Sign in to follow this  
Rselbo

Just bought first Caravan, get it in 2 weeks

I'm Rod and just saying Hi, the wife Debbie who plans to join the forum later, we both plan to do many weekend trips around the UK over the next few years, so I will have many questions :) 

First one is as I don't know what section this question should be in, I have been told I have to buy a ALKO Wheel Lock, the Caravan I have bought is 2018 Double axle Swift Eccles 635, do I have to purchase 2 are they all standard and where is the best place to purchase this, same goes for the Hitch Lock I have to buy also :) Any help would be appreciated.   

Posted (edited)

Hi and welcome! How exciting for you. Regarding the AlKo wheel locks, you will usually need two wheel locks of some description but are AlKo locks  a requirement specifically from your insurer? I only ask as the AlKo locks are difficult to fit as they are a precise fit in the style of wheel fitted to your ‘van and both wheels have to be in exact alignment to fit them which invariably requires one wheel to be lifted clear of the ground to rotate it into the correct position. There a several other locks which are just as much of a deterrent but far easier to fit. The AlKo hitch lock is a good one and dead easy to fit. eBay is a good place to look for everything you’ll need. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
  • Like 1

Hi Drew, thanks for your reply, I just checked and no the Insurance company are not insisting on the Alko Wheel Lock, that was advice from the supplier, so I would rather take your advice and get an easier one to fit, can you recommend one that would fit my make and model of Caravan :)

10 minutes ago, Rselbo said:

Hi Drew, thanks for your reply, I just checked and no the Insurance company are not insisting on the Alko Wheel Lock, that was advice from the supplier, so I would rather take your advice and get an easier one to fit, can you recommend one that would fit my make and model of Caravan :)

All of the companies that I have used dont insist on two wheel locks on my twin axle, much less hassle to just fit one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Look at Nemesis. My insurers will let me fit just one on my TA but it carries a penalty. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have an Alko on my SA caravan and it hardly ever gets used as it's so awkward to fit, especially if you need to level the 'van. I suspect many are like this.

We are getting a new TA is a week, fitting two Alko locks is an even more dispiriting prospect, so I've just ordered two Nemesis Ultra wheel locks (same approval level as the Alko) which my insurance company approve of.

This is why I chose the Nemesis.

This is why I didn't get another Alko, and that's without having to level it! Note the SA demo is on a raised ramp to make it as easy as possible.

BH

Edited by Blackhart
  • Like 1

Thank you all, this is so helpful :)

To the OP - check your weights. If you took your driving test after 1/1/97 you will need to take an additional test to upgrade your licence from B to B+E which allows you to tow a gross train weight (GTW) in excess of 3500Kg. Note that the train weight includes the towing vehicle at plated weight and the caravan at MTPLM, not the actual GTWs at the time.

If you took your test before that date you have so-called grandparent rights which allows you to drive a GTW up to 7500Kg.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Remember too that if fitting two wheel locks to a twin-axle caravan, both locks should be on the same side of the caravan (not one each side).

• Like 1

Hi and welcome

When you collect your caravan make a list of all the things you want to check or have explained.

Sit down in the caravan and check off the items one at a time - take your TIME!

You will be so pleased to receive your caravan that it is very easy to forget to ask questions.

Best of luck and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1

Hi Bubble, pen and pad has been with me since purchase LOL cheers