you can source cheap and cheerful cord and tie the ends out of sight. Protect the fabric from day 1 with loose covers and, like ours, they will last well into a second decade. 

Edited by MalH
  • +1 1

In-laws have Isabella but they’ve got more money than sense 😂😂

We bought two Lafuma a few years back..they were returned within a month...too heavy and the  frames went pitted...not a good start. We bought a couple of cheap lightweight dealers specials for the price of one Lafuma.

geoff 

Isabella Thor with optional footrests every time.

Accept no substitutes.

:D

• +1 1

1 hour ago, GB1309 said:

Accept no substitutes.

As above. :D

Posted (edited)

we have 2 lafuma, and the bags and towels, but they are heavy! We also have 2 high back recliner chairs with clip on foot stool, which are alloy framed. The Lafuma  and the high back chairs we purchased on separated French holidays. Lafuma from  Le Clerc, in a sale 2 for the UK price of one. The 2 high back's with stool's, from Calais Caravans!

UK trip weather dependant, we may take the Lafuma's. Further afield trips the high backs?

Edited by David P

Thanks for all the comments so far. Having taken them on board and looked at lots of stuff online, we think we’re going to try and call in somewhere on our way home on Sunday that stocks Isabella’s at least, preferably Lafuma’s as well and see if we like them. And then if we can store them in the caravan. 

Does anyone know of somewhere that stocks both, somewhere from Glasgow heading South towards Sheffield. So M74/M6/M61/M60/M67 or M74/A66/A1/M1.  I’m not too clued up on dealers, apart from Preston Caravans, where we bought ours, who look to stock Isabella, but not Lafuma. 

We have 2 canvas Lafuma and also a couple of Towsure own brand.

Both are comfortable, the only real difference is the price.

Have a look at Towsure, they also deliver.

https://www.towsure.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=recliner

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Accept no substitutes.

Ditto. 

Isabella chair

Isabella folding cupboard

Isabella Awnings (X3)

Kampa rally pro 390. Offers circa £50

Edited by PandR

13 hours ago, iansoady said:

I bought two Lafuma Recliners several years ago thinking that they were the best.  Since then I've had an ongoing issue with the elastic cords supporting the fabric fraying and eventually snapping.  The Lafuma replacement is expensive and I now use bungee cord from a DIY outlet.  I've had to renew the cords several times and the chairs are not used all that often.

All in all I don't think the Lafuma chairs are worth the premium price and would not recommend them.

Go outdoors have them in the sale at the moment but I can't remember the make though. 

+ 1 for Lafuma, not cheap but you have to fork out for the best, one thing I forgot to mention was that we had the rope break, what a faff to install a new one

We have Isabella Thors with detachable leg rests.

Have had recliners in the past but prefer the Isabella less bulky arrangement.

• Like 1

Cheaper solution... Choose your standard chair and add two collapsible stool/table (fiver each) - remove the table top and you have a lovely comfortable foot stool...

2 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

Cheaper solution... Choose your standard chair and add two collapsible stool/table (fiver each) - remove the table top and you have a lovely comfortable foot stool...

We have two stools.

When eating, the kids get the big comfy chairs and we get the stools. Later we sit on the chairs, recline then and use the stools to put our feet up.

These Lafuma things don't look all that expensive, same for Isabella to an extent. I expect this a car of the rest of the market catching them up but their reputation persisting with some.