Sign in to follow this  
Fordsabroad

Alaria RI Your thoughts please.

My local dealer has an 2018 Alari RI for sale. Even though Lunar are in trouble I am still attracted to it and it is at an attractive price, My concern is why is a van this new back in the dealership for sale. When I was talking to the sales manager he said "this van has had some teething troubles but what vans don't" This immediately raised some concerns and the first thing that came to mind was is it a rejected van. The dealers is offering a 12 month warranty on it but I have to assume that any manufacturers guarantees will now be void. If I pursued it would it be worth getting an independent inspection done. Is there any way I can find out who the previous owner is? 

Does anyone on this forum own an Alari, If so what are your thoughts on them, they seem to have everything the Buccaneers have but at a more attractive price.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted (edited)

The dealer might be keen to sell the caravan since many would not want it.

Data protection might stop you finding out who had the caravan previously. Previous owners addresses are now removed from car V5C documents for this reason.

Edited by Paul1957

Some Lunar vans had some fairly major “teething problems” with the stargazer roof panels. Personally I’d leave it alone especially since Lunar are no more. 

I hate to be negative but as someone who has had about 10 Lunar caravans over the years I personally think the build quality has been falling short on the last caravans we had. Our 2015 Clubman every trip something happened, our 2017 just was a disappointing. My Brother in Law has a 2016 Delta which has suffered unbelievable floor delamination in one area after another, as well as other water tank problems. Its such a shame the top of the range Lunars were always excellent.

Personally I would proceed with caution, normally when I change a caravan within a year its with good reason, ask if the previous owner would be happy to have a call with you, were it my caravan I would take your call.

If it looks too good to be true then...............

Sound advice from you all - thank you. It would be wise not to let my heart rule my head over this. I will shelve this great idea and if it comes into my mind again I'll take a lie down until it wears off!!!

Those Alaria were selling for more than the Buccaneer range of caravan although it look a lot cheaper.  The furnishings in it made it look quite cheap inside.  The Buccaneers have faults but look like they have been put together a lot better.  BTW a 2018 caravan would still be within the 3 years normal Lunar warranty and also the 6 years damp ingress warranty which is transferable.   I would think the dealer is being a bit sneaky even though Lunar are in administration.

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Those Alaria were selling for more than the Buccaneer range of caravan although it look a lot cheaper.  The furnishings in it made it look quite cheap inside.  The Buccaneers have faults but look like they have been put together a lot better.  BTW a 2018 caravan would still be within the 3 years normal Lunar warranty and also the 6 years damp ingress warranty which is transferable.   I would think the dealer is being a bit sneaky even though Lunar are in administration.

Warranty ? At the moment dealers are not carrying out work because of payments I thought ?

Dave

23 hours ago, Durbanite said:

There is no normal Lunar warranty, not now they're in Administration - the buyer would be dependent on CRA 2015 and any warranty the dealer puts on.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be put off that a van has been traded in/sold at a year old, there are so many reasons why this happens, I had someone wanting to trade in a 19 model with us recently just because they didn't get on with the layout, so don't always assume is because its because of faults/been rejected (though of course that might well be the case)

then in terms of the van itself, the price is the big factor here to whether or not its a viable purchase, taking into consideration some of what has been mentioned above.

Edited by Caravantech
  • Like 1

If I liked the Alaria, which I don't - we have a Delta TI - and saw the caravan you are/were interested in, I would be prepared to make an offer subject to an inspection by a qualified engineer.  If the inspection was OK, I'd expect something like a 30% discount.

We had a 2015 Clubman which was so good we upgraded to a 2016 Delta which we love and plan to keep for many years.  The only minor warranty claim was for some stiff window blinds which were replaced.

We have just purchased a caravan privately, 3rd owner on a 2017 caravan, time for alarm bells to ring.

No.

First owners elderly couple, family ilness forced sale, second owners with 2 teenage kids, van not big enough.

I paid £260.00 for an independant engineer to check van out, before purchase, he was ther for 3.5 hours , thorough check including damp, & van passed with flying colours. I agree get an independant to check, & ask for discount.

I`ve had three Lunars have had very few problems but the problem now is if you should need a Lunar specific spare you maybe unlucky to find it.

On 23/07/2019 at 22:22, Fordsabroad said:

My local dealer has an 2018 Alari RI for sale. Even though Lunar are in trouble I am still attracted to it and it is at an attractive price, My concern is why is a van this new back in the dealership for sale. When I was talking to the sales manager he said "this van has had some teething troubles but what vans don't" This immediately raised some concerns and the first thing that came to mind was is it a rejected van. The dealers is offering a 12 month warranty on it but I have to assume that any manufacturers guarantees will now be void. If I pursued it would it be worth getting an independent inspection done. Is there any way I can find out who the previous owner is? 

Does anyone on this forum own an Alari, If so what are your thoughts on them, they seem to have everything the Buccaneers have but at a more attractive price.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

i have an 2018 alaria ri and it has been supurb .not a single fault ,even after 12 months.sailed through the service checks,i am delighted with it.Kev

• Like 1