Sign in to follow this  
Nick England

A newcomer to caravanning

Posted (edited)

Evening all,

We've taken the rather bold step into owning a caravan.

I know nothing about caravans, but my wife bought a second hand one this week off Facebook on a whim. We need to start caravanning she said.

It's a Sprite Europa 500 L. It's been sitting for a year on a campsite, and looks like bad language  removed. Good price though.

Initial inspection was it didn't smell damp, but we noticed some ingress from a damaged nearside kerb outside panel on further inspection after buying. The undersides, chassis and most of the shell look ok, and the damp interior panels seem to be salvageable and not too widespread . One spot, nearside front. That's it.

Hopefully shouldn't be too much to fix, and will post some pics asking for advice once we get over to it again tomorrow.

Will post a few more pics tomorrow and requests for advice once we start getting our hands dirty.

Cheers,

20190718_112550.jpg

Edited by Nick England

If it's been sitting on a site for a long time the tow hitch, braking system and tyres need looking at as a priority.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick England said:

I know nothing about caravans

Having said that, I would suggest, for safety's sake and peace of mind, you get a mobile, registered caravan tech to give it at least a chassis service. As Jaydug said "tow hitch, braking system and tyres" and everything else underneath. It would also be worth getting the gas and electrical systems checked, in that order of priority. 

As said, tyres and gas system check are a priority for the sake of your family.  We looked at quite a few of the cheapies on FB marketplace and many were not fit to be even a chicken coop.  On one "damp free" caravan the damp meter went right through the wall to the outer skin leaving a huge imprint in the wall in the bathroom!

Sound advice in the previous posts.

If you are in need of further information it can easily be found by clicking HERE

Good luck.

Thanks for that everyone.

Would you advise a mobile service on site? I had planned to tow it to a service station five miles away.

I use a local mobile AWS technician for servicing. A full service, habitation & chassis, costs me about £190.

A mobile guy will need hardstanding at least a metre clear around the van - he has to jack up the van to remove the wheels and hubs to inspect/adjust the brakes.

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/

Welcome and Yes - mobile service on site 'just in case' there any serious problems.

Happy caravaning!