Durbanite

Pitches with private bathroom and shower

A couple of camp sites now have pitches with their own private bathroom and shower however at a horrendous price ranging from about £40 to over £70 a night in the low to mid season. 

I doubt if we would take advantage of such a super pitch even if they were priced lower.  After all who wants to get up during the night, go outside to use the bathroom.  Even in the morning you are nice and snug in your caravan and now you need to go out into the cool air to have a nice hot shower when finished back into the cool air to go back to the caravan.

TBH we would prefer a fully serviced pitch where we could hook up to mains water and waste water drainage.  Which would you prefer?  :)

There is a nice site with these facilities at Narbonne Plage that we stayed at a few years ago and also with the benefit of being in ACSI

6 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

There is a nice site with these facilities at Narbonne Plage that we stayed at a few years ago and also with the benefit of being in ACSI

That one is reasonable priced in comparison to the ones in the UK.

There are many of these in France. We don't fancy it for the reason Durbanite has given. They are often packaged with a very large pitch, furniture, parasol, and the washroom includes shower, toilet, hand basin and  outside washing up sink.

59 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

A couple of camp sites now have pitches with their own private bathroom and shower

Camping Caceres have had them for several years.   Really great.   And at €16 per night, it's excellent value.

Picture was taken in 2016.

P1050711.JPG.53aa879225fff81e517c72d91cfd0c8f.JPG

I was really referring to the UK particularly the high prices and not sites in the EU however even in the EU not much point if there are fully serviced pitches on the site.  Sorry for the confusion.  :)

C&CC THSs for us, using all the services on-board that we paid for!  :)

BH

• +1 2

Can't see the point in this country where the weather and decent onboard facilities work against them.

Maybe good for those with tents but don't really embrace camping because of the toilet trek?

At those prices I think I'd dump the van and hotel/b&b/air BnB/cottage it.

These are hugely popular on the continent as many European vans are sparsely equipped with loos and showers if at all - Eribas for example have very little. We turn up in our much better equipped vans which really just need water, drainage, gas and power and are baffled by these. An Eriba camper would be delighted. I think UK sites are just following the trend, and, as we are seeing with the Logan huts everywhere on perfectly good pitches, campsites see more profit per square metre.

5 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Camping Caceres have had them for several years.   Really great.   And at €16 per night, it's excellent value.

Picture was taken in 2016.

P1050711.JPG.53aa879225fff81e517c72d91cfd0c8f.JPG

Ha

Know it well! It's not a great concept when it's minus 10 outside though.

And given its on our winter route to Spain...

Posted (edited)

We use them all the time, in fact I’m on one right now in France https://www.campingliez.com/fr/

65€ in the main season for 4 of us.

Not seen them in the UK but we always book them if available in Holland, France or Germany, probably because I have a poor mans caravan with woeful facilities  :) lol.

4006DA58-D39A-4492-BEE0-3EDCD5EA3935.jpeg

This one was a few weeks ago in Holland 

27102A67-A54F-4EE6-96B7-0075F02054D4.jpeg

They are popular in the EU because we continental types have poorly equipped, water tight caravans

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

27102A67-A54F-4EE6-96B7-0075F02054D4.jpeg

They are popular in the EU because we continental types have poorly equipped caravans

Speak for yourself, my EU Caravan is very well equipped. 😄

7 hours ago, svimes said:

Speak for yourself, my EU Caravan is very well equipped. 😄

You keep telling me that my caravan is poorly equipped , yes I know the UK is still just about still in the EU but you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You keep telling me that my caravan is poorly equipped

Do I?

13 hours ago, PandR said:

Know it well! It's not a great concept when it's minus 10 outside tho

Minus 10 degrees at Caceres?   Not likely!  My picture was taken in November.   I'd been sitting out.

On 19/07/2019 at 13:37, Durbanite said:

A couple of camp sites now have pitches with their own private bathroom and shower . . .

Hmmm.

Given the choice I still prefer to stick with our on board facilities.

Hurricane_31D_209.jpg

52 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Given the choice I still prefer to stick with our on board facilities.

No chance, you're out of loo roll 

Better off going into a hotel at this rate.

• +1 1

All we want is a quiet corner of a field, ideally with a good view ..  EHU is useful and waste water drain would be a bonus .. hm .. sounds like a CL ..  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, blondchaser said:

Better off going into a hotel at this rate.

Overall using a hotel or an Airbnb is a lot cheaper than owning a caravan and also without the worry even if hotel/Airbnb is used several times a year. 

Edited by Durbanite

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Overall using a hotel or an Airbnb is a lot cheaper than owning a caravan and also without the worry even if hotel/Airbnb is used several times a year. 

Thats quite a claim😀

Surely there are so many variables it depends on individual situations?

eg

assuming manufacturers guidelines of 90 days per annum for 10 years.

thats 900 overnight stays.

room rate for us in the UK is £80 per night

so that’s £54000!

Surely assuming a 4 year old caravan at say £15000 a caravan is a much cheaper option?

Now of course if you only use the caravan a few weeks in the year-say four-with no weekend use AirB&B wins out-cost wise.

Then again if you have a new £25000 caravan then hotels become more attractive.

Then again £4000 caravan for 5 years numbers change again.

Having used Air B&B in the UK Majorca and the Canaries they can be a rather stressful experience eg

1 finding them on arrival!

2 getting strange house stuff working

3 contacting the “owner”

4 paying AirB&Bs 15% charge on top!

5 falling foul of hidden extras-like vaguely worded “cleaning charges” €75 a week! in my case.

6 falling foul of the dreaded “property withdrawn” without due notice!

At least if all else fails you have your caravan behind the car to sleep in😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

That's not the case for us. 

13 hours ago, Disco Kid said:

All we want is a quiet corner of a field, ideally with a good view ..  EHU is useful and waste water drain would be a bonus .. hm .. sounds like a CL ..  

Sounds like proper caravanning !!

We have a centrally heated luxury bathroom.  Why would we wish to leave our centrally heated luxury home to use an outside bathroom. 

Think I read about outside bathrooms/loos pre 1950s.

Plus, we can move our centrally heated (and air conditioned home all over Europe).

PS thought this was a caravan forum not an Airbnb forum!

No caravan has a ‘luxury bathroom’ it’s basically pooing in a cupboard. lol

The ‘outside’ on pitch ablutions we sometimes book are certainly luxurious and heated etc, I spent enough of my life roughing it in a field/desert/hell hole so I take all the little extras I can nowadays.