Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mprcomp

Am I being tight?

Recommended Posts

We got a 2015 586 van, so want external gas, 240V and a access hatch putting in. The guy said would be 125 to fit the access hatch so thought well if already there it's only couple of holes wtih drill then conenct up and do checks.

 

They came back with 300 just to fit the three parts. The parts are nearly 200 in total. 

 

Am I being tight or does 300 pounds seem ok for this? Guy says it's 5 hours work. Says it's due to having to do gas safety check and electric safety check after it's done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mprcomp said:

We got a 2015 586 van, so want external gas, 240V and a access hatch putting in. The guy said would be 125 to fit the access hatch so thought well if already there it's only couple of holes wtih drill then conenct up and do checks.

 

They came back with 300 just to fit the three parts. The parts are nearly 200 in total. 

 

Am I being tight or does 300 pounds seem ok for this? Guy says it's 5 hours work. Says it's due to having to do gas safety check and electric safety check after it's done.

 

Gas and electric safety checks only take a few minutes during a full NCC AWS service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five hours work?? 

 

He’s clearly a very slow worker, go elsewhere! 

 

When I bought my previous caravan I asked for an external BBQ point to be fitted. Cost me £125 all in. 

 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mprcomp said:

We got a 2015 586 van, so want external gas, 240V and a access hatch putting in. The guy said would be 125 to fit the access hatch so thought well if already there it's only couple of holes wtih drill then conenct up and do checks.

 

They came back with 300 just to fit the three parts. The parts are nearly 200 in total. 

 

Am I being tight or does 300 pounds seem ok for this? Guy says it's 5 hours work. Says it's due to having to do gas safety check and electric safety check after it's done.

When you say: - External Gas, 240V and an Access Hatch. Is the access hatch to gain access to the gas point and 240V socket or is it another access hatch?

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely having gas and electric points  in the same hatch wouldn't be a good idea. 

  • +1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Five hours work?? 

 

He’s clearly a very slow worker, go elsewhere! 

 

When I bought my previous caravan I asked for an external BBQ point to be fitted. Cost me £125 all in. 

 

Andy

op wants "external gas, 240V and a access hatch putting in" price and time seems to be for the whole job not just the gas

or that's the way I have read it

 

macafee2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas and electric point plus a hatch (I assume for the latter), sounds about right - parts and half a days work all in plus testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the housings for both the gas and electric need fitting, plus the pipework, fittings, wiring and safety checks then this is a reasonable price, especially if this is being carried out by someone who is experienced as it will give peace of mind that the job is done properly. If they are not suitably qualified then go elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No all seperate but near each other. So gas point at front so goes into front locker I imagine so gas is right there. Then access hatch a little bit the right. Then after that a 240 socket. Both hatch and 240 socket should go under front seat. 

4 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Gas and electric point plus a hatch (I assume for the latter), sounds about right - parts and half a days work all in plus testing.

No not the parts. The parts I have bought have cost 200 pounds. The fitting of the three parts is 300 pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could ask at another dealer to see what they would charge. If fitting the external 240 volt socket is a high part of the cost, then you could always not bother and use a short extension lead through your new hatch to your awning. and when not in use put it in the hatch and close it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think 3 hours work maximum at a cost of about £65 an hour tops.  They will be ripping you off at £300 for labour!  People quote high when they do not want the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told recently that a rate of £95 an hour was being achieved for some rebuild work.....not mine!

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another local place charges 45 an hour. I was hoping for less than 200 really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mprcomp said:

No all seperate but near each other. So gas point at front so goes into front locker I imagine so gas is right there. Then access hatch a little bit the right. Then after that a 240 socket. Both hatch and 240 socket should go under front seat. 

No not the parts. The parts I have bought have cost 200 pounds. The fitting of the three parts is 300 pounds.

£60 an hour if its a one man band does seem a little steep. If however it is with a dealer with a work shop that seems a little on the low side as the overheads have to be paid for, nowadays £95 to £110 is not uncommon for work on a car at a dealership.

kot

pigs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local dealer charges £45 an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

surely for any job you want doing you would get a few quotes in first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

generally speaking it would take approximately 2 hours per socket to fit (depending on location of power/gas pipe) so when we sell a van is usually works out to be around £180-£220 per socket including parts, the variation for this will really depending on hoe additional wiring/pipe/fittings is need to complete the job.

 

so £300 to fit both sockets and wire/plumb them doesn't sound to expensive IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you being tight? NO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...