Posted (edited)

I'm posting this on behalf of my in-laws as they are not members of this forum.  We are Bailey Pursuit owners and have had little problems with them over the 4 years we've owned them, other than your standard niggles.

They own the 550/4 and have had minor leaking problems that have been sorted during the services.  However, their van has developed a smell in the front area next to the nearside couch, similar to a stagnant drain/sink trap smell.  

They have cleaned and sterilized all sink/shower traps; sterilized all pipe work including the Truma furnace; cleaned it within an inch of its life and the smell still persists.  We have checked all cubby spaces inside and out; underneath seating; on the seating; inside the battery compartment (sometimes a leaking or dodgy battery can give off a smell).  Again, the smell is there.

We just can't seem to locate the source of the pong.  Sometimes it's stronger than other times.  

Our latest amateurish thinking is that water may have gotten in or is getting in between floor paneling and has turned stagnant.  Is this possible?

They've phoned the dealer and they've been as useful as a waterproof teabag. 

Your thoughts and advice as usual, would be greatly appreciated.

Jonny

Edited by Sheltie

If it's a rotten egg smell number one culprit is the battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or damp within the walls. Could be useful to get a full damp test done.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the replies.  Yes I'll get my damp meter out and have a look at the walls.

We stuck our noses in the battery cupboard outside the van and smelt nothing, but it may be a plan to take the battery out and see if the smell goes.

Thanks again.

Jonny

Lift the floor covering if possible and check the floor.

• Thanks 1

The battery would likely only smell when being charged so removing it will eliminate that. You might have done this but have a look in all the vents, under the floor, behind the fridge, behind the oven, front locker, since there might be a dead animal. Put the plugs in the sink/basin, check the drain pipes from them have not become detached. Since the drains do not have a U-bend as in a house, smells can come back from the waste container and also the waste pipes can fill with black mould.

• Thanks 1

If the flooring has signs of “pimples” on it then that is a sure sign of damp between the covering and the floor. 

As has been said if its if it’s a rotten egg type smell then it’s Hydrogen Sulphide and THAT will be coming from the battery. Take the battery out for a few days and see if the pong remains. If it doesn’t you have located the cause.

Keep us posted

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the responses.

We will start by taking the battery out and then go through all your suggestions.

Really appreciated.

Jonny

Hello all.  I thought I'd update you on the bad smell post I started - in the interest of contributing to this fantastic forum and in the hope that it helps others.  

As per my OP,  my in-laws caravan began to stink of drains.  A definite stagnant water smell.

We searched everywhere; my mother-in-law cleaned the thing to an inch of its life (the van is 4 years old).  But still it stank.

My brother-in-law visiting on holiday, was sent for a 3rd opinion.  He thought he'd give the van a proper look over underneath (something we hadn't had time to properly do).  He noticed green algae underneath the bottom lip of the plastic trim on the front of the van.  It has three parts to it - two corner bumpers and a middle panel that is molded onto the triangle tow frame - all three panels mold themselves underneath the van where they are secured with screws.  

He managed to remove the mid panel and found it full with stagnant water that had turned green; he then got access to the corner panels that were even fuller with green algae stagnant water.

The problem was caused by how the van was being stored.  It was kept on a slope to the front of the van (as you do to help water run off the roof), so water going down the back of the panel (which it shouldn't really) was getting trapped in the underneath or bottom part of the panel.  The van sitting for weeks at a time before being moved, was giving the rain water enough time to stagnate and start smelling.

And I mean it smelt.  Inside the front of the van during hot weather trips was horrible.

After a good clean the smell has gone.

Something I would've never thought to check.

Jonny

• Thanks 5

44 minutes ago, Sheltie said:

Hello all.  I thought I'd update you on the bad smell post I started - in the interest of contributing to this fantastic forum and in the hope that it helps others.  

As per my OP,  my in-laws caravan began to stink of drains.  A definite stagnant water smell.

We searched everywhere; my mother-in-law cleaned the thing to an inch of its life (the van is 4 years old).  But still it stank.

My brother-in-law visiting on holiday, was sent for a 3rd opinion.  He thought he'd give the van a proper look over underneath (something we hadn't had time to properly do).  He noticed green algae underneath the bottom lip of the plastic trim on the front of the van.  It has three parts to it - two corner bumpers and a middle panel that is molded onto the triangle tow frame - all three panels mold themselves underneath the van where they are secured with screws.  

He managed to remove the mid panel and found it full with stagnant water that had turned green; he then got access to the corner panels that were even fuller with green algae stagnant water.

The problem was caused by how the van was being stored.  It was kept on a slope to the front of the van (as you do to help water run off the roof), so water going down the back of the panel (which it shouldn't really) was getting trapped in the underneath or bottom part of the panel.  The van sitting for weeks at a time before being moved, was giving the rain water enough time to stagnate and start smelling.

And I mean it smelt.  Inside the front of the van during hot weather trips was horrible.

After a good clean the smell has gone.

Something I would've never thought to check.

Jonny

Well done , good useful response .

• +1 1

Always good to hear ‘outcomes’, especially easy, no cost and positive ones. Thank you for taking the time.

• +1 3

Another “vote of thanks” for updating us all.

Sadly a lot of people come on the forum, post a question which gets lots of replies, and then never bother to return to either thank those who have taken the effort to respond, or update us with the outcome. 

To quote our Aussie pals. “Good on ya mate” 

Andy

• Like 1
  • +1 2

I agree with Mr Plod who gave me some good advice awhile ago.  It is always nice to have an update

Sheltie,  this is a bit worrying on a 4 yr old 'van, you say that it was caused by the way the 'van was  kept on a slope.   We have a Bailey and they state in their manual to wind the front down to allow the water to run off when stored .  How was the water getting in to be able to run down the back of the panel , did you find out?