Posted (edited)

Hi I have a dometic fridge in my caravan came home and all the ice build up has gone at the back of and seems warm

I live in the caravan so fridge is on all the time and all ways has constant power 

I still have electric power going, 

Not sure  if that means door was left open a bit or fuse blown? 

Has anybody come across it?

IMG_20190720_214230.jpg

Edited by wolfgang1983

When the caravan is being towed, 12volt supply isn't sufficient to keep the fridge at freezing level.   All it will do is to slow down the warming process.  

8 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

When the caravan is being towed, 12volt supply isn't sufficient to keep the fridge at freezing level.   All it will do is to slow down the warming process.  

I live in the caravan so fridge is on all the time and all ways has constant power 

1 minute ago, wolfgang1983 said:

Sorry!   I read your post as though you had been towing home.  

16 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Sorry!   I read your post as though you had been towing home.  

I think there may have been to much ice build up in the fridge so must of defrosted it self?? 

Because I closed the door and checked and put temp up left it over night and cool again.

May have to get the door re sealed.

18 hours ago, Jaydug said:

That is not true. 

IF the vehicle wiring is done correctly and a 12v supply makes it to the fridge not only will it maintain temperature it will actually freeze whilst towing, you do however need thick cables between battery and towing socket.

• Like 1

Two ways to check the door seal.

1) Wait until it is as dark as possible and place a torch - switched on - in the fridge. Close the door - can you see light from the torch?

2) Place a piece of paper in the door frame area - shut the door. Can you pull the paper with ease or dofficuty?

Cheers

Russ

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/07/2019 at 05:40, AJGalaxy2012 said:

That is not true. 

IF the vehicle wiring is done correctly and a 12v supply makes it to the fridge not only will it maintain temperature it will actually freeze whilst towing, you do however need thick cables between battery and towing socket.

Absolutely right. When I tow the ice cube tray stays absolutely rock solid. If the cubes haven’t been used in the journey then I chuck them when we finally store the van.  My 23 yr old Tow car had to be rewired  as I had the original thin wiring in it- my auto electrician recognised the problem and rewired  with much thicker wire- keep a polar happy now!! 

Edited by Bobajob63

10 hours ago, Bobajob63 said:

Absolutely right. When I tow the ice cube tray stays absolutely rock solid. If the cubes haven’t been used in the journey then I chuck them when we finally store the van.  My 23 yr old Tow car had to be rewired  as I had the original thin wiring in it- my auto electrician recognised the problem and rewired  with much thicker wire- keep a polar happy now!! 

I did actually go one stage further and add a small PSU to boost the voltage at the back of the car, with a meter on the caravan supply the voltage was increased to get 13.8v on the back of the fridge. It was less than £10 and makes a huge difference.